Two explosions at Boston Marathon finish line injure dozens: reports

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Boston Marathon Blasts

I have a cousin running the Boston Marathon today, and she just posted to facebook that she finished the marathon, despite two explosions that went off near the finish line, injuring runners and spectators.

So far the news has no real details about it, aside from the fact that people were injured.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
People injured in explosions near Boston Marathon finish line - World - CBC News

Explosions rock Boston Marathon; several injured - CNN.com

Boston Marathon explosion: Dozens reported hurt | World | News | National Post

Two explosions shattered the finish of the Boston Marathon on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry away the injured while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race were rerouted away from the smoking site.

The New York Post is reporting that 12 people were killed, with twice as many injured, while Fox News is reporting that police say three are dead, as spectators said they saw people being carried off with lost limbs.

Police have not indicated what the source of the two explosions could be.

Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

“There are a lot of people down,” said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Find the bastards who did this, cut their nuts off, and stuff them down their throats till they suffocate.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
crude bombs... very crude

I just found this.
Terrorism strikes Boston Marathon as bombs kill 2, wound dozens - CNN.com
Authorities in Boston found at least one other explosive device that they were dismantling, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said.

Davis said a third blast at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library was believed to be related to the marathon bombings, but police later said that incident was believed to be fire-related. The library said all staff and visitors are safe.

It was unclear who may have planted the marathon bombs. There were no credible threats before the race, a state government official said.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I just found this.
Terrorism strikes Boston Marathon as bombs kill 2, wound dozens - CNN.com
Authorities in Boston found at least one other explosive device that they were dismantling, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said.

Davis said a third blast at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library was believed to be related to the marathon bombings, but police later said that incident was believed to be fire-related. The library said all staff and visitors are safe.

It was unclear who may have planted the marathon bombs. There were no credible threats before the race, a state government official said.
JfK was not a bomb but they are uncertain if it is connected but probably. My guy was already back in his hotel room but I didn't even know it had happened. He texted me he had done a great time, felt good... I continued on at work and heard in the car on the way home. He got to me once he left town as there were problems texting and phoning.... what a day.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
JfK was not a bomb but they are uncertain if it is connected but probably. My guy was already back in his hotel room but I didn't even know it had happened. He texted me he had done a great time, felt good... I continued on at work and heard in the car on the way home. He got to me once he left town as there were problems texting and phoning.... what a day.

Even knowing he was finished by the time it happened, you must be very relieved. Pour yourself a nice glass of red tonight.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Re: Boston Marathon Blasts

cheers woman, I am drinking a lot of wine

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Re: Boston Marathon Blasts

I have a cousin running the Boston Marathon today, and she just posted to facebook that she finished the marathon, despite two explosions that went off near the finish line, injuring runners and spectators.

So far the news has no real details about it, aside from the fact that people were injured.

Glad to hear your family is safe Karrie.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Even knowing he was finished by the time it happened, you must be very relieved. Pour yourself a nice glass of red tonight.
Thanks so much. :)
I didn't even get hysterical until I knew he was safe... began drinking IMMEDIATELY.... he sure will remember this run. It is his third... unbelievable.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I didn't even get hysterical until I knew he was safe... began drinking IMMEDIATELY.... he sure will remember this run. It is his third... unbelievable.

Then you do not panic, most do. Now after it is quite normal to get hysterical, upset, cry from happiness that he is safe.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I completely understand that sentiment. I am great in a crisis....it's afterwards that I fall apart into a blubbering mess, lol.

Don't drink too much otherwise he may never forget his third run but you might forget a few things. ;)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Then you do not panic, most do. Now after it is quite normal to get hysterical, upset, cry from happiness that he is safe.
weird it is a weird feeling because denial is in your head but your gut says maybe...then with the relief comes the hysteria...and I was thinking of the dead because you realize that could have been someone YOU love but none the less it is someone that OTHERS love...it feels bizarre.

And yeah I am calm, usually in crisis.

I completely understand that sentiment. I am great in a crisis....it's afterwards that I fall apart into a blubbering mess, lol.

Don't drink too much otherwise he may never forget his third run but you might forget a few things. ;)
separated at birth...yup, when everyone else is calm I have a meltdown... but throughout the chaos I can direct everyone...lol