Georgia hostage standoff ends with gunman shot dead and firefighters unhurt

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Georgia hostage standoff ends with gunman shot dead and firefighters unhurt

Man demanded during hours-long standoff in Atlanta that his power and cable be turned back on, according to authorities

Associated Press
Gwinnett county police officers at the scene of the standoff. Photograph: Reuters

Police have shot dead a gunman who held four firefighters hostage for hours in a suburban home in Atlanta, Georgia. The hostages only sustained slight injuries, authorities said.
The gunman, who has not been identified, had demanded that his power and cable be turned back on, said Gwinnett county police corporal Edwin Ritter on Wednesday night. According to public records, the home is in foreclosure.
"It's an unfortunate circumstance. We did not want this to end this way," Ritter said. "But with the decisions this guy was making, this was his demise."
Five firefighters had responded on Wednesday afternoon to what seemed like a routine medical call. The gunman then released one firefighter to move a fire truck.
Police used an explosion to distract the gunman and rush into the home. One officer was shot in the hand or arm but should be fine, Ritter said.
The firefighters mainly suffered cuts and bruises in the explosion, said fire department captain Tommy Rutledge.
Police had surrounded the home, and a hostage negotiator had been in contact with the suspect.

Georgia hostage standoff ends with gunman shot dead and firefighters unhurt | World news | guardian.co.uk

Good grief, 9-1-1 is now being used as 'dial a hostage'? How is that going to effect first responder procedures do you think?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Good point. I can see routinely dispatching police to a fire/EMS call, but I would hate to think it might get to the point where fire/EMS people wait for police to arrive, thus delaying their response.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Good point. I can see routinely dispatching police to a fire/EMS call, but I would hate to think it might get to the point where fire/EMS people wait for police to arrive, thus delaying their response.
It already happened.

A few times with fatal results.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Now that this guy has tried it, and it's been publicized, what are the odds that some other nut case might try it? It has to be crossing the minds of many, many first responders tonight I'll bet.

It already happened.

A few times with fatal results.

If there's something currently happening, like a sniper or something actively shooting people, they don't have to risk their lives in order to try to save someone else. It would be a waste of an attempt anyway, then you probably have two injured people instead of one. That I can completely understand.

But this sounds like it was a regular call that turned out to be a ruse. I'd hate to have that in the back of my mind during the course of my job.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Now that this guy has tried it, and it's been publicized, what are the odds that some other nut case might try it? It has to be crossing the minds of many, many first responders tonight I'll bet.

This was a better outcome than the last one.

Police seem to make a point of ending the people who try this, so it's definitely not something that should become any more of a trend than it's been in the past.