No American democracy for Americans?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
No American democracy for Americans?

The U.S. considers itself the most democratic country in the world. At the same time, the country is a leader when it comes to surveillance of its own citizens. If earlier more resources were required to monitor citizens, now extensive networks, high-speed computers and other modern technology significantly reduce costs.
The Mayor of New York Michael Bloomberg, commenting on the total implementation of surveillance and rumors about possible use of unmanned aerial vehicles to monitor the situation in the streets, said that the process would not stop, and the citizens must get used to it.

Every day, hundreds of thousands of surveillance cameras record faces entering the metro and various buildings, as well as license plates of passing cars. Very soon, drones with high-definition cameras may appear in the sky.

The authorities called such steps excessive security. Human rights activists protested, saying that this was an attempt of total control over the Americans, with the use of military developments.

Michael Bloomberg said that in the event of a shooting or murder, the first thing that the police ask for is footage from security cameras, as now they are installed everywhere. The Mayor stressed the need to get used to this and not be afraid. He added that people may be scared of drones, but what is the difference between a camera on a building or a drone? He said that soon face recognition technology would be implemented and the surveillance zone will be expanded. The citizens and government should only establish control over the work of these systems.
Bloomberg is confident that the installation of cameras will help the police to identify criminals (ranging from traffic offenders to murderers) and save resources. However, the exact information on the number of New York police cameras is not available in public domain.

We only know that police installed about 3,000 cameras in the streets of Manhattan. The system also includes cameras in the buildings of large companies in the downtown. There are over two thousand cameras in the subway, and the same number on the buses.

Ordinary residents installed even more cameras. Every year in New York over 100,000 surveillance cameras are sold. Residents of some areas buy equipment with their own money, and then offer law enforcement agencies to connect their cameras to the combined system.
However, not all Americans are cooperating with the authorities, and many see this as interference in their personal space and signs of a totalitarian society. A New Yorker Thomas said: "If we forget about some of the personal rights, pushing the slogans of national security, one day we can lose our freedom. Individual rights are the most important thing in life. The U.S. has been fighting terrorism for 20 years, but how many incidents the authorities failed to prevent through these surveillance systems? These systems are controlled by people who want to control the society and establish a dictatorship."

There are numerous legal gaps in total use of surveillance cameras. Legislators should study all nuances in detail so that one day the fight against crime does not become a total surveillance of its own citizens.
The U.S. today is developing a system that allows using special cameras to identify people who are agitated and mentally unstable, as well as potential criminals. Most likely, these cameras use a slight shake of the head, limbs and body, though their work principle may be slightly different.
U.S. agency DARPA has long been studying the reasons that make the average person violent. When the mechanism of the appearance of cruelty is understood, the U.S. intelligence services will develop methods for its suppression. How exactly this will happen is not yet clear. Violence will be fought either by chemistry, or remotely by radiation.

The U.S. is also implementing a system that allows fingerprints scanning at a distance of 20 meters. This is a very convenient system that can identify a person quietly in a public place. A person walks by a camera that reads her fingerprints and runs them through the database.
In order to spy on its own citizens, the U.S. government is also using microarrays RFID that can independently identify the owner. These chips are integrated into bank cards, so every American who uses a bank card can always be identified.
It is no longer a secret that mobile communications allow the secret services to obtain the required information. U.S. intelligence agencies have recognized the fact that in certain situations they are watching their own citizens, using data from their cell phones, without the knowledge of their owners.

Americans also control social networks. Several civil law organizations have accused the U.S. company Raytheon of creating a program used for watching people on social networks. The U.S. authorities have been using it since 2010, tracking information on Twitter, Facebook and Foursquare.

The program can also view pictures of the users and identify where they were taken. Each person's location can be followed, including the places they go and even what they eat. This information can help intelligence agencies to predict human behavior.

Cameras installed at every street corner in the United States scan license plates, and tracking the movement of any car is very easy.
The same technology that identifies the owner of the car by appearance is being tested by U.S. law enforcement agencies. The so-called "smart" lights are being installed that can take pictures of people, record video and listen to their conversations. Typically, they are installed in major U.S. cities. Moreover, the U.S. government is creating a cyber-security center to keep track of all citizens.
The center will collect and store information on nearly any person on the territory of the U.S., including phone conversations. The U.S. government intends to spend $2 billion to establish the center. The center will be located in two hangars with a powerful server that can store the volume of data that is two hundred thousand times greater than that of all human knowledge. The above technologies allow figuring out the personality of nearly any person within a few seconds.
The U.S. authorities decided to use military equipment against their people. U.S. drones Predator, originally intended for military operations and the fight against terrorism, will now track movement of civilians. According to their characteristics, these drones should be able to determine even at night whether a person is armed.
Using mobile phones frequency, these devices will be able to clearly identify the location of a person. The U.S. government has legalized the use of drones on its territory, which aroused a storm of outrage from human rights groups. "I am concerned that the UAV will be used against law-abiding firearm owners in the USA," said Alan Gottlieb, founder of the supporters of the Second Amendment of the Constitution. "This will lead to a violation of rights under the Second and the Fourth Amendments."
It seems that the U.S. government is not overly concerned about violation of the rights of its citizens. The important thing is control over everyone and everything. Russian Foreign Ministry in October of last year drew attention of the U.S. administration to the facts of child abuse, police violence, invasion of privacy and reduction of freedom of speech. It also questioned the democracy in the USA, which allows intelligence agencies to check all electronic communications of people located in the country without a court order. But the U.S. government does not want to see the problems and continues to violate the rights of their citizens. In the U.S., there is no anonymity, the last remnants of private life gradually dissolve in the ocean of high-tech devices. Total control of the country could lead to a simple dictatorship, slightly covered with a thin veil of democracy.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If you grasp the meaning of the word "democracy" and " surveillance", you will find the answer to your question .
Perhaps you can starrt with a dictionary ..................make sure it is English .
    1. <H3>de·moc·ra·cy

1. /diˈmäkrəsē/

Noun
      • A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.
      • A state governed in such a way.
      sur·veil·lance /sərˈvāləns/

Noun
      Close observation, esp. of a suspected spy or criminal.

1. So, I repeat, what do these have to do with each other?
    </H3>

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you grasp the meaning of the word "democracy" and " surveillance", you will find the answer to your question .
Perhaps you can starrt with a dictionary ..................make sure it is English .

lol! That's ridiculous.

If you grasp the meaning of democracy, you'd understand that all of these changes have come about because of democracy, because of the view of the majority. As a matter of fact, pure democracy can create a massive loss of freedom for people. The will of the majority is notoriously cruel to the minority. That's why so many democracies have built in inalienable rights for their citizens, things that the majority can't strip them of. And the right to not be surveilled in public isn't one of them last I checked.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yeah, I am pretty sure he'd come to the same conclusion that I did - there's no connection.
Funny that you should comment upon the use of an English dictionary considering you failed to grasp that you used the words "meaning" and "word" (both are singular) to refer to TWO words (plural).

CanIrish

Nominee Member
Nov 20, 2012
Ireland
Democracy is a form of political system where people vote for their government, it has nothing to do with what you have written about.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Question, Cliffy.

It seems to me that there are two reasons to fear surveillance. The first is if one is doing illegal things, the second is if one is doing embarassing things.

In the first case, don't we want them to be deterred or caught?

In the second, wouldn't a little courage and integrity take care of the problem?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Question, Cliffy.

It seems to me that there are two reasons to fear surveillance. The first is if one is doing illegal things, the second is if one is doing embarassing things.

In the first case, don't we want them to be deterred or caught?

In the second, wouldn't a little courage and integrity take care of the problem?
Privacy. The government has no business spying on its citizens. It is all about control. They use fear to control, always have and always will. Where is the freedom in living in fear. Crime rates are down but fear is at an all time high. It is a manufactured fear, one that causes seemingly rational people to want to give away their freedoms for security. There is no such thing as security. It is a false carrot waived in people's faces to get them to conform to the status quo. But Hey! If you want to be controlled and manipulated by Big Brother, knock yourself out.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Privacy. The government has no business spying on its citizens. It is all about control. They use fear to control, always have and always will. Where is the freedom in living in fear. Crime rates are down but fear is at an all time high. It is a manufactured fear, one that causes seemingly rational people to want to give away their freedoms for security. There is no such thing as security. It is a false carrot waived in people's faces to get them to conform to the status quo. But Hey! If you want to be controlled and manipulated by Big Brother, knock yourself out.

Aren't you just swapping out one absolute for another? Absolute fear of crime and mistrust within society with absolute fear and mistrust of any kind of authority?

Crime rates may be down but crime has not been eradicated. Should we remove all cameras from banks, ATMs, perhaps remove lighting from back alleys because fear is after all just completely fabricated and no human being would ever do harm upon another?

When they try to put a camera in my home is where they cross the line, not when they have video surveillance of public roadways and corridors.

But what the hell do I know, I'm just an empty headed sheep longing to be controlled and manipulated and unable to think for herself because I don't fear the same things you fear.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Privacy. The government has no business spying on its citizens. It is all about control. They use fear to control, always have and always will.
OK, that's what I'm trying to do here, move beyond merely citing "privacy" as if it were the Holy Grail. We treat "privacy" as if it were an unqualified good. But privacy, like just about anything else, can be used for good or ill. What if a person uses "privacy" to cover the fact that he's raping his daughter, or cooking up crystal meth?

It also seems to me that democracies are ideally suited to controlling the government. Maybe if We the People make the point strongly enough that the government has no interest in who you sleep with, or how you make your money (legally), or if you pick your nose, then we can make privacy less necessary.

Where is the freedom in living in fear.
I would suggest that the freedom comes in eliminating the fear, not in hiding it. An example would be the gay community. They lived in fear, hiding themselves and their sexuality, for centuries. Then there was a sea change, which in my opinion was driven by some very brave gay people essentially saying to the government and to the rest of society "Yeah. I AM a (fill in your favourite homophobic epithet here). What are you going to do about it?" Acceptance of homosexuality has occurred at a lightning pace, compared to the struggles of some other groups. And I credit, at least in large part, gays who got rid of their fear.

Crime rates are down but fear is at an all time high. It is a manufactured fear, one that causes seemingly rational people to want to give away their freedoms for security.
In some ways this is correct. In others, not so much. I used to fear getting the crap pounded out of me by rednecks, some of whom wore police uniforms. And that was a perfectly legitimate fear, and it's one shared by most non-whites in American society. But there's less of it now than there was 50 years ago.

There is no such thing as security. It is a false carrot waived in people's faces to get them to conform to the status quo.
Buffalo ****. If "there is no such thing as security," then we can just disband the army, the police, and all the other structures we use to improve our security. You are indulging in a false dichotomy: pretending that security is either absolute or non-existent, when you know damn well that security is a more or less thing, not a yes or no thing. Spare me.

But Hey! If you want to be controlled and manipulated by Big Brother, knock yourself out.
But Hey! If you want to be a belligerent jerk, knock your socks off. I'd hoped for better.

Make you a deal. If you want to come back and debate this with a modicum of civility and avoidance of hyperbole, logical fallacies, and combativeness, I'll debate it with you as long as you feel like. Maybe we'd each learn something.

But if you simply want to yell and show me and the world what a hard-as s grouch you are, I've really got better things to do.

Your move.

OK, that's what I'm trying to do here, move beyond merely citing "privacy" as if it were the Holy Grail. We treat "privacy" as if it were an unqualified good.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Buffalo ****. If "there is no such thing as security," then we can just disband the army, the police, and all the other structures we use to improve our security. You are indulging in a false dichotomy: pretending that security is either absolute or non-existent, when you know damn well that security is a more or less thing, not a yes or no thing. Spare me.

He'd be all for that.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You would? Get rid of all security, police, military, etc? You would like that?
Yeah. Not saying it's realistic, but I like to think outside the box.

Maybe if we didn't have a military, we wouldn't feel compelled to go around the world "liberating" folks.

As far as the cops go, just blue-skying here, let's try to imagine a country with, say, just one sheriff's department per county, mostly charged with delivering court paper. Defense of your life and property as your responsibility and that of your neighbours.

Wonder how that'd play out?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Maybe if we didn't have a military, we wouldn't feel compelled to go around the world "liberating" folks.

That'll never happen. The US gets the sh*t end of the stick as there is this global expectation that you (USA) is 'obligated' to stick-up for the little guy regardless of the nature of the conflict going on.

The big problem here is that the moment that you don't get involved, there is no lack of whiners that condemn you for greedy buggers as the nation with the conflict has no resources to be stolen. If, on the other hand, the US does get involved, you're pursuing some kind of evil plot bent on global domination.

Besides that, the UN will always piss and moan about the American's responsibility to police the world.