Calgary woman was ‘horrified’ with herself for dumping babies in trash, court told

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Calgary woman was ‘horrified’ with herself for dumping babies in trash, court told - The Globe and Mail

After each of three secret home deliveries, a court heard on Monday, Meredith Borowiec would wrap her newborns in a towel, place them in the bathroom waste bin, stuff the bag in the kitchen trash and seal it before “taking out the garbage” to a dumpster at her Calgary townhouse.

She didn’t look to check the gender of the first two children, one born in 2008, another in 2009, but she did hear the first infant mew “like a kitten” and the second emit a “tiny cry” before she turned her back on each.

During a videotaped interview with a female police detective in November, 2011, that was played in a Calgary courtroom on Monday, Ms. Borowiec said she swaddled the babies in towels “to protect” them and that she was “hoping somebody would help them out.” But deep down, she knew they were doomed.

“I was horrified with myself,” Ms. Borowiec said.

The bodies of those infants have never been found. Ms. Borowiec is on trial charged with two counts of second-degree murder.

The third child, a boy born in October, 2010, was rescued from the dumpster by the infant’s father, who didn’t know his girlfriend was pregnant, when passersby heard crying, and, according to police, has been placed in a “healthy home.”

Ms. Borowiec, now 31, has been in custody since her arrest in 2011, faces a second trial for attempted murder set for the fall.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have followed this for some time. In the Police interview she states she was horrified- Really- But to perpetrate such a crime on 3 occasions.

From the news article.
Calgary woman was ‘horrified’ with herself for dumping babies in trash, court told - The Globe and Mail

"but she did hear the first infant mew “like a kitten” and the second emit a “tiny cry” before she turned her back on each".
I'm there with ya.

I did note that she said she felt horrified with herself for dumping the babies, I also noted she did it repeatedly. Feeling horrified would have meant she dumped the baby in the trash waited for a period of time, came back to sanity, called 911 and went to the trash and rescued the baby . THAT is feeling horrified at one's actions.

I had little comment because I veered away from allowing my mind to analyze her behaviour. In order to do so one has to wander down her path and at first read, it is not only horrifying it is damn near impossible to push one's self there. I am lost as to what she was thinking/feeling/experiencing.

It is beyond comprehension. I have little problem doing a quick psychological assessment on most horrendous things but this is so far out there it is mind numbing.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This woman is a monster. I'm with SLM in thinking this woman should be sterilized to prevent the possibility of her doing this to another child. She should never be free again: I don't CARE if someone thinks she can be "cured" or treated.

I am just thankful the little boy escaped his siblings' fate...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This woman is a monster. I'm with SLM in thinking this woman should be sterilized to prevent the possibility of her doing this to another child. She should never be free again: I don't CARE if someone thinks she can be "cured" or treated.

I am just thankful the little boy escaped his siblings' fate...

I'm loathe to suggest the option, truly I am, but this women is like a serial killer that's breeding her own victims. I also hope she's locked away permanently but in the off chance she's not, let's make sure she can't do this again.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ok, I'm sure I'm going to regret this, but I have to ask...

What's the difference between this chick and someone who uses abortion over and over as birth control?

Seriously. Is it really just the fact that a not so fully developed fetus isn't so cute?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ok, I'm sure I'm going to regret this, but I have to ask...

What's the difference between this chick and someone who uses abortion over and over as birth control?

Seriously. Is it really just the fact that a not so fully developed fetus isn't so cute?

You probably will regret it, but not from me, lol.

I have my opinions on abortion, I'm not in favour of it but at the same time I don't think it's wise to outlaw it for reasons that will probably take this thread right off topic, so that's all I'll say about it.

I guess to me she seems to be giving birth in order to kill the child.

It reminds me very much of a documentary I saw on Aileen Wuornos, the female serial killer in Florida who was shooting men along the highway, obstensibly for trying to rape her (she said). Anyway, this woman's life and upbringing was absolutely horrendous, she was really treated like the scum of the earth by everybody (before she ever did anything to warrant it). And I remember them saying they think the first time she killed someone it may have been accidental but that she kept going back to it because it gave her a sense of power and a release of the pressure of the horrors of her life. This on top of obvious mental health issues. This woman reminds me of that for some reason. Whatever it does for her to kill these babies, I think she'll keep doing it. Could be wrong but that's how I read it.

So comparing that to someone who's horribly irresponsible with birth control and cavalier about terminating a pregnancy, I don't see the motivation as being the same. Although, arguably, the end result may be depending on your point of view with abortion.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So comparing that to someone who's horribly irresponsible with birth control and cavalier about terminating a pregnancy, I don't see the motivation as being the same.
“I didn’t want it to get hurt,” she said.

Now I realize that's just words, but this woman's cheese has obviously slipped right off her cracker. She says she didn't intend to hurt them, as apposed to 'terminating a pregnancy'.

So I see it a little differently than you at this point.

But I'll leave it at that, I really don't want to turn this into an abortion debate.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
“I didn’t want it to get hurt,” she said.

Now I realize that's just words, but this woman's cheese has obviously slipped right off her cracker. She says she didn't intend to hurt them, as apposed to 'terminating a pregnancy'.

So I see it a little differently than you at this point.

But I'll leave it at that, I really don't want to turn this into an abortion debate.

Yeah I get what you're saying, like I said end result is pretty much the same depending on where you come down on the debate itself.

But I wasn't kidding when I said this woman reads like a serial killer to me. I've done a bit of reading on the topic in the past, they go so far past the cheese slipping off the cracker thing, it's not even funny. It's a whole new world of non-logic that shockingly has it's own weird kind of logic.

To me, when she says those words, she's saying what she thinks people want to hear. You don't do something like this three times if it makes you feel horrified with yourself, you do this because it makes you feel good. As revolting as that may be for the rest of us.