Margaret Thatcher is dead.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just heard on C.B.C. radio that Margaret Thatcher has succumbed at age 87. What will her legacy be? Tough old broad for sure...........didn't take any crap.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yep.. Brought the unions under her heel and got their economy going.

Britain (or any other nation) could use someone like her today

Just heard on the news that she got booted out in 1990 because the ecomony was in a shambles! Yet you endorse Thatcher and condemn Obama!

87 is a good, long life and she did a hell of a lot with it. R.I.P.

Yeah, I kind of liked the old broad.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's what happens when you spread yourself too thin around the globe.

The UK tanked under Thatcher.

She didn't do jacksh*t in the way of benefitting anything.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's what happens when you spread yourself too thin around the globe.

The UK tanked under Thatcher.

She didn't do jacksh*t in the way of benefitting anything.

"When Thatcher took office in 1979, Britain’s trade unions were strong enough to knock out party leaders they opposed, and key industries, including utilities, were state-owned. By the time she stepped down 11 years later, her arguments for free- market economics, lower taxes and deregulated financial markets had been adopted across the nation’s political spectrum.
The transition was painful. Unemployment peaked at more than 3 million in the mid-1980s, and many places in the north of the country that had been world centers of manufacturing struggled to adapt to the new service economy.
“She was, quite simply, one of the most influential political leaders that the U.K., indeed the world, has ever produced,” said Tim Bale, professor of politics at Queen Mary University of London and author of “The Conservative Party From Thatcher To Cameron” (2010).
Thatcher was defined by the battles she took on: she waged war against Argentina, clashed with striking miners and forced fellow leaders to cut Britain’s financial contributions to the forerunner of the European Union."

Looks to me she did quite a bit, Petros!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You 'heard' didja?

Do any actual research on the relative conditions like how many Britons were living off of food stamps?

Yeah, I thought not

What's the big deal about food stamps? As far as I know they are just a means of preventing people from abusing welfare.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Looks to me she did quite a bit, Petros!
Was it benficial?

Yeah sure she was a half decent leader, but we are still paying Globally for the Randian financial stupidity today.

We are right back where we started with Keynesian economics

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Keeping in mind Thumper's advice, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all, " the following are my comments on her passing: