Rutgers Leaders Are Faulted on Abusive Coach

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This ran over and over on television my first reaction was isolated incident then Pen State
came to mind along with other institutions. We have a culture of bully mentality at the
educational levels middle schools, secondary schools and post secondary.
Our society preaches individualism, but if you are an individual in these institutions, they
use the institutional rules to force you to conform. If you don't play the game the way their
paycheck requires they use offensive language and gender or other slurs to humiliate
people.
The educational system must clean itself up before it will regain a measure of respect

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Should have been fired a long time ago. Try any of that nonsense on the streets and you'd get busted in a NY minute. It's time to end the bullying and abusiveness that goes on in the college coaching ranks.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This ran over and over on television my first reaction was isolated incident then Pen State
came to mind along with other institutions. We have a culture of bully mentality at the
educational levels middle schools, secondary schools and post secondary.
Our society preaches individualism, but if you are an individual in these institutions, they
use the institutional rules to force you to conform. If you don't play the game the way their
paycheck requires they use offensive language and gender or other slurs to humiliate
people.
The educational system must clean itself up before it will regain a measure of respect

I don't know that it is the education system as much as the athletics. Lets not kid ourselves, in the US college athletics are big business: they are what alumni rally around, come donation time, and if the programs are top ranked, they are literally worth tens if not hundreds of millions each year in TV/merchandising rights et al (with the athletes not allowed to receive any of it under NCAA rules). I didn't have the exposure when I was in Alberta but it makes the news more down here and it is a cesspool because of the dollars involved. Scandals like this one at Rutgers and the Penn State-Sandusky thing just highlight that fact for those of us that didn't already appreciate it. The problem is the NCAA is as corrupt and self serving as the schools that feast off the profits so...