Mulcair supports East / West pipeline

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The reason Mulcair supports the east west oil pipeline is because if his party forms the Government he will then be able to force a made in Canada Oil price policy.

This will be particularity critical if the Northern Gateway Pipeline does not get built or the XL line.
With the east west pipeline in place, production of the Oil Sands will be ramped up to meet demand.
If the NDP form Government, they will be able to control the price of oil flowing east, thereby satisfying their eastern voting base.
With ramped up oil production, and no options to sell their oil elsewhere, the oil companies will be forced to produce oil for the easterners at a discounted rate.

djwood

Apr 2, 2013
Mildmay, Ontario
Yes indeed let them them build an west to east pipe line as it would make a more accessible target for radical environmentalist to practice Monkey Wrench technology here at home. And than there is the issue of crossing First Nations Territories and into Quebec where Harper is so dearly loved.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The East already has millions of agents working in the gas and oil industry in very sensitive positions just a few more months and it will be ours anyway. Cooperate and you won't get hurt.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hey, I'm with Tommy Boy on this one. It's one of the very few smart things he's suggested.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hey, I'm with Tommy Boy on this one. It's one of the very few smart things he's suggested.

Reason?

I don't know where I stand between east-west or North-South. However, what I can say is that neither is eny more environmentally friendly than the other, so his rationale cannot be environmental unless he knows something I don't.

My guess is, it's nationalism plain and simple, and that's not a very rational argument either, seeing that then it's pure emotionalism.

Now I'm curious, if it's not environmental, is it naitonalism or something else?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Eastern refineries are buying oil at $10 to $14 more per barrel than they would if they were buying from the west.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Eastern refineries are buying oil at $10 to $14 more per barrel than they would if they were buying from the west.
No, once you start buying from the west, you will have to pay the same as your paying now!! No discounts for easterners I'm afraid!!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No, once you start buying from the west, you will have to pay the same as your paying now!! No discounts for easterners I'm afraid!!

That's fine. We'll just take the difference in transfer payments. Prepare to work some overtime.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
That's fine. We'll just take the difference in transfer payments. Prepare to work some overtime.

Well we might just cut you of Transfer Payments. Then what you gonna do? You just might wind up freezing in the dark..eh!!

I'm referring to Equalization Payments!!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well we might just cut you of Transfer Payments. Then what you gonna do? You just might wind up freezing in the dark..eh!!

Unless you wind up either Premier or PM I doubt that'll happen. If worst comes to worse we have both hydro and a forrest the size of Europe to keep us warm.

I could have my history wrong here but wasnt forcing the west to ship/sell their stuff to the east the thing which pissed everyone off about NEP?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We sort of have an NEP. Canadians (Govt) own huge chucks of several oil companies just not as "crowns" that make them nationalized.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Unless you wind up either Premier or PM I doubt that'll happen. If worst comes to worse we have both hydro and a forrest the size of Europe to keep us warm.

I could have my history wrong here but wasnt forcing the west to ship/sell their stuff to the east the thing which pissed everyone off about NEP?

From what I understand, the Equalization agreement is up for renegotiation in the next few years..... Careful what you wish for

We sort of have an NEP. Canadians (Govt) own huge chucks of several oil companies just not as "crowns" that make them nationalized.

Difference is: The Crown had to put up their money for it this time

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all I hope they stop the XL pipeline and the one destined to cross BC
known as Enbridge. No I am not some old hippy but I am an economic
nationalist who believe's we should first service our own markets for resources
and secondly we should sell any excess as finished product only no crude.
East West sounds good to me.
As a modern state in the twenty first century we should indeed have a National
Energy Policy. In the future it would be a strength not a weakness. Looking
after Canadians needs first should be top of the list.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

I too am all in favor or a pipe running east. Pipelines running all directions to ensure market. However I question Mulcair's motive. Most of us in the west are suspicious of any move by easterners to gain access to resources for their own benifit. We remember the NEP quite well.

First of all I hope they stop the XL pipeline and the one destined to cross BC
known as Enbridge. No I am not some old hippy but I am an economic
nationalist who believe's we should first service our own markets for resources
and secondly we should sell any excess as finished product only no crude.
East West sounds good to me.
As a modern state in the twenty first century we should indeed have a National
Energy Policy. In the future it would be a strength not a weakness. Looking
after Canadians needs first should be top of the list.

Alberta alone can produce more ooil than eastern Canada can consume therefore NG is vital to national interests. All the western provinces produce oil and gas as well as coal. By your logiic we should close down Roberts Bank coal port and all the jobs that go with it so the east can have our coal.

WindWalker

Electoral Member
May 22, 2008
French Creek, BC
"We remember the NEP quite well."

As a former Albertan I will never forget it, that is a fact. Cost me my business, almost cost me my marriage and there is approximately 325,000 dollars owed to me that I'll never see again. Then it cost me 10 years of my life trying to dig my way out from under all that.

No, I will never forget the NEP nor the government that brought it into being. NEVER!