Man captures wife’s heartbreaking cancer battle with photo blog

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Man captures wife’s heartbreaking cancer battle with photo blog - The Globe and Mail

The Battle We Didn't Choose

The night Angelo Merendino and Jennifer Wise were married in Central Park, they danced their first dance as husband and wife as Merendino’s father crooned “I’m in the mood for love,” on his accordion. Five months later, Wise was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was 36.

A photographer originally from Ohio who moved to New York to be with Wise, Merendino documented every part of their lives struggling with the disease, at his wife’s urging.

The photos, which Merendino hopes will help others better understand what it is to live with cancer, are featured on his blog, The Battle We Didn’t Choose.

“My photographs show this daily life. They humanize the face of cancer, on the face of my wife. They show the challenge, difficulty, fear, sadness and loneliness that we faced, that Jennifer faced, as she battled this disease. Most important of all, they show our love. These photographs do not define us, but they are us,” Merendino explains on the site.

Wise passed away in December, 2011, just a few weeks after her 40th birthday.

In the blog, Merendino tells the heartbreaking story of falling in love with Wise, but no words can come close to capturing the reality seen in the photographs.

“Cancer is in the news daily, and maybe, through these photographs, the next time a cancer patient is asked how he or she is doing, along with listening, the answer will be met with more knowledge, empathy, deeper understanding, sincere caring and heartfelt concern,” Merendino writes on the blog.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Heartbreaking. And Beautiful!

My mother wsa diagnosed with that in the later 60's. She was about 42. It was horrendous the burns she endured from radiation - damaged her heart- and she had other internal problems.
Went thru another 4 major operations on the same day and we were told then she had a 10% chance of pulling thru. She spent 18 months at what we called the San in recovery- She missed one Christmas, the Drs. told her another year for recovery- She asked to go home for the 2nd upcoming Christmas and promised her Drs. she would come back. She came home and stayed.
I was posted to my hometown in 81, July, she passed in Oct.
She was a live and let live type of woman.
Miss her deeply. She passed in her 56th year. So young. To young.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My mother wsa diagnosed with that in the later 60's. She was about 42. It was horrendous the burns she endured from radiation - damaged her heart- and she had other internal problems.
Went thru another 4 major operations on the same day and we were told then she had a 10% chance of pulling thru. She spent 18 months at what we called the San in recovery- She missed one Christmas, the Drs. told her another year for recovery- She asked to go home for the 2nd upcoming Christmas and promised her Drs. she would come back. She came home and stayed.
I was posted to my hometown in 81, July, she passed in Oct.
She was a live and let live type of woman.
Miss her deeply. She passed in her 56th year. So young. To young.
So sorry to hear that Goob. That is so sad. A terrible disease with such suffering. Sounds like she had a strong fighting spirit that sustained her in spite of what medical people thought she would or could. The human spirit can not be measured.

She sounds like an amazing woman. You were blessed even though it was too short. It is always too short of a time spent with those that we love regardless of how long we are given.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So sorry to hear that Goob. That is so sad. A terrible disease with such suffering. Sounds like she had a strong fighting spirit that sustained her in spite of what medical people thought she would or could. The human spirit can not be measured.

She sounds like an amazing woman. You were blessed even though it was too short. It is always too short of a time spent with those that we love regardless of how long we are given.

Cancer is vicious- it is amazing how children diagnosed with this disease deal with it.We as adults could learn from that.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Cancer is vicious- it is amazing how children diagnosed with this disease deal with it.We as adults could learn from that.
Usually some child teaches me something wondrous almost every day.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They do have that amazing ability to make us remember, wonder and see life's beauty in a differing light.
One of the things that never ceases to wow me, is their level of trust. I have only been in this new location a few weeks so they don't know me, yet they come to me with their ouchies and peer at me with such trust. So I bandage and ice it and wipe the snotty noses and dry their tears, and man, they think you walk on water.

And later in the day they will make an excuse to come back for a new bandage and share their smile. They don't even know why they do it, yet they do...they astound me.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
One of the things that never ceases to wow me, is their level of trust. I have only been in this new location a few weeks so they don't know me, yet they come to me with their ouchies and peer at me with such trust. So I bandage and ice it and wipe the snotty noses and dry their tears, and man, they think you walk on water.

And later in the day they will make an excuse to come back for a new bandage and share their smile. They don't even know why they do it, yet they do...they astound me.

Children are attracted to those that show love, caring and understanding them. That is why they come back. Excuses and all. My you do have a great profession. Teacher????

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Children are attracted to those that show love, caring and understanding them. That is why they come back. Excuses and all. My you do have a great profession. Teacher????
nope...second career went back to my roots an Admin Asst. have only done it for a few years...but I love it...will be good to wind down to retirement