Just punishment

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Just part of an animal? What do they do with the other 90%?

Ahhhhh 10% of the entire populatrion of a species.

Same as any other smuggler.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Make him forfeit 10% of his income for the rest of his life. A precious scarce resource, maybe he'd get the picture then.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I would think 10 years for 10%. Not 10 years in jail but 10 years of forced volunteerism in protecting endangered species....might as well let the punishment suit the crime.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I am furious looking at those turtles... what a moron. I think a just punishment would be if he were never allowed to travel there again and I like Nick's idea of having to do sensitivity work on endangered species. I really like that. 10% and there are only 400, the guy is an imbecile.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I am furious looking at those turtles... what a moron. I think a just punishment would be if he were never allowed to travel there again and I like Nick's idea of having to do sensitivity work on endangered species. I really like that. 10% and there are only 400, the guy is an imbecile.
My you are being polite calling him an imbecile. I would have a few other choice names.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hmmm, they're critically endangered, and their numbers are dwindling fast in the wild, the authorities believe they were going to be pets.

Pets, including domesticated wild ones, have a habit of living longer if properly taken care of. They certainly don't face the same dangers as they would in the wild.

Is the outrage really justified here?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Hmmm, they're critically endangered, and their numbers are dwindling fast in the wild, the authorities believe they were going to be pets.

Pets, including domesticated wild ones, have a habit of living longer if properly taken care of. They certainly don't face the same dangers as they would in the wild.

lol...

Some points to consider from that vantage would be:

• who appointed him steward for the world is he an expert
  • were they being transported properly
  • what was HIS motive
  • would the money be funneled back into their preservation
  • would the turtles be properly cared for
  • how would they propegate

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Very valid point, about the lifespans. But, and I don't know this for certain in this case, there's a part of me that believes that people that want endangered species as pets are, in the end, the same type that want the ivory off the elephants. People want a thing because it's rare, and in some twisted way they think that makes them somehow 'special' because they have a rare, special thing. That strikes me as inherently wrong in it's selfishness.

In an ideal world, I'd rather see a true and proper sanctuary set up for endangered creatures like these. It's not the harshness of the wild and it's better than captivity. In my humble opinion.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
lol...

Some points to consider from that vantage would be:

• who appointed him steward for the world is he an expert
  • were they being transported properly
  • what was HIS motive
  • would the money be funneled back into their preservation
  • would the turtles be properly cared for
  • how would they propegate

I have to wonder if Anne Frank had to meet some form of requirement when protecting people.

Very valid point, about the lifespans. But, and I don't know this for certain in this case, there's a part of me that believes that people that want endangered species as pets are, in the end, the same type that want the ivory off the elephants. People want a thing because it's rare, and in some twisted way they think that makes them somehow 'special' because they have a rare, special thing. That strikes me as inherently wrong in it's selfishness.
Me too, but in the end they want it bad enough, like a lot of things, people willing to pay that much for something rare, will cherish it and look after it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have to wonder if Anne Frank had to meet some form of requirement when protecting people.

Me too, but in the end they want it bad enough, like a lot of things, people willing to pay that much for something rare, will cherish it and look after it.
She didn't protect anyone, they protected her. She was not an endangered species only a little girl targeted because she was a Jew.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
She didn't protect anyone, they protected her. She was not an endangered species only a little girl targeted because she was a Jew.
Did you really miss the point?

I meant Anne Bochove, btw. My bad.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Did you really miss the point?
Maybe ??? lol probably ♦

I don't believe they are comparable, because he was not smuggling the turtles in order to protect them but to profit from them.

What was the point I missed?

Ah she Anne Bochove was a hider... good stuff.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't believe they are comparable, because he was not smuggling the turtles in order to protect them but to profit from them.
So?

What was the point I missed?
That people seem to put more emotion into animals than humans.

If someone smuggles, hides or otherwise saves a person from almost certain death, do we get all righteous about their motives, the conditions?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So?

That people seem to put more emotion into animals than humans.
It's a big planet with a lot of need. We are all different and thus called to steward the planet in different ways.

Our job is to learn our gifts and thus our call. I am not good at helping animals. I can not separate my emotion from the rational. I melt down and can not function well to best advocate for them.

I am better at helping people from an emotional standpoint. When I seek and allow the correct energy flow, I am always placed in situations where I can do the most good for my gifts and for that person's need. I will always get back from the situation the amount I give out. It is the ebb and flow of the universe.

Others are called to help animals. It is no less important.

If someone smuggles, hides or otherwise saves a person from almost certain death, do we get all righteous about their motives, the conditions?
I would get all righteous about it if someone were stealing children from another country in order to sell them here for their personal profit even knowing the children would be better off here. So yes.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We are all different and thus called to steward the planet in different ways.
Schindler made an excellent profit off saving Jews.

I guess that's how he was called.

Does it matter that he was essentially using them as slave labour while he did it?