Vancouver's Finest

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Pigs will be pigs.

WATCH! Vancouver Canada Police Officer Punch Man in Face - YouTube

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Vancouver’s police union says officers can’t take a chance when someone resists arrests. This is in response to a YouTube video of a man being punched in the face during an arrest in Downtown Vancouver on Tuesday night.

The officer who threw the punch has been pulled from duty.

Tom Stamatakis with the Vancouver Police Union says there’s more to the story than what the video shows.

In the footage, an officer is seen punching cyclist Andi Shae Akhavana as he tries to put handcuffs on him. According to Akhavan, the officers were originally going to write him a ticket for running a red light. The incident happened at Beatty and Robson.
Akhavan is filing a complaint against the VPD, claiming excessive force was used.

“With both my arms behind me and from behind, he basically clocks me in the mouth, at which point I basically felt my tooth go through my lip, and I could feel the blood right away. I was like ‘I need stitches.’ They sat me down and the video basically shows the rest of what happened,” describes Akhavan.

Stamatakis says officers are trained in what to do when someone resists arrest. “You can hear the officers giving the individual direction not to resist — to comply. They’re in the process of handcuffing him. You can see in the video, he pulls away.”

“What I saw was two police officers responding to something that they saw… trying to gain control of a person who was resisting their efforts,” he tells us.

“These officers would have no idea who this individual is, what his background is. They need to get him under control. That’s their training. It doesn’t always look great on video, but that’s the training,” explains Stamatakis.

“Unfortunately, in this city and across the province and the country, there have been many officers who have been seriously injured by people who are actively resisting arrest or trying to get away,” he adds, noting officers must take control of potentially dangerous situations.

Akhavan says he is a non-violent man who didn’t deserve to be punched; he is trying to find a lawyer in order to make a formal complaint.

The VPD says the incident was reported by the officer to his supervisor. It has been reported to the Professional Standards Section of the Vancouver Police Department, who will notify the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner.

The officer is on a weekly leave.

WindWalker

Electoral Member
May 22, 2008
French Creek, BC
I don't know who's wrong and who's right in this case.

I do know that my career as a cop would likely be very short. I wouldn't put up with half the crap these guys have to deal with on a daily basis.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I don't know who's wrong and who's right in this case.

I do know that my career as a cop would likely be very short. I wouldn't put up with half the crap these guys have to deal with on a daily basis.

But if you are a cop you can't just go belting people because they make you agitated. If they don't like putting up with crap they should find another line of work.

Was that a British accent he had?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'd like to see the portion of the video at the beginning that was edited out.......You only see what a biased video taker wants you to see....The perp could have been resisting arrest for five minutes before........

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I'd like to see the portion of the video at the beginning that was edited out.......You only see what a biased video taker wants you to see....The perp could have been resisting arrest for five minutes before........

That is true. I am sure the guy was a jerk which was why he was getting arrested and not simply getting his ticket. I just don't agree with police punching because they are aggravated.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That is true. I am sure the guy was a jerk which was why he was getting arrested and not simply getting his ticket. I just don't agree with police punching because they are aggravated.
Should the police wait until the guy possibly grabs a knife with his free had and get himself stabbed before reacting?
Saw this happen outside a bar here some years ago, and it's a good thing that while being strong, the perp was too drunk and slow to do cause harm to the officer and a Maglite hit on the wrist disarmed him.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Should the police wait until the guy possibly grabs a knife with his free had and get himself stabbed before reacting?
Saw this happen outside a bar here some years ago, and it's a good thing that while being strong, the perp was too drunk and slow to do cause harm to the officer and a Maglite hit on the wrist disarmed him.

He gave the Officer a small tap in the chest with his elbow. 7 second mark. Does it rate a face punch I would say no But....
As you mentioned how long was this going on- what was edited.
What happened before that? Was he belligerent, resisting, who knows.
What would people say if the Officer(s) to gain control of the situation put him face down on the pavement.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Hey I do get what you are saying. I do. There is danger in what they do. In this case I just don't see how a belt in the chin was warranted. In the US before the cuffs go on the guy is supposed to be searched for weapons. Perhaps it is the same there? I just think the cop was agitated by the guy.

But I hear what you're saying.

What would people say if the Officer(s) to gain control of the situation put him face down on the pavement.

That happens a lot too and I bet if they did that there wouldn't be an issue. And I know I must sound like I am contradicting myself because a face plant probably hurts much more.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Itty bitty female cops would have used a thumb hold and dropped him to his knees.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Not all cops are pigs the same as not all people are tall, or short or anything else.
The police have to work within the law however and there is no excuse for excessive
force.
Vancouver traffic is different, they have made the city so bike friendly it hampers other
traffic so I can understand nailing someone for running a light. I think the individual
actions of an officer should not reflect on the entire force.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
To say he was the only guy treated that way that day by VPD and this is a rare incident is a pure insane belief.

Cops treat people like sh*t because we let them.

Grab him by the balls, he will be compliant.
Sexual assault? Yeah, that's a great idea.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
To say he was the only guy treated that way that day by VPD and this is a rare incident is a pure insane belief.

Cops treat people like sh*t because we let them.

Sexual assault? Yeah, that's a great idea.

Cannot judge on this one as the video is not complete. People jump to hasty conclusions based upon video -
Now does the VPD have problems. Yes.
Is this an example- Cannot tell one way or the other.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are several who do not behave within the confines of the law there are many who do.
I don't think the entire force should be judged by the actions of some. In addition the ones
who do go outside the law should be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law.
I also agree there are incidents almost every day, but the fact is the Vancouver police are
not as bad as RCMP that also have heavy involvement in BC

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Cannot judge on this one as the video is not complete. People jump to hasty conclusions based upon video -
Now does the VPD have problems. Yes.
Is this an example- Cannot tell one way or the other.

It doesn't matter what happened before. It was excessive.

There are several who do not behave within the confines of the law there are many who do.
I don't think the entire force should be judged by the actions of some.
Who else is supposed to keep cops in line but not the force?

They'll keep each other's back to the point of sacrificing their lives but can't work together to keep the sh*t out of the ranks?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This is a good book and I highly recommend it...

It's what happened when an a-hole cop... a bad kid... and a bad "good" samaritan met on a country road in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
He pretty clearly yanks his arm out of the cop's grasp right before he gets popped. His argument that he wasn't resisting arrest is pretty weak.