North Korea - Will China eventually stage a coup?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Oh I'm sure they're just misunderstood.

And I'm willing to bet someone will be along to tell us just that.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Both China and the United States are quite happy to have North Korea behave badly
The optics are perfect, China puts a little pressure on them to behave and America
gets to put more pressure on them from the other side. Both the big powers look like
they are taking action while both the big guy laugh up their sleeve. Eventually NK will
go too far and something will have to be done. Its all part of the diplomatic dance

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Considering NK just ended all ties/communication with SK over the UN sanctions and has said it's got a right to use pre-emptive nukes against it's "aggressors" it could be the next trouble area that the world will be going ape **** over.

BBC News - North Korea says it ends peace pacts with South

China keeps the economy afloat- The do not want civil unrest and million of refugees crossing the border into China. Recall when the Wall fell in Eastern Europe. Scares the Bejesus out of the Chinese. They also do not want a unification as that would place the US right on their borders.
As to NK nukes. Lots of time yet.

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope they do. Instead of having a crazy tyrant they'd have a pragmatic one. Either that or cut them off. I imagine North Korea is more a nuisance to China than an actual ally.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I hope they do. Instead of having a crazy tyrant they'd have a pragmatic one. Either that or cut them off. I imagine North Korea is more a nuisance to China than an actual ally.

I don't think North Korea is either a nuisance or an ally, I think they are more of an Ace or Wild card. As China's export power grows so does it's interdependence on those nations to whom it exports, predominantly the west. By keeping North Korea in their pocket, whether that's a true reality or merely the perception of the west, that keeps the balance of power on their side of things. As long as they have some kind of tether on the wild card, China will be asked but will not be told.

At least, that's my take on it. It's all an international political power play.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Silly, silly blind as polar bear, TV educated kids..not one of you know that Pyongyang is Moscow's darling?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Honestly. I do not know why we even deal with them.

However, I was listening to NPR and the more nations ignore NK the crazier they get, one "expert" said.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Tantrums are like that.... Why can't L'il Kimmy just hold his breath?....

I just don't know. Again on NPR they said NK really acts out when SK is recognized for something.

They are amazing actually. In a middle of a famine when they need the world's help...

"You BETTER feed us or we are going to F*** you up!"

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
China is officially South Korea's ally, yet it seems to be taking sides with South korea more and more.

With friends like that eh... Just kidding, it's not like North Korea has treated its ally pretty well either, so I guess China is saying that if its ally is going to give China so many headaches, who needs that ally. Besides, the only thing China gets out of such an alliance is prevention orf a war that leads to a refugee crisis on its border.

There were suspicions in China a while back that its 'ally' was counterfeiting Chinese currency.