Inquiry into missing First Nations women right thing for Tories both politically and

Hold an Inquiry is the question.

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Inquiry into missing First Nations women right thing for Tories both politically and morally | Full Comment | National Post

Hold an Inquiry is the question.

Laurie Odjick managed to hold it together during a press conference on the subject of murdered and missing aboriginal women, but only just.

She was talking about her own experience as the mother of Maisy, who was last seen on Sept. 6, 2008, aged 16.

“Stephen Harper said these cases are being dealt with but he hasn’t met us or sat down with the families. Shame on him … he has no idea what we are going through. I invite him to invite us to sit down and we will talk,” she said.

If I were Mr. Harper, I’d take Ms. Odjick up on her offer. This issue, if handled adroitly, has the potential to repair some of the damage between the Conservative government and Canada’s First Nations, who can’t agree on much, but are united behind demands for a public inquiry into the number of aboriginal women who have been murdered or simply gone missing in recent years.

Conversely, if handled clumsily, it will further alienate the fastest growing segment of the population — a demographic whose buy-in the government needs, if it is going to address skills shortages and resource development.

The driving imperative for action though, is that something is rotten in the state — we have a situation that simply would not be tolerated were it white suburban teenagers who were disappearing, rather than Maisy Odjick and her friend Shannon Alexander from an Algonquin community in Maniwaki, Que.

NDP MP Niki Ashton, who called for an inquiry at the press conference, said aboriginal women are five to seven times more likely to die from violence than the national average.

Bridget Tolley of the Sisters in Spirit group put the number of murdered or missing women at over 1,000, a far higher rate than the estimate of 600 that has been used in the media.

In Question Period, Liberal MP Ralph Goodale said 84% of murders in Canada are solved, but the clearance rate drops to 50% for native women.

The Liberals put forward a motion for a House of Commons committee to take a closer look at the issue — something all parties in the House, including the Conservatives, support.

The government says it has taken the apparent rash of tragic cases seriously, pointing out it has strengthened sentencing for all violent offenders and earmarked $18-million to address gender-based violence.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Christi Clark may have put a price on the environment in BC but there is no price
tag for justice and justice can't be limited either. Either there is justice and knowing
or there is no justice.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You know, I feel really torn and frustrated about this. Not because I don't think something needs to drastically change in how we treat all at risk women in this country, we absolutely need to clean up our act in that regard. Government, law enforcement, the media and even the general public needs to pay a hell of lot more attention to what's going on. But I'm frustrated because we, as a society, do a piss poor job of it, then we hold an inquiry. A group that goes away, usually out of the media spotlight, forgotten by the general population and when they come back, you're lucky if you get some half-mumbled semi-coherent statement about what went wrong. And the worst part of it all? Nothing ever really changes.

So should we run an investigation into where, what, why and how it all goes wrong? I honestly don't know. We need to do a better job of protecting these women and girls, but we also need to do a better job at actually finding and implementing solutions too.

grissyboy

Nov 22, 2013
You know, I feel really torn and frustrated about this. Not because I don't think something needs to drastically change in how we treat all at risk women in this country, we absolutely need to clean up our act in that regard. Government, law enforcement, the media and even the general public needs to pay a hell of lot more attention to what's going on. But I'm frustrated because we, as a society, do a piss poor job of it, then we hold an inquiry. A group that goes away, usually out of the media spotlight, forgotten by the general population and when they come back, you're lucky if you get some half-mumbled semi-coherent statement about what went wrong. And the worst part of it all? Nothing ever really changes.

So should we run an investigation into where, what, why and how it all goes wrong? I honestly don't know. We need to do a better job of protecting these women and girls, but we also need to do a better job at actually finding and implementing solutions too.
What is the point of an inquiry? Very, very expensive and a total Waste of money. Let's pay those people on the commission a bloody fortune for a useless report. There have been 40 reports on this already. How many non aboriginal women are missing. Is anyone screaming for an inquiry. Nope, don't hear anyone. If there is an inquiry into missing aboriginal women then all things being equal there has to be inquiries into missing non aboriginals. Fair is fair.