Ex-RCMP commander pleads guilty

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
A former RCMP commanding officer has pleaded guilty to a single count of breach of trust over accusations he stole cocaine from an evidence locker for his own use.
Staff Sgt. Stuart Seib headed up the Merritt detachment of the RCMP when the thefts came to light last year. He had previously been commander in charge in Clearwater.
Seib had a guilty plea entered on his behalf to a single count of breach of trust Tuesday. Ex-RCMP commander pleads guilty to breach of trust in cocaine theft case | CTV British Columbia News

I wonder how much he did steal from evidence lockers in his 18 year career. how many court cases were jeopardized because evidence was tampered with or innocent people sent to jail.

What's more frightening is that he was rising through the ranks of the RCMP as he was doing it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
He was accused of stealing cocaine on more than one occasion for his own use. He was arrested and charged with one count of theft under $5,000 after he allegedly told a fellow officer about what he had done.
Now why would he tell a fellow officer? Could it be that it is such an acceptable thing to do by others on the force that he slipped up and found the except to the rule?

It's believed theft charges will be stayed. Seib has resigned from the RCMP so there will be no internal investigation. He was an 18-year veteran of the force.
No internal investigation? hm, I think they need one.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/ex-rcmp-comman...in-cocaine-theft-case-1.1153760#ixzz2Kj2o4hOy

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Now why would he tell a fellow officer? Could it be that it is such an acceptable thing to do by others on the force that he slipped up and found the except to the rule?

No internal investigation? hm, I think they need one.

I have ideas about this whole thing. Staff Sergeant- 18 years seniority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At the detachment where he was charged only a few months, previous to that spent most of his career at Clearwater (small remote detachment)- 80 miles north of Kamloops.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have ideas about this whole thing. Staff Sergeant- 18 years seniority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At the detachment where he was charged only a few months, previous to that spent most of his career at Clearwater (small remote detachment)- 80 miles north of Kamloops.
So what do you think is going on here JLM?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
8O If convicted and sent to prison, he could have a bit of a rough time. Hopefully.
I don't think he is going anywhere, he has resigned...I think this is all just going to melt away now... *sniff* pun intended

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So what do you think is going on here JLM?

Well, I'm hesitant to be so presumptuous as to think I know what's going on, but perhaps I can provide pieces of the picture. Previous detachment in a fairly isolated town in an area population about 6 thousand. Much of the activity is centred around logging, ranching, farming, trapping, guiding, etc. Probably very little "sophisticated" crime (not many unibombers) mostly stuff like theft, B&Es, traffic infractions and confiscating marijuana. Members of detachment could be like close knit family, so maybe not too much competition to become Staff Sergeant, so rather than saying I know what's going on I'd say there's things I'd keep eye open for. Also it could be a town with a few "bright lights" that have influence on the local constabulary, much like a lot of places.