Chicago lottery winner killed by cyanide poisoning day after collecting winnings

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Chicago lottery winner Urooj Khan killed by cyanide poisoning | World | News | National Post
One reason for not catching this is that the number of autopsies have decreased significantly in the past few decades.

CHICAGO — With no signs of trauma and nothing to raise suspicions, the sudden death of a Chicago man just as he was about to collect nearly $425,000 in lottery winnings was initially ruled a result of natural causes.

Nearly six months later, authorities have a mystery on their hands after medical examiners, responding to a relative’s pleas, did an expanded screening and determined that Urooj Khan, 46, died shortly after ingesting a lethal dose of cyanide. The finding has triggered a homicide investigation, the Chicago Police Department said Monday.

“It’s pretty unusual,” said Cook County Medical Examiner Stephen Cina, commenting on the rarity of cyanide poisonings. “I’ve had one, maybe two cases out of 4,500 autopsies I’ve done.”

In June, Khan, who owned a number of dry cleaners, stopped in at a 7-Eleven near his home in the West Rogers Park neighbourhood on the city’s North Side and bought a ticket for an instant lottery game.

He scratched off the ticket, then jumped up and down and repeatedly shouted, “I hit a million,” Khan recalled days later during a ceremony in which Illinois Lottery officials presented him with an oversized check. He said he was so overjoyed he ran back into the store and tipped the clerk $100.

“Winning the lottery means everything to me,” he said at the June 26 ceremony, also attended by his wife, Shabana Ansari; their daughter, Jasmeen Khan; and several friends. He said he would put some of his winnings into his businesses and donate some to a children’s hospital.

A relative came forward days after the initial cause of death was released and asked authorities to look into the case further, Cina said. He refused to identify the relative.

“She (the morgue worker) then reopened the case and did more expansive toxicology, including all the major drugs of use, all the common prescription drugs and also included I believe strychnine and cyanide in there just in case something came up,” Cina said. “And in fact cyanide came up in this case.”

The full results came back in November. Chicago Police Department spokeswoman Melissa Stratton confirmed the department was now investigating the death and said detectives were working closely with the Medical Examiner’s Office.

Investigators will likely exhume the body, Cina said.

Calls to Khan’s family went unanswered Monday.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Let that be a warning to you...NEVER be worth more dead than alive!8O

People get greedy!

Here is a guy, family man, businesses, going to put money into the business and to the hospital.
Not a believer in the death penalty but they could drop the murderer in a deep hole (jail cell) and feed them the bare minimum - I can live with that.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Here is a guy, family man, businesses, going to put money into the business and to the hospital.
Not a believer in the death penalty but they could drop the murderer in a deep hole (jail cell) and feed them the bare minimum - I can live with that.

Odds are it's a family thing. Could potentially be someone who was resentful of him getting ahead like that but given that it was a family member that alerted the coroner to the possibility of foul play, I'm thinking Sal is right, it's probably the wife.

I don't know how people can be that cold. Not that I would ever do it, but it's one thing to take the life of someone who means nothing to you, but to take the life of someone you've shared life with? Even if it goes south, there is history there.

Well, it'll play out the way it plays out I guess.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think somewhere there is a family member that should get rid of the store
receipt for the poison they bought.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
How much do you want? Used in goldsmithing as well as other uses in metal work.
OK now I remember my last encounter with the stuff.

Someone I know was given a bunch of old junk from a deceased watchmaker we went through it all here @ my place and in the boxes was a vial of cyanide.

I called Poison Control and the woman who answered said 'Just flush it down the toilet' and so I hung up and considered the wisdom of what she said.

Then the phone rang and it was her 'I'll come right over & get it now' she arrived wearing thick gloves grabbed the vial and that was that.

As to someone murdering a family member this whole tragedy brings to mind the murders of those women in Kingston-the backgrounds of some people are so different from mainstream Canadians as to be unfathomable.