Man dies of injuries after savage beating on Edmonton train

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
EDMONTON — An Edmonton man savagely beaten in broad daylight in a train car has died from his injuries.

Police say 29-year-old John Hollar died in hospital late Sunday night after being attacked Friday afternoon on the city’s rapid transit line.

It was a fight that forced transit officials to make a gut-wrenching decision when the train pulled into the first station and the other passengers fled while the beating continued.

Transit officials were forced to decide whether to keep the doors open and hope the fight ended on its own or close the doors for three minutes to get the train to the next station, where security and first aid were available.

They closed the doors, and when the train arrived at the next station, the alleged attacker was arrested but Hollar was found unconscious with severe, and ultimately fatal, head injuries.

Jeremy Newborn, 29, faces a charge of second-degree murder.

John Hollar dies of injuries after savage beating on Edmonton train | Canada | News | National Post

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It says that passengers tried to intervene.

It's easy to sit back from the comfort of our computer screens and say how it should have gone. it's another when dealing with someone so unhinged that they beat someone to death with their bare hands.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It says that passengers tried to intervene.

It's easy to sit back from the comfort of our computer screens and say how it should have gone. it's another when dealing with someone so unhinged that they beat someone to death with their bare hands.

I was reading a different article - That said many do not assist or intervene.

John Hollar dies of injuries after savage beating on Edmonton train | Canada | News | National Post

“Sometimes we have to make these decisions. That’s the nature of our reality.”

Gabruck said the broad-daylight attack by one man on passenger John Hollar in front of about 15 fellow transit riders had already begun when the train pulled into the north-end Belvedere station last Friday afternoon.

At the station, the doors opened and the other passengers fled, but the attack raged on.

“Most people when they’re involved in a crime will commit the crime and then flee. This person had that opportunity. He chose to stay on the train,” said Gabruck.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That same article says that two passengers tried to intervene.

Intervene is still not clear- Could be verbal to what we do not know - I stand by what I posted about the studies and human nature. These incidents have been studied time and again. Recall the Nurse who was murdered in the early 60's in New York.
Do we have all the details - No- was I slamming the passengers - No-
We all act differently under stress.

Murder of Kitty Genovese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I wasn't replying just to you Goober. The Kitty Genovese case is a classic instance of bystander syndrome. It happens. But, sometimes it's not 'bystander syndrome' that stops people from intervening, sometimes it's the level of risk.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I wasn't replying just to you Goober. The Kitty Genovese case is a classic instance of bystander syndrome. It happens. But, sometimes it's not 'bystander syndrome' that stops people from intervening, sometimes it's the level of risk.

I realize that. We all have the self preservation instinct. And why we have some that are heroes by doing what we would or could not. Whether we panicked, froze or deemed the risks unacceptable.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
With the amount of people supposidly on that train, surely this "animal" could have been "swarmed" and held until help arrived. I may not be the strongest person, but I would have had no problem sitting on someone's head or chest or whatever... I simply don't understand what happened. 15 people and they couldn't have done anything? Doesn't make sense to me. Mind you, having said that, I just recalled that, a while ago, it took 5 or 6 cops to handle a guy who was on something - he was absolutely out of control. So, maybe this guy was as well???? Still, 15 people???? Wonder if we'll ever really find out what transpired and why that didn't happen.

JMHO

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
With the amount of people supposidly on that train, surely this "animal" could have been "swarmed" and held until help arrived. I may not be the strongest person, but I would have had no problem sitting on someone's head or chest or whatever... I simply don't understand what happened. 15 people and they couldn't have done anything? Doesn't make sense to me. Mind you, having said that, I just recalled that, a while ago, it took 5 or 6 cops to handle a guy who was on something - he was absolutely out of control. So, maybe this guy was as well???? Still, 15 people???? Wonder if we'll ever really find out what transpired and why that didn't happen.

JMHO

Most people don't want to "get involved".

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
At one time I would have jumped right in. Help or not. Now I am not so sure. With age come slower reactions and lack of mobility. Now I would at least like a chunk of 2X4 on my side.