Tens of thousands sign U.S. petition to deport Piers Morgan over gun control views

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Tens of thousands sign U.S. petition to deport British CNN host Piers Morgan over gun control views

LONDON - Tens of thousands of people have signed a petition calling for British CNN host Piers Morgan to be deported from the U.S. over his gun control views.

Morgan has taken an aggressive stand for tighter U.S. gun laws in the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut, school shooting. Last week, he called a gun advocate appearing on his "Piers Morgan Tonight" show an "unbelievably stupid man."

Now, gun rights activists are fighting back. A petition created Dec. 21 on the White House e-petition website by a user in Texas accuses Morgan of engaging in a "hostile attack against the U.S. Constitution" by targeting the Second Amendment. It demands he be deported immediately for "exploiting his position as a national network television host to stage attacks against the rights of American citizens."

The petition has already hit the 25,000 signature threshold to get a White House response. By Monday, it had 31,813 signatures.

Morgan seemed unfazed — and even amused — by the movement.

In a series of Twitter messages, he alternately urged his followers to sign the petition and in response to one article about the petition said "bring it on" as he appeared to track the petition's progress.

"If I do get deported from America for wanting fewer gun murders, are there any other countries that will have me?" he wrote.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I can't stand it.

Piers Moron has not read the Second Amendment.

These idiots have not read the First Amendment.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Typical American response, we will gather at the river and claim we are the
best in world and free, then after the latest round of Baptisms we will set out
to sign a petition to deny someone the right to free speech, I don't always
like Morgan but I do now, anyone who will poke the NRA in the eye is a good
person.
Morgan is not the problem here, the NRA using ignorance and insensitivity have
harmed their own cause. Their response to the latest tragedy has defined the
moment and the people sitting on the fence for years are siding against them.
If the NRA is not careful the people will demand the regulations go much further
than need be. Already people are calling for a ban on guns in homes, for
example. Not that it will work you need people to agree with the laws made
collectively on a societies behalf. Having said that remember all those urban
voters that now make up the majority of Americans? They are about to say
otherwise. They will side Morgan and the conservative rural folk will soon be
labelled bigots and all kinds of things and child haters. No I am not saying its
true its part of polarized rhetoric. The real reason this will happen is because
they couldn't keep their mouth shut

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Not only that but the network has all those urban folks who support Morgan
on their cable networks and it drives the agenda it puts the gun lobby in the
cross hairs for further assaults on the industry. The NRA does not yet realize
the tables have turned and as powerful as they have been they are now on
the defencive because mothers are mad as hell and they feel the children
are threatened. It is like the MADD campaigns against drunk driving all the
organization was waiting for was public anger to build. Some say the logic
isn't there to ban all weapons, this is not about logic its about anger and fear
and who can drive a media agenda for the hearts and minds of the public.
The NRA shot its credibility with insensitive statements last Saturday and now
the public relations war is turning against them. Besides the NRA has always
had a large segment of the media who regards them as arrogant and snobby
now they smell blood and that is not good. When you are on the receiving end
and the media smells blood you are in for a rough ride. Always been that way
always will be. I too remember years ago being a news guy and smelling blood
there was more to this story than the people let on so lets all dig hard see what is
there

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Typical American response, we will gather at the river and claim we are the
best in world and free, then after the latest round of Baptisms we will set out
to sign a petition to deny someone the right to free speech, I don't always
like Morgan but I do now, anyone who will poke the NRA in the eye is a good
person.
Morgan is not the problem here, the NRA using ignorance and insensitivity have
harmed their own cause. Their response to the latest tragedy has defined the
moment and the people sitting on the fence for years are siding against them.
If the NRA is not careful the people will demand the regulations go much further
than need be. Already people are calling for a ban on guns in homes, for
example. Not that it will work you need people to agree with the laws made
collectively on a societies behalf. Having said that remember all those urban
voters that now make up the majority of Americans? They are about to say
otherwise. They will side Morgan and the conservative rural folk will soon be
labelled bigots and all kinds of things and child haters. No I am not saying its
true its part of polarized rhetoric. The real reason this will happen is because
they couldn't keep their mouth shut
Typical Left response and rhetoric:roll:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why are opinions either left or right DaS?

The reason I call some people "Sports Fans" is because only a sports fan blindly cheers for a team just because it's a team they support win or lose. or when the referees make a correct call, it's their (the ref's) fault the team was penalized and not the mistake the team made.

It doesn't look good on you. You're far to smart of a guy to fall into that trap.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Why are opinions either left or right DaS?

The reason I call some people "Sports Fans" is because only a sports fan blindly cheers for a team just because it's a team they support win or lose. or when the referees make a correct call, it's their (the ref's) fault the team was penalized and not the mistake the team made.

It doesn't look good on you. You're far to smart of a guy to fall into that trap.
I just like to point out the hypocrisy of those who pretend to be neutral yet most of their posts are one side or the other...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Pretend? People who judge issues individually are faking it and hiding a political bias?

Good policies deserves support, bad policies deserve to criticized regardless of the putzes who put them forth.

We have the same opinions on gun control. Does that make a me a Right winger? We don't agree on Unions does that make a Leftie?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Of course the team is going to be penalized that is how it works when the left is
on defence hammer them when the right is on defence hammer them we just
haven't figured out yet that we are all going to be hammer fifty percent of the
time until we deal with the real issue.
The NRA did a poor public relations job here, and in response they are going to
pay the price period Having people sign a petition to get rid of someone for using
free speech in a democracy is just plain nuts. Counter the argument but to shut
someone down for speaking their view is not the American way and never has
been. What this does is demonstrate the NRA and its supporters are against the
very democracy the advocate. You can't be against free speech and pro gun and
still belong to an open society. The other also applies as they are part of the
countries constitution.
Therefore the solution is to find a way to resolve the outstanding issues in an adult
fashion. Banning all guns or Silencing someone for free speech is not going to solve
anything. The NRA must understand there will be a constitutional amendment coming
because people in the majority are going to demand it. The NRA should be pro active
and finding the least harm that could be done. Instead they will plow ahead with silly
statements and then whine when the laws are too restrictive. Reactive leads to
more legislation, proactive leads to being a part of a discussion doing nothing will
lead to a disaster. What I said above is true left or right the action the organization
took or those involved will only further damage their credibility in the war of words.
The NRA is on the wrong side of history if it doesn't address the concessions they are
prepared to make. Making none will lead to negative legislation what is that saying?
they put themselves between a rock and a hard place.
|As for being neutral I am sometimes because I can see both sides of the argument
there are other times I take a stand sometimes it right wing sometimes its to the left
depending on the issue.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I can't stand it.

Piers Moron has not read the Second Amendment.

These idiots have not read the First Amendment.
I knew you would be all over this like white on rice. Too bad you don't understand the reason behind the Second Amendment.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
The problem with freedom of speech is that you actually have to have that freedom for it to work. I agree that Piers Morgan should have the right to say what he wants to as long as the other side has just as equal a right. We have seen the the right to free speech eroded here as well as in the US by folks who claim no freedoms are absolute and cite yelling "fire" in a crowded theater as a reasonable limit to free speech. However doing so is not an act of free speech but an incitement of an action, (because any reasonable person can predict the outcome), not much different as marshalling a truck driver to back up over a child on a tricycle being freedom of expression.

Freedom of speech has been limited to the extent of what the orthodoxy will bear to hear, and we see those limits here in the form of human rights complaints, and Draconian judgements against the "perpetrators". The backlash against Piers Morgan is just the other side fighting back with the same ammo, so to speak. The US doesn't have the same limits to free speech as we do, but they still have limits. Both countries have laws against slander, libel and defamation, but those place no limits on expressing opinions. Until there is freedom of expression and speech, liberty will continue to suffer.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Tens of thousands sign U.S. petition to deport British CNN host Piers Morgan over gun control views

LONDON - Tens of thousands of people have signed a petition calling for British CNN host Piers Morgan to be deported from the U.S. over his gun control views.

Morgan has taken an aggressive stand for tighter U.S. gun laws in the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut, school shooting. Last week, he called a gun advocate appearing on his "Piers Morgan Tonight" show an "unbelievably stupid man."

Now, gun rights activists are fighting back. A petition created Dec. 21 on the White House e-petition website by a user in Texas accuses Morgan of engaging in a "hostile attack against the U.S. Constitution" by targeting the Second Amendment. It demands he be deported immediately for "exploiting his position as a national network television host to stage attacks against the rights of American citizens."

The petition has already hit the 25,000 signature threshold to get a White House response. By Monday, it had 31,813 signatures.

Morgan seemed unfazed — and even amused — by the movement.

In a series of Twitter messages, he alternately urged his followers to sign the petition and in response to one article about the petition said "bring it on" as he appeared to track the petition's progress.

"If I do get deported from America for wanting fewer gun murders, are there any other countries that will have me?" he wrote.

I'd let him stay. He's merely comical and is no threat. Banning him makes the people that want him banned no different than he is. Frackin funny!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
troouble is he is not speaking the truth. He is spinning it for his own gain.
Whats the difference in how he "spins the truth" vs how NRA mouthpieces do? He is voicing an opinion, one shared by many Americans. According to that same US Constitution that he is supposedly attacking, he has the right to voice his opinions, as well as those who oppose his views.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
This just in:

Tens of thousands of idiots sign U.S. petition to deport British CNN host Piers Morgan over gun control views after they forgot about that other little ammendment in the constitution is called: FREE F_CKING SPEECH!

THE FIRST AMENDMENT

The irony lies in the fact that I had to censor the word ****ing

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
One of the consequences of this story garnering so much attention, is that Piers is now gaining an even wider audience. It kind of riles me that I find myself defending him.........as I am sure it does many other people. I really don't care for the man, haven't since I watched him on AGT, however he has as much right to his opinion as anyone.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is a bit of a difference here, Morgan is not American and people are listening with
a different ear as it were for that reason many will listen and they might well take up his
cause. The truth is the NRA is scared of him and so are many in the gun club