India - Protests erupt in wake of violent rape on bus.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"Sunday marked the seventh day of protests in India after medical student was raped Dec. 16 on a moving bus by several men, the latest in a series of violent crimes against women in northern India. The victim of the gang rape suffered severe intestinal injuries after being attacked with an iron rod during the assault and was battling for her life, doctors said last week."

Protests Over Rape Turn Violent in Delhi - NYTimes.com

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Unfortunately this is another country that has little regard for women but things may
change. Pakistan was another fine example of attacks on women but like anywhere
else there comes a defining moment.
In Chicago it was the St Valentines Day Massacre
In Pakistan earlier this year it was the little girl on the school bus that the thugs of the
Taliban chose to attack. She has become a symbol in that country and people look
like they may have had enough.
India could be the next country to start down the road to civilization after centuries of
discrimination against women and the brutal practice of the Cast System.
This is a message for this country too we have to ensure that those who come to live
amongst us share our values and those who don't should not be allowed in. I have
several friends from India and they are appalled when things like this happen as there
are in any country.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Petros you are absolutely right, the problem is in some societies people don't
view it as all that serious and that is really sad not to mention outrageous

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are a lot of things in our society that others find disgusting and on many occasions I have to agree with them as well as things in other societies that irk me as well.

We're not all the same and we never will be.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Delhi gang-rape victim dies in hospital in Singapore

A female student gang-raped on a bus in India's capital Delhi has died at a Singapore hospital, doctors say.

The 23-year-old had arrived in Singapore on Thursday after undergoing three operations in a Delhi hospital.

The attack earlier this month triggered violent public protests in India that left one police officer dead.

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said he was "very saddened" and promised to channel "emotions and energies" into a course of action.

Six men have been arrested and two police officers have been suspended following the 16 December attack.

A statement from the hospital said the woman "passed away peacefully" early on Saturday with her family by her side.

"The patient had remained in an extremely critical condition since admission to Mount Elizabeth Hospital," hospital chief executive Kelvin Loh said.

"She had suffered from severe organ failure following serious injuries to her body and brain. She was courageous in fighting for her life for so long against the odds but the trauma to her body was too severe for her to overcome.

BBC News - Delhi gang-rape victim dies in hospital in Singapore

Very sad and tragic. This case is a symptom of a societal problem regarding attitudes towards women. I doubt changing the laws or devoting more resources to prosecuting rape alone will solve India's rape justice problems. What India also needs are more women police officers, prosecutors and judges.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It will be interesting to follow this story to see just how these murderers are punished.

It is frightening and quite unbelievable to know that there are groups of men who could
actually treat a woman in this manner, they are worse than any animal on this earth.

The human race has members who are beyond understanding, a man should not be able to have such
gruesome thoughts about a woman, shouldn't allow themselves to form into a gang and do
such a thing to a woman, it makes me shudder, and if I allow myself to stop and visualize
what this woman went through, I could scream and shriek in horror at them, and arm myself
to the teeth and gather as many women as I can and hunt them down, and shoot them all, I
could do it, 'FOR HER', gladly.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The protest organizers demanded that the courts speed the progress of about 100,000 rape cases; that the police to pledge to register rape complaints promptly; that Parliament hold a special session to strengthen laws on rape, sexual harassment and child abuse; and that the Delhi police commissioner be fired for his handling of the protests.
The demands offer a hint of the deep distrust with which most Indians regard the police.
“If there is one state institution that people fear and distrust the most, it’s the police,” Mr. Mehta said. “A lot of people, particularly women, find police more fearsome than the guys out there on the street.”
Perhaps out of this tragedy, some good may come.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Basically the woman was gang raped, sexually assaulted with a tire iron and then tossed off the bus into the gutter.

The victims, a 23-year-old physiotherapy student and her male friend, were on their way home after watching a movie in Saket in South Delhi.[2] They boarded a bus that was being driven by joyriders[3] at about 9.30 pm. The woman became suspicious when the bus deviated from its normal route and its doors were shut. When she objected, the group of six men already on board taunted the couple, asking what they were doing alone at a late hour.[4]

When the victim's friend tried to intervene, he was beaten, gagged and knocked unconscious with an iron rod. The men then dragged the woman to the rear of the bus beating her with the rod and raping her while the bus drove. Medical reports later suggested that the woman suffered serious injuries to her abdomen, intestines and genitals due to assault and penetration using a blunt object suspected to be the same rod.[2] That rod was later described by police as being a rusted, L-shaped implement of the type used with a wheel jack.[5] After the beatings and rape ended, the gang threw the two from the moving bus, and one of the perpetrators later cleaned the vehicle. Police impounded it the next day.[6]

The woman and her companion were found by a passerby on the road, partially clothed and unconscious, around 11 pm. The passerby phoned Delhi Police, who took the couple to hospital, where the woman was given emergency treatment and placed on mechanical ventilation.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Delhi_gang_rape_case