Most Canadians don’t want civil liberties taken away to combat terrorism: poll

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Most Canadians don’t want civil liberties taken away to combat terrorism: poll | Canada | News | National Post

In a poll that otherwise showed a stark generational divide, younger and older Canadians can agree on one thing when it comes to terrorism: that the majority are not ready to give up their civil liberties in order to curb it.

Sixty per cent of Canadians disagree with the statement “in order to curb terrorism in this country, I am ready to give up some civil liberties,” according to a new poll of 2,200 Canadians commissioned by the Association for Canadian Studies, and it was the only result that was relatively consistent across all ages of people surveyed.

“Canadians are very protective of their rights. They value their rights to a considerable extent and are reluctant to make compromises,” said Jack Jedwab, the executive director of the Association for Canadian Studies.

Otherwise, the results of the poll seem to indicate that younger Canadians are less concerned about attacks and more flexible in their views on terrorism, but perhaps less knowledgeable compared to older cohorts of those surveyed.

When asked if they were worried about the possibility of a terrorist attack in Canada, 44% of respondents said “yes,” but when broken down by age, that number ranged from 30 per cent in people aged 18-24 up to 50% in people age 65 and over.

Just over half of respondents, overall, said they think terrorism is most attributable to religious fundamentalism.

But that number was much smaller in Canadians age 18-24, where only 31% said religious fundamentalism was the most important factor, and 25% attributed terrorism to poverty and economic inequality, and another 25% attributed it to Western foreign policy.

Further, 86% of Canadians agreed that terrorism cannot be justified under any circumstances, but that number ranged from 70% in those aged 18-24 and increased incrementally over the cohorts up to 91% in those aged 65 and over.

“There’s likely a tendency for young people, based on the survey results, to think that the older cohorts are more alarmist about this, and the older cohorts probably think that the younger people are a bit more naïve about it,” Jedwab said.

“Somewhere we need to have some meeting of the minds on this.”

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
NObody wants their liberties taken away until something happens close to home . Then they demand all sorts of bans or restrictions.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I do not see the need to give up liberties in an open society once we do that we are no
longer an open society and we have given in to the first set of demands by terrorists.
First of all we do need action by our politicians. We should not allow people into Canada
from countries on terror lists period. Secondly anyone found guilty of attempts to commit
crimes of terror or plotting them should be deported immediately No Appeals.
For far too long we as residents and established Canadians have had to acquiesce to those
coming here to be citizens. Sorry it has to be the other way around. If you want to come
here you have to be willing to fit in. No its not impossible. I have friends in many different
communities, they came from China, South America, Europe, even the Middle East and
they have found a way to fit in. Those who have fundamentalist beliefs that infringe on
Canadians in an open society should not be allowed to bully their way into the society
instead of becoming part of an open society.
Someone once said if you trade freedom for security eventually you will end up with
neither.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
and the last time a terrorist act was perpertrated on Canadians was.........? hangin' around with the yanks is guilt by association! (ask a lawyer)
carefull what ya wish for.
we see on tv how bad bullying is in schools ....... yet, we phuking hangout with the biggest bully... on the planet

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Ben Franklin

Me personally id never give up any of my freedoms no matter what.... If it was ww3 and our government went to a police state i would rise against the government

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Male cow droppings,governments like the one we have now want to restrict liberties to inhance their own power.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Ben Franklin

Me personally id never give up any of my freedoms no matter what.... If it was ww3 and our government went to a police state i would rise against the government

Been in an airport lately?
Even though I am a first attendant I have had both scissors and tweezers stolen by security. Cause gosh you might be able to take over a plane with those 2 inch scissors.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Even though I am a first attendant I have had both scissors and tweezers stolen by security. Cause gosh you might be able to take over a plane with those 2 inch scissors.

LOL. Good post.

I fly enough and yes it can be a pain especially on a busy day.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

The part that makes it more insulting: fly first class and they will just hand you a metal knife to cut your meat.

At least they basically don't enforce the liquids restriction anymore in continental Europe. I wish they would make it official.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The part that makes it more insulting: fly first class and they will just hand you a metal knife to cut your meat.

At least they basically don't enforce the liquids restriction anymore in continental Europe. I wish they would make it official.

Airport security is a joke. Comparable to peeing in a wetsuit. Gives you that warm feeling. Drugs worth 10’s of millions of dollars a year are shipped thru cargo.
The right contacts, money and you can place a bomb on as cargo.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Airport security doesn't give me a warm feeling. All it does for me is to turn a five hour
long international flight into and entire wasted day once you factor in the customs and
security on both ends of the flight.

Factor in the time you have to check in, in advance, at the departing airport, and the time
to clear customs through the lines in the arriving airport....and you easily exceed the time
you actually spend in flight on a trip from Canada to Mexico, for example. Just say'n...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Secondly anyone found guilty of attempts to commit
crimes of terror or plotting them should be deported immediately No Appeals.
Where would you deport a Canadian to?

Airport security doesn't give me a warm feeling. All it does for me is to turn a five hour
long international flight into and entire wasted day once you factor in the customs and
security on both ends of the flight.

Factor in the time you have to check in, in advance, at the departing airport, and the time
to clear customs through the lines in the arriving airport....and you easily exceed the time
you actually spend in flight on a trip from Canada to Mexico, for example. Just say'n...
To date, how many terrorists have been nabbed by CATSA?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
'Bout ten years ago I'm fly'n to Edmonton. Guy says, "I need to see your shoes!"

I shrug and start to take them off, & he stops me, & says, "No, just lift your feet!"

I'm standing up at the time, so I lift one of them, and he pulls my foot up to look at
the bottom of my sole, then says, "Now the other one!"

Whatever....so as I'm doing this, I ask, "So...what are you looking for?"

Dude says, "We've had a problem with shoes recently!" and that's all the explanation
I got. Again, whatever....

These where steel toed black work shoes. I was fly'n for a work related thing. Guy
didn't want to see inside the shoes, or check out the toes, or look under the insole,
but just the tread on the shoes and that was it. I sure felt safer for that experience.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

nope ive only been to 5 continents this year..... If i put a 2icnh pair of scissors in your neck you wouldnt be having a good day