Media Failures; Latest Example, Newton Shooting

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I searched the site and couldn't find a thread on 'the media'......I will add that I haven't seen any TV coverage of this event but this is why I don't watch much TV ..........

Why Are CNN and NBC Interviewing the Students of Sandy Hook Elementary?

One of the many tragedies to come out of Friday's mass shooting in Connecticut is the way information has actually come out of it. Sadly, some of the best sources of information for what happened inside Sandy Hook Elementary before, during, and after the shooting aren't your average eyewitnesses — they're children who've just gone through drama and witnessed death in front of their young eyes. That extra layer of sensitivity doesn't seem to matter to CNN or NBC, which have been broadcasting and re-broadcasting interviews with schoolchildren all day. And what little bit of detail these "witnesses" have to offer doesn't seem to be worth the insensitive nature of the questioning — at least not according to the slew of people on Twitter calling out these news organizations to stop talking to kids, immediately.

Why Are CNN and NBC Interviewing the Students of Sandy Hook Elementary? - National - The Atlantic Wire

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I got news updates on my phone while at work and almost all of them were wrong in some way. 1st one said "Shooting in Connecticut -- 1 dead -- the shooter". Then they proceeded to send updates with different numbers, identified wrong guy as shooter. I was also under the impression that the shooter had gone to the school to kill his mother who was a teacher there. Most of the updates I got were wrong in some way. Too quick to want to be first and get the ratings. Nobody fact checks anymore they just throw it out there. TV news is not supposed to be like Twitter which has lots of crap coming fast and most of it junk or inaccurate.

And kids do not need to be interviewed for good ratings. The media are vultures.