Two dead in shooting at Oregon mall: Report

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
By Teresa Carson, Dan Whitcomb and Alex Dobuzinskis, Reuters

A gunman opened fire at an Oregon shopping mall outside Portland on Tuesday and several people were believed to have been shot, authorities said, while local media reported two had been killed.
The gunman remained at large at the Clackamas Town Center near the Portland suburb of Happy Valley, said Steve Campbell, spokesman for the city.
“There is an active shooter at the Clackamas Town Center,” Campbell said.
The Oregonian newspaper reported on its website that two people had been killed by a man using a semi-automatic rifle who may have also been wearing body armor. The paper said the shooting occurred near the mall’s food court.
“The scene outside as I was leaving was just chaos,” witness Isabel Valentine told the paper. “Police were everywhere, people were crying and screaming, and we still don’t know exactly why this all happened.”
Oregonian sports reporter John Canzano, who said he was at the mall when the shooting began, tweeted that “panicked people are running from the mall” and later urged his followers simply to “pray.”

Police and SWAT teams established a perimeter around the scene and worked to evacuate the mall as they searched for the shooting suspect. The Clackamas County Sheriff’s office urged members of the public to avoid the area.
A spokeswoman for the mall said she had no immediate information and directed calls to law enforcement.

Two dead in shooting at Oregon mall: Report - World - Canoe.ca

And apparently now the shooter has been 'neutralized'

Police 'neutralize' gunman in Portland-area mall shooting | Sympatico.ca News

Which I assume means dead or else they probably would have said arrested.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Twice the rate of Canada and rating 12 highest in the world, although, most are suicides.

Cliffy, the rate of firearms related death is completely irrelevant.

If the murder rate is low, which it is, then the prevalence of firearms has not caused undue death.

People are just as dead if stabbed, bludgeoned, burned, strangled, tossed off high buildings, run over, beaten to death, drowned, etc etc.........

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

If the murder rate is low, which it is, then the prevalence of firearms has not caused undue death.

People are just as dead if stabbed, bludgeoned, burned, strangled, tossed off high buildings, run over, beaten to death, drowned, etc etc.........

True but in this case, could 1 man have gone to 1 mall with 1 knife and injured so many or killed 2? The gun made it easier for one crazed individual to do more damage quicker.

That being said, I have little doubt that controlled or not, a lunitic will get he weapon he wants. So the gun control argument in these cases is moot (IMHO).

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

Or exploded by a nuclear bomb. Should we therefore just declare a free for all on nuclear arms since there is no biological difference between death by drowning and death by nuclear explosion?

Ignoring tactical functionality of certain weapons for a focus on biological deadness serves no other purpose than rhetorical confusion.

I'll agree to your first two points though. Although I become more and more convinced that the murder rate decrease can be attributed to the extreme incarceration rate. Other nations are able to obtain their low murder rates without such extreme incarceration rates, and that confounding variable may obscure the worrying trend of violence.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Jeeezez some people author weird shyte.
By Teresa Carson, Dan Whitcomb and Alex Dobuzinskis, Reuters

A gunman opened fire at an Oregon shopping mall outside Portland on Tuesday and several people were believed to have been shot, authorities said, while local media reported two had been killed.
.... but they aren't sure?
The gunman remained at large at the Clackamas Town Center near the Portland suburb of Happy Valley, said Steve Campbell, spokesman for the city.
“There is an active shooter at the Clackamas Town Center,” Campbell said.
The Oregonian newspaper reported on its website that two people had been killed by a man using a semi-automatic rifle who may have also been wearing body armor. The paper said the shooting occurred near the mall’s food court.
Yet the people were only believed to have been shot?

Oregonian sports reporter John Canzano, who said he was at the mall when the shooting began, tweeted that “panicked people are running from the mall” and later urged his followers simply to “pray.”
lmao Oh, that'd definitely ward off any flying projectiles. I'd have suggested something like, "RUN!" or "HIDE!".

Two dead in shooting at Oregon mall: Report - World - Canoe.ca

And apparently now the shooter has been 'neutralized'

Police 'neutralize' gunman in Portland-area mall shooting | Sympatico.ca News

Which I assume means dead or else they probably would have said arrested.
lol

Oh, and BTW, yes, a person with a knife can be quite devastating in a crowd. The only difference is that the gun-weilder wouldn't have to be as quick and could stay in a small area to do the damage. If a dude that's adept with a knife is agile and fast, he could certainly do as much damage without having to stop and reload occasionally.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Thank goodness this idiot's gun jammed, otherwise I'm sure a lot more people may have been murdered. Gutless little coward was able to unjam it in time to blow his slimy little head off. Too bad he couldn't have just done it first, and those two people would still be alive.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Jeeezez some people author weird shyte.

It's a good thing they don't write for a living eh? lol

Thank goodness this idiot's gun jammed, otherwise I'm sure a lot more people may have been murdered. Gutless little coward was able to unjam it in time to blow his slimy little head off. Too bad he couldn't have just done it first, and those two people would still be alive.

Gutless slimeballs should always shoot themselves first and ask questions later. Why they feel the need to take other people down with them I'll never understand.