Racist slurs shock family cutting down Christmas tree

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
CALGARY -- What should have been a joyous outing for some new Calgarians seeking a Christmas tree turned into an ugly racist confrontation that’s left them questioning their chosen city.

Laura Sharpe, who moved with her three young children from Toronto to Calgary two years ago, said her family was looking for a tree to cut in Bragg Creek Provincial Park last Thursday after she’d secured a permit to do so.

Sharpe said they’d spotted the ideal evergreen along Hwy. 66 and were proceeding to cut it down.

“Our permit was on the dashboard in the car and they’d given us a map to show where we could cut down trees,” said Sharpe, 31.

It was then, she said, that a white SUV drove past, then quickly returned to where the mother and her kids, aged 10, 11 and 12, had paused with their new Christmas tree.

“It was a white couple and they started taking pictures ... they were in their 50s, they could have been school teachers,” Sharpe recalled.

The man then yelled at the four, insisting they had no legal right to harvest a tree, while the woman shot video of them on her smartphone, Sharpe said.

“I said, ‘It’s not illegal,’ and then he called us ‘dumb, stupid n i g g e r s ’ to me and my kids ... they were about 10 or 15 feet away from us,” she said.

more Christmas Spirit

Racist slurs shock family cutting down Christmas tree | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Would this be considered an SUV or not? Just curious....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I believe I have. Not many are actually equipped with a roll bar lighting, winch, bush guards and a spare on the roof rack.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I believe I have. Not many are actually equipped with a roll bar lighting, winch, bush guards and a spare on the roof rack.

....& ladder up the back, & rear bush guard that wraps around the tail lights,
and a train horn, lifted high, School bus yellow, and so on and so forth. It's
awesome at the mall too.

You come out and look across the parking lot, & don't have to ask, "Now where
did I park this time?" as it's more like, "Yep, there it is!"

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Shopping for cold cuts, milk and whole wheat bread can be a very daunting and all day task
That's what the station wagons with truck tires (SUV) are for.

30 years ago if you would have told me that people in the future would be driving station wagons and thinking they are cool, I would have laughed at you but today, here we are, with station wagons with truck tires.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think the Dodge Magnum (no truck tires) is pretty cool for a station wagon.
They sound absolutely beautifully when someone opens them up With a
foot on the floor.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Rednecks would have known she was within her right to cut a tree. Citiots can be racists too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
foot on the floor.
But they don't have truck tires. :)

Don't laugh.....bell bottoms came back again for a while.;-)
Thank God it was just a short while. Remember mom taking a broom to you after tobogganing in your corduroy?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
foot on the floor.

Saw one recently that was painted flat black, all the trim, rims, etc, blacked out. Darn did it look sharp.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Is the fact that almost everyone, with callous indifference, avoided the topic in the OP indicative of their own latent, and perhaps a greater persistent and therefore systemic racism?

I'm sorry this woman and especially her children had to endure what these lesser examples of our society had to subject them to. It shouldn't happen this time, nor any time, of year.