Sex selection abortions

Are you for Gender or sex selective abortion?

• Total voters

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
For or against??????

Which "right" trumps the other....
Woman's right to choose....or....sex discrimination???

Battle looms over Langley MP’s motion on sex-selective abortion

OTTAWA — A Conservative backbencher’s motion on sex-selective abortions caught the ire of opposition parties Wednesday, with the NDP and Liberal leaders claiming it was another attempt to outlaw abortion, while the MP behind the proposal called it a stand for human rights.
The volleys over Tory MP Mark Warawa’s motion are part of an ongoing tug-of-war between anti-abortion MPs who want to claim the motion for their cause, and advocates who want to keep the proposal distanced from the politically controversial abortion debate.

Read more: Battle looms over Tory MP

Even if late term abortions are legal in Canada, I put the third option to satisfy everybody.

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
That's a tough one. I voted 'against' because of what has happened in India and China. While it is illegal there it is well known to happen. Preferring one sex over the other will eventually lead to some major demographic issues.

At the same time it'd probably be a hard ban to enforce. Its not very hard for a person to lie about the reason they want an abortion. Or just not give one at all.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That's a tough one. I voted 'against' because of what has happened in India and China. While it is illegal there it is well known to happen. Preferring one sex over the other will eventually lead to some major demographic issues.

At the same time it'd probably be a hard ban to enforce. Its not very hard for a person to lie about the reason they want an abortion. Or just not give one at all.
I also voted against sex based abortions even though I'm against late any term abortions if the life of the mother isn't at risk.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Theres a difference between being for something, and loathing it but failing to see a way to implement it fairly. If abortion is legal, and finding out the sex of your child is legal, then attempting to make sex selection abortion illegal boils down to trying to police peoples thoughts. And we all know how easy that is. What i foresee is a lot of racial profiling of prospective parents.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Whoa whoa whoa... A woman has every right to abort any baby she wishes. Who are we to judge? If she doesn't want a little girl (or boy) then she has every right to terminate it. Keep your hands out of their wombs and off their bodies.

Right?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Btw, id have voted if thered been an option pertaining to our stance on the motion

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Theres a difference between being for something, and loathing it but failing to see a way to implement it fairly. If abortion is legal, and finding out the sex of your child is legal, then attempting to make sex selection abortion illegal boils down to trying to police peoples thoughts. And we all know how easy that is. What i foresee is a lot of racial profiling of prospective parents.
THE CMA put out as note last year or so - asking Doctors to not tell parents the sex of the baby. They did not single out Asians - They asked that all parents not be told.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
I am against sex selective abortions.80% Against abortions period..

Options/Choices is all that keeps us free...
Based on the Circumstance/Situation/Educated Decisions..

Thinking before Action ..Always Helps...

Last edited:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Karrie is dead on with this one: how do you implement this proposed law without contravening other laws/rights that are already given to women/prospective parents? I don't "like" abortions, and I think abortions of convenience are reprehensible but I dislike the alternative even more.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

China is the text book case of gender selected demographic changes. And so far, in Canada there does seem to be some selection, but the devil is in the details. As an example, some fairly recent research -not to mention the CMA editorial- has shown that some immigrants do indeed exhibit gender selection, but the context really matters. They looked at families where there were already two female children, and what happens when they have a third child. In the larger population the ratio was 1.05 boys to every girl. That's not actually significant, as human sex ratios vary remarkably with geography and time. When the analysis was confined to Asian ethnicity like South Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese, the ratio jumps to 1.39 boys to every girl. That's pretty significant.

But, when you look at how that statistical fact translates demographically, it doesn't appear to matter. If you look at the Census data for say Chinese Canadians, the ratio is no different than for Canada as a whole. Where the national ratio is 1.05 boys for every girl, Chinese Canadians have a very similar ratio, 1.05 boys for every girl.

So, while the CMA announcement may make one believe that there is a significant policy decision to be made based on cases where they know gender selection does take place, it is not significant enough to cause a noticeable impact on the population. So really, there isn't much evidence to conclude that gender or sex selection has any impact on Canadian social outcomes to the extent that we should try to limit the outcomes.

In China, it's estimated that there are about 40 million missing women, and that is and will have consequences for many years to come in Chinese society. There's no evidence that the same is happening here. And why would there? People have the freedom to have as many children as they like. And by-and-large there are no economic reasons for a family to favour more boys.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Technically if a ban were put in place thats exactly what would happen. No one would be touching them or going in them.

Unless they choose.

But if they don't want a little girl... keep away. Its their right to abort whatever they want.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's illegal to select the sex at conception, ie screen embryos for gender before transfer to the womb. There is also extreme reluctance in the medical profession to share the gender if known in early pregnancy. This legislation would only be meddling in people's lives when in fact there is plenty of checks already in place. I agree with Karrie this would amount to thought control. Why aren't these politicians just punted out of office? Pathetic social engineers.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
China is the text book case of gender selected demographic changes. And so far, in Canada there does seem to be some selection, but the devil is in the details. As an example, some fairly recent research -not to mention the CMA editorial- has shown that some immigrants do indeed exhibit gender selection, but the context really matters. They looked at families where there were already two female children, and what happens when they have a third child. In the larger population the ratio was 1.05 boys to every girl. That's not actually significant, as human sex ratios vary remarkably with geography and time. When the analysis was confined to Asian ethnicity like South Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese, the ratio jumps to 1.39 boys to every girl. That's pretty significant.

But, when you look at how that statistical fact translates demographically, it doesn't appear to matter. If you look at the Census data for say Chinese Canadians, the ratio is no different than for Canada as a whole. Where the national ratio is 1.05 boys for every girl, Chinese Canadians have a very similar ratio, 1.05 boys for every girl.

So, while the CMA announcement may make one believe that there is a significant policy decision to be made based on cases where they know gender selection does take place, it is not significant enough to cause a noticeable impact on the population. So really, there isn't much evidence to conclude that gender or sex selection has any impact on Canadian social outcomes to the extent that we should try to limit the outcomes.

In China, it's estimated that there are about 40 million missing women, and that is and will have consequences for many years to come in Chinese society. There's no evidence that the same is happening here. And why would there? People have the freedom to have as many children as they like. And by-and-large there are no economic reasons for a family to favour more boys.

But it can make a change within the ratio of male-female for the ethnic population.

Another issue you may be unaware of.Off topic.

Marrying cousins

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I believe in freedom of choice but a right comes with responsibilities and that is the way
society works. I think a woman has a right to an abortion under certain conditions.
I don't agree with sex determined abortions that is done purely for cultural reasons and
it is repugnant.
Personally I don't like the concept of an abortion period other than life of the mother etc.
But my personal view is in conflict with the society we live in, it is unfortunate that we don't
create a society where abortions would not be necessary.

The problem we have is that we just go on banging our heads together over the issue itself
without caring a hoot about the reasons for the people getting an abortion.
Women don't just have abortions because its Tuesday, there are circumstances that come
together to create the option. As a society we have to be willing to compromise on how we
develop the conditions where mothers feel safe, secure and want to have a child. Without
that we condemn ourselves to more of the same.
Strategic abortions like sex selection is not acceptable in our society.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Again... who are we to decide when a woman can or can't have an abortion. If you don't want an abortion don't have one. If a woman doesn't feel like having a little girl she has every right to terminate the child. Don't force your beliefs on them. What a bunch of right wing religious nuts some of you sound like. Abortion and fund it!

Right?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Again... who are we to decide when a woman can or can't have an abortion. If you don't want an abortion don't have one. If a woman doesn't feel like having a little girl she has every right to terminate the child. Don't force your beliefs on them. What a bunch of right wing religious nuts some of you sound like. Abortion and fund it!

Right?

Actually, if she doesn't want to get pregnant...it's real simple...... she should make the choice and keep her fu cking legs crossed!

The choice is available to get pregnant or not well before an "abortion" is required. Instead, it's the hell with the consequences of our decisions, we can always kill the little bugger later.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Right?
Right