Sears steals guy's wrench for itself

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
"Sears, a jury decided, took the trade secrets and had the tool made abroad for Craftsman. "

Last Christmas, Sears had a brisk seller in the Bionic Wrench, an award-winning, patented tool with spiffy lime green accents. This holiday season, though, Sears has a special display for its own wrench, in the red and black colors of its house brand, Craftsman.

One customer who recently spotted the new Craftsman tool, called the Max Axess wrench, thought it was an obvious knockoff, right down to the try-me packaging. “I saw it and I said, ‘This is a Bionic Wrench,’ ” recalled Dana Craig, a retiree and tool enthusiast in Massachusetts who alerted the maker of the Bionic Wrench. “It’s a very distinctive tool,” he added.

The tools have one significant difference, Mr. Craig noted. The Bionic Wrench is made in the United States. The Max Axess wrench is made in China.

The shift at Sears from a tool invented and manufactured in the United States to a very similar one made offshore has already led to a loss of American jobs and a brewing patent battle.

The story of the Bionic Wrench versus Craftsman, which bills itself as “America’s most trusted tool brand,” also raises questions about how much entrepreneurs and innovators, who rely on the country’s intellectual property laws, can protect themselves. For the little guy, court battles are inevitably time-consuming and costly, no matter the outcome.

more

Popular Wrench Fights a Chinese Rival - NYTimes.com

Dan Brown Claims Sears Stole Idea for His 'Bionic Wrench' - YouTube

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Looks like a piece of junk anyway,a wrench is no good unless you can put three feet of pipe on it to get some real torque.