Calgary girl gets in trouble for wearing Rider jersey to school

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Told to change or miss pep rally.

The thought of getting in trouble for wearing a Rider jersey is unimaginable in Saskatchewan, but in Calgary that's what happened to Alesandra Behr.

Thirteen-year-old Behr wore her Rider jersey to her Calgary junior high school for a pre-Grey Cup pep rally on Friday. But, the vice-principal of her school told her to change.

"She was pulled off into another room and sort of given a detention - just told to do some homework or do some reading while everyone else got to go into the gym," said Alesandra's dad, Jason Behr.

He said that as a Rider fan and father, he was shocked his daughter couldn't wear her jersey to the pep rally.

"I'm a die-hard Rider fan. When I heard she was not allowed into a pep rally because of that, I got pretty mad," he said.

"She didn't do anything wrong by wearing her jersey and by supporting her team."

Jason said the vice-principal of the school had been under the impression this pep rally was specifically for the Calgary Stampeders, not Grey Cup themed.

"(The vice-principal) thought it was disrespectful that Alesandra decided to wear green and specifically her Rider jersey to a pep rally for the Calgary Stampeders," said Jason.

However, the principal found out about this incident and told the vice-principal it was a Grey Cup pep rally and other CFL team jerseys were allowed.

The principal let Alesandra into the pep rally wearing her green and white.

Jason said the principal and vice-principal have both apologized to him and will apologize to his daughter today.

While Jason feels the situation wasn't initially handled well, he's happy with the apologies and the way his daughter stood up for herself.

He said supporting the Riders is an important part of their family, even though they don't live in Saskatchewan.

"I'm a season ticket holder for the Calgary Stampeders and have been for 13 years. But it doesn't matter whether Winnipeg is playing or Edmonton is playing or who's playing Calgary, I wear my Rider gear to every single Calgary home game and I don't think that's disrespectful to Calgary at all. I'm just supporting my team."

Jason grew up in Grayson, Saskatchewan and has lived in Calgary for 22 years.
tburdeniuk@rawlco.com

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As a long time Rider fan I don't see anything disrespectful at all. Here is a school teaching children
to be hypocrites. Oh you have to be for the home team. Well not everyone is for the home team.
I go to all kinds of functions and when its in season I wear Rider gear. I have all kinds of Rider stuff
jackets T shirts, even a tie and luggage tags.
The school is the ones who should be ridiculed. not the student. If I was a parent I would have said
something to the Principal of the school. In fact for Rider fans the game and team are a religion.
Wonder if this is discrimination based on preference oh and religion? Imagine forcing a child to wear
something other than Rider gear?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I'm trying to see things from the father's perspective but I seriously doubt I could get my head that far up his rectum.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm trying to see things from the father's perspective but I seriously doubt I could get my head that far up his rectum.
To accomplish that, it might be easier if you first remove your head from your own.;-)

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Rider fans are everywhere and trying to stop them is like trying to negotiate with a field
of locusts. What makes a school think it can have a team pep rally in any community
and have everyone on the same side. My mother once told me have one mind is impossible
she was very Irish and she admitted that even if you put an Irishman in a room by himself
in half an hour he would find someone to fight with, that was an example I have always kept
in mind. Go Riders

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A misunderstanding happened at a school and was quickly corrected complete with an apology from staff? THAT is the news story folks, not the jersey.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I think this story is an indictment of our school system. We are supposed to be educating children. After 8 whole years in the school system, why is this poor child still a Rider fan?