NYPD cop's act of kindness goes viral; Ariz. woman behind touching photo

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
NYPD cop's act of kindness goes viral; Ariz. woman behind touching photo

Watch the video - News Canada

NEW YORK - A tourist's snapshot of a New York City police officer giving new boots to a barefoot homeless man in Times Square has created an online sensation. Jennifer Foster, a tourist from Arizona, posted a picture of Officer Larry DePrimo giving the man the all-weather boots and socks on a frigid night in Times Square on Nov. 14. The image became an instant hit on the NYPD's Facebook page. As of Thursday morning, more than 320,000 users "liked" his generosity and more than 78,000 had "shared" it. DePrimo tells Newsday the homeless man said he'd never had a pair of shoes. He says the man "smiled from ear to ear. It was like you gave him a million dollars." From the NYPD Facebook page: "Jennifer Foster of Florence, AZ was visiting Times Square with her husband Nov. 14 when they saw a shoeless man asking for change. She writes, 'Right when I was about to approach, one of your officers came up behind him. The officer said, 'I have these size 12 boots for you, they are all-weather. Let's put them on and take care of you.' The officer squatted down on the ground and proceeded to put socks and the new boots on this man. The officer expected NOTHING in return and did not know I was watching*. I have been in law enforcement for 17 years. I was never so impressed in my life. I did not get the officer's name. It is important, I think, for all of us to remember the real reason we are in this line of work. The reminder this officer gave to our profession in his presentation of human kindness has not been lost on myself or any of the Arizona law enforcement officials with whom this story has been shared.'" *image cropped from the distance at which it was taken

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Very, very cool. It's nice to see something go viral that isn't about some weird new Korean dance craze or somebodies cat for a change.