Urban reserves are a proven success in Saskatchewan

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When the time-tested bannock recipe was passed from mother to daughter, who could have known it would play a central role in a highly successful restaurant business?

Nearly 20 years later, Micsotan, the Cree word for "eat," still makes fresh bannock and home-cooked meals daily, caters to large crowds, and employs family members and many local young people.

But what truly makes this a stand-out success, beyond the mortgage-free home and lakefront property of the owners, is the restaurant is located on an urban reserve in Saskatchewan.

Utter those two words in Manitoba -- urban reserve -- and you're in for a debate over a little-understood and often maligned economic development concept intended to help First Nations become economically self-sufficient.

Of course there is ignorance out there, with some people thinking "urban reserve" means an "urban ghetto," with its associated poverty. But if economic success stories from across Canada are studied, it is through partnerships between First Nations and municipalities that significant economic progress is achieved, for all parties involved.

Saskatchewan, with 49 urban reserves across the province and many more pending, is the first place to look should Manitoba want to examine urban reserves, their outcomes and their potential.

Chief Cliff Tawpisin of Muskeg Lake Cree Nation said the urban reserve established in Saskatoon has generated jobs and wealth for both communities and, importantly, has fostered trust that is a critical component of the ongoing working relationship.

Urban reserves, after all, are not relocated versions of remote and northern communities, but specially designated centres for economic growth within urban communities. Some are as small as a single lot while others can be parcels in the eight- to 14-hectare range.

In these economic zones, opportunities to build real wealth and equity are created, rather than the old-school focus on easy-come, easy-go cash. Importantly, urban reserves also have the potential to create new jobs and business-investment opportunities in previously disregarded or underdeveloped urban areas.

Think of the downtown business improvement zone and the urban reserve concept isn't nearly as intimidating. Or consider China's special economic zones, which were created to speed the transition into a capitalist free-market system. Where these zones exist, economic growth flows.

Paul Ledoux is the CEO of the Muskeg Lake Economic Development branch and has witnessed the benefits first-hand.

"An urban reserve has given our First Nations community the opportunity to develop commercial ventures which helped us enhance our community services and programs through the net profits of our enterprises," he said.

Once thought of as enclaves of unfair advantage, the urban reserves in Regina and Saskatoon are benefiting not only the First Nations communities partnering in development, but also the municipalities and surrounding areas.

Look back as far as 1993, when the 52,000-square -foot McKnight Commercial Centre first opened. It provides a solid example of how jobs can be created during the construction phase, ongoing revenue sources generated through the leasing of space and new skills developed by members of First Nations communities in the property-development and management fields. In turn, partnerships like this deliver economic spinoffs and new income for partnering municipalities.

Educating Manitobans about the potential benefits of urban reserves, for First Nations and cities, is a crucial stage in the process.

"There will always be misconceptions from the general public no matter where an urban reserve is located," said Ledoux. "However, we found that fact-based, open communications helped grow understanding of the importance of urban reserves as an economic and social tool for First Nations communities."

Chief Tawpisin agreed, adding municipalities are key in helping educate the public with ongoing updates to the wards to ensure everyone knows what is going on and why.

In Manitoba, we have a long way to go to build strong municipal-First Nations working relationships, and an even longer way to go to generate wealth in our First Nations communities. While the road to creating urban reserves cannot be expected to be all smooth sailing, this is an opportunity for our province that is ripe for the taking.

If we look to best practices across Canada, we can build upon the success that Saskatchewan is having. If we engage in partnership-building and strong communications, we can create opportunities that transcend identity.

If, like Micsotan, we start with a simple, time-tested recipe, we can move First Nations, one family at a time, from outside the fort to willing, active partners in our intertwined economic futures.

James Wilson is commissioner of the Treaty Relations Commission of Manitoba, a neutral body mandated to encourage discussion, facilitate public understanding and enhance mutual respect between all peoples in Manitoba.

Republished from the Winnipeg Freek Press

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Excellent article. It's usually outside the box thinking that reaps the greatest rewards isn't it?
\

It is. There are a couple of rez run business in the city that have me as a customer for life if they keep up the high standards.

There is a really good future here in SK for any rez that wants to move forward and take the opportunities by the balls.

I've seen some awesome changes in the attitude of the youth and it's only going to get better. A little bit of pride goes a looooooong way and they have a lot to be proud of.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's in Toontown, best bannock in Regina is at 4 Winds on 5th ave. Their Indian tacos are amazing. 4 Winds is just a cafe but there is an upscale restaurant being set up in Regina offering a plethora of wild meats and traditional recipes. I'm eagerly waiting to go have an elk steak cooked and seasoned using local herbs anytime of year which is a wet dream come true. Elk can be bought here locally but finding the right prairie herbs for home BBQ is something out of my league.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's in Toontown, best bannock in Regina is at 4 Winds on 5th ave. Their Indian tacos are amazing. 4 Winds is just a cafe but there is an upscale restaurant being set up in Regina offering a plethora of wild meats and traditional recipes. I'm eagerly waiting to go have an elk steak cooked and seasoned using local herbs anytime of year which is a wet dream come true. Elk can be bought here locally but finding the right prairie herbs for home BBQ is something out of my league.

My sister raves about a restaurant down on the river in R that uses mainly local ingredients. Not sure what its called though.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
There's a couple FN restaurants in the Okanagan serving relatively traditional fare, too. I love the food. One of my favorites is moose or elk burger with a slice of raw onion, a slice of raw tomato, lettuce, hot peppers, on a corn bannock bun.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There's a couple FN restaurants in the Okanagan serving relatively traditional fare, too. I love the food. One of my favorites is moose or elk burger with a slice of raw onion, a slice of raw tomato, lettuce, hot peppers, on a corn bannock bun.
I've only been to "feasts" to try traditional fare, The two dishes that really made me bust a nut were partridge stuffed with wild rice and green onion cooked over a birch fire and birch/maple smoked pickerel.

My sister raves about a restaurant down on the river in R that uses mainly local ingredients. Not sure what its called though.
Probably the Willow in Wascana Park, I haven't tried them yet, over the years there has been several tries and failures at that locaton.

Looking at their menu I'm going to make a point of it ASAP.

The Willow on Wascana > Home

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I've only been to "feasts" to try traditional fare, The two dishes that really made me bust a nut were partridge stuffed with wild rice and green onion cooked over a birch fire and birch/maple smoked pickerel.
Sounds good. We get ruffed, blue, and willow grouse around here. Those and pheasant are very tasty birds. And IMO, nothing beats natural woodfire cooking.
Besides having had FN friends that concocted some tasty stuff through my life, wifey cooks traditional foods fairly frequently.
Anyway, it's pretty great that some nations get right into being productive.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There has to be at least 30 different types of sage that grow wild here and I'd love to know which one it is but it takes SK game birds to a whole new level of delicious.

Someday I'll find that sage and someday (after 30 years of trying) I'll shoot a pheasant to cook with that sage.

Our winters may be **** but we're blessed with so much wild game it makes a hunter's bum hum.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Those are mainly garden varieties but thanks for the help. There are over 900 wild varieites of sage and at least 20 types here in SK.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The one at the Science Center or the one in Wascana?

Yeah I do believe it's the Wascana one. Sis said she really enjoyed the food, and at the time was blown away by their buffalo tortiere served with sasktoon chutney.