Obese woman dies after being kicked off planes

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Obese woman dies after being kicked off planes
By QMI Agency

A 407-pound American woman in need of kidney treatment died in Hungary after being denied boarding on three flights because of her weight. Now her husband says he plans to sue.
Vilma Soltesz, 56, died of kidney failure at her vacation home on Oct. 24, ABC News reports. She was supposed to have flown home to New York City to see her doctor nine days prior.
But Soltesz, who was obese and wheelchair-bound — she only had one leg — couldn't find a flight that would take her.

Obese woman dies after being kicked off planes - World - Canoe.ca

Kind of makes you wonder how she got over to her 'vacation home' in the first place if not by plane.

Also, they have no doctors there?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I know that many airlines will refuse transport for more serious medical issues due to the associated liabilities.

Nest time you fly internationally, take a look at the travel insurance you buy, there is an option for coverage of costs associated with medivac services that would basically charter a private plane with healthcare pros on board.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I know that many airlines will refuse transport for more serious medical issues due to the associated liabilities.

Nest time you fly internationally, take a look at the travel insurance you buy, there is an option for coverage of costs associated with medivac services that would basically charter a private plane with healthcare pros on board.

Yeah the 'report/story' seems really questionable to me. I'd be interested to see what more comes out about it but since there's a lawsuit pending I'll bet it won't be much.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah the 'report/story' seems really questionable to me. I'd be interested to see what more comes out about it but since there's a lawsuit pending I'll bet it won't be much.
Hmmmm. Ever been stuck on a Jazz flight with a football team? Those guys are huge and too fat too fly.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

I believe that it will take a formal statement from the airline(s) to clarify this issue.

While this woman's death is tragic, I don't think that the family will get all the traction that they seek in a law suit