Time to boycott Timmy's

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They'll take away his franchise if it's true or if it gets a lot of press. They are typically very strict with most franchises, but I've heard that Tim Horton's in particular is especially so. At least they used to be.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They'll take away his franchise if it's true or if it gets a lot of press. They are typically very strict with most franchises, but I've heard that Tim Horton's in particular is especially so. At least they used to be.

Yep, probably, the only thing that might save him, I suppose, Dawson Creek (by southern standards) is a rather remote community.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Meh, I've had to direct people to the Labour Board because of how they were treated by the owners of a franchise.

From being hospitalized after a sting from a yellow jacket, while working inside the building, without being compensated for lost time. To being 'laid off' with a call back listed at 13 months (After 9, it's called termination), without severance.

Some franchise owners try to get away with stuff.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yep, probably, the only thing that might save him, I suppose, Dawson Creek (by southern standards) is a rather remote community.

Dawson Creek is a pretty busy hub community, but, if you don't have a vehicle or cash on hand to grab a bus, you'd be screwed if you were at the mercy of someone like this.

Unfortunately, he's far from the only employer to rely on the lack of education of immigrant workers. There was another BC case of a bunch of men, Haitians if I recall correctly, being used as essentially slave labour doing tree planting.

As for boycotting Tim Horton's. I will happily boycott HIS Tim Horton's, but in no way shape or form has Tim Horton's as a chain perpetrated this crime upon these people. If you turn up some way that it did, please, shed some light and I'd be happy to jump on board a boycott.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Meh, I've had to direct people to the Labour Board because of how they were treated by the owners of a franchise.

From being hospitalized after a sting from a yellow jacket, while working inside the building, without being compensated for lost time. To being 'laid off' with a call back listed at 13 months (After 9, it's called termination), without severance.

Some franchise owners try to get away with stuff.

I'm just going by what I've seen in franchise agreements, there is always an out. Depends on how high the heat gets turned up I suppose. I'd be willing to bet big play in the press, negative play in the press, would have more of an effect than the labour board too.

And it's not just franchise owners, lots of employers try to get away with stuff. But to be fair most labour law and reporting requirements, duties, rights etc can be complex and mind boggling. I've seen people just not know what they're supposed to do. Everytime I revisit the legislation I find out something new. Some of it's weird counter intuitive stuff as well.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Karrie's last paragraph sums it up for me. I would be in bad shape without my 3 coffees a day. Yes I've tried the other chains but no sale.

But I am curious as to why are they using 'temp foreign workers' or possibly the story may expand if locals who worked there have had issues.

But weren't 'guest workers' to be used for farming only?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Karrie's last paragraph sums it up for me. I would be in bad shape without my 3 coffees a day. Yes I've tried the other chains but no sale.

But I am curious as to why are they using 'temp foreign workers' or possibly the story may expand if locals who worked there have had issues.

No, you can bring in temporary foreign workers for many kinds of businesses. It's an involved process and you need to go through government channels, but it's not just farm labour.

Hiring Temporary Foreign Workers in Canada

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I lived in nearby Fort St John for 4 years. In my time I there, I saw three new restaurants built, that then sat empty because they could not get staff for them. Investors are sitting on tons of money to open businesses, but lacking in people to staff them. People are rich up there. They don't need fast food jobs when they can jump on a pipe wrench or run a hot shot truck for 5 times the pay.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm just going by what I've seen in franchise agreements, there is always an out. Depends on how high the heat gets turned up I suppose. I'd be willing to bet big play in the press, negative play in the press, would have more of an effect than the labour board too.
That's a problem is you ask me.

It shouldn't matter if their behavior does or doesn't reach the press.

If you try and fraudulently terminate an employee, or deny them compensation for a work place accident, is no different than what this allegedly clown did.

And it's not just franchise owners, lots of employers try to get away with stuff. But to be fair most labour law and reporting requirements, duties, rights etc can be complex and mind boggling.
I'm not a union leader, a lawyer, a labour board employee or anything related. I owned my own business, it was my job to make sure my *** was covered, as well as my employees.

And other than paying them out of my personal accounts on occasion, I did just that, lol.

I've seen people just not know what they're supposed to do. Everytime I revisit the legislation I find out something new. Some of it's weird counter intuitive stuff as well.
It helps to know labour lawyers, and labour board investigators.

XL half hot chocolate. I don't care what you say, that's delish. lol.
If it's made with Timmy's coffee, it couldn't be.

There are coffee snobs that populate these boards, lol.
I'm proud to say I resemble that remark.

Timmy's ain't that bad.
Yes it is.

Is my little town the only town with a small coffee shop that employs real barista's and serves a reasonably priced cup of real coffee?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Last week at a nearby Tim Horton I had to wait 11minutes for my coffee, because they only had one cash going and the couple in front of me were ordering soup and sandwich deal.
So when I got to my seat, I just text Tim Horton head office, about it, even mentioning that I still tipped the cashier because the delay wasn't her fault...
The next day, they had two cashiers.........

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Dawson Creek is a pretty busy hub community, but, if you don't have a vehicle or cash on hand to grab a bus, you'd be screwed if you were at the mercy of someone like this.

Unfortunately, he's far from the only employer to rely on the lack of education of immigrant workers. There was another BC case of a bunch of men, Haitians if I recall correctly, being used as essentially slave labour doing tree planting.

As for boycotting Tim Horton's. I will happily boycott HIS Tim Horton's, but in no way shape or form has Tim Horton's as a chain perpetrated this crime upon these people. If you turn up some way that it did, please, shed some light and I'd be happy to jump on board a boycott.

Yep, that was near Golden, another remote community.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That's a problem is you ask me.

It shouldn't matter if their behavior does or doesn't reach the press.

If you try and fraudulently terminate an employee, or deny them compensation for a work place accident, is no different than what this allegedly clown did.

Yeah, I'm not defending it, just stating the odds.

I'm not a union leader, a lawyer, a labour board employee or anything related. I owned my own business, it was my job to make sure my *** was covered, as well as my employees.
What are the requirements for reinstating an employee after a medical leave of absence? Honestly, without looking it up first?

And other than paying them out of my personal accounts on occasion, I did just that, lol.
Other than, lol.That's a big no-no, but I've already mentioned that before. :)

It helps to know labour lawyers, and labour board investigators.
This is what I'm saying! There is a reason that this is a specialized field, lol.

I'm proud to say I resemble that remark.
Will you at least rate it higher than Starbucks?

Lol. For me???

Is my little town the only town with a small coffee shop that employs real barista's and serves a reasonably priced cup of real coffee?
Well then you're just spoiled then aren't you. ;)

Last week at a nearby Tim Horton I had to wait 11minutes for my coffee, because they only had one cash going and the couple in front of me were ordering soup and sandwich deal.
So when I got to my seat, I just text Tim Horton head office, about it, even mentioning that I still tipped the cashier because the delay wasn't her fault...
The next day, they had two cashiers.........

I wouldn't be surprised, I've honestly heard they are very, very strict with their franchise owners.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I've got access only to chains here. Sorrentino's is the closest thing to a 'local coffee shop', and you're looking at 5 bucks for a latte. I make my good coffees at home. Timmy's is my alternative to gas station coffee.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What are the requirements for reinstating an employee after a medical leave of absence? Honestly, without looking it up first?
I'm drawing a blank off the top of my head.

This is what I'm saying! There is a reason that this is a specialized field, lol.
Oh I know, but if you're in business, you should make it a point to learn the basics.

Not that anything this clown is alleged to have done requires a law degree to know it's just wrong.

A sting from an insect inside a Tim Hortons, while you're on your shift, is a work place accident.

The person who informed the young lady that that was indeed the case, was the young lady that was terminate by a 13 month lay off.

Neither of which requires complicated reasoning or a degree in labour law, to understand.

Will you at least rate it higher than Starbucks?
Old Macdonald's coffee is better than Starbucks.

Well then you're just spoiled then aren't you. ;)
You and SCB keep telling me that!

BTW: SCB makes a superior cup of coffee to Timmy's as well.

I've got access only to chains here. Sorrentino's is the closest thing to a 'local coffee shop', and you're looking at 5 bucks for a latte. I make my good coffees at home. Timmy's is my alternative to gas station coffee.
If you're feeling entrepreneurial, there's a niche market that has a hole that needs filling.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm drawing a blank off the top of my head.

That's kind of my point. And you have a natural interest in the law and legislation.

Oh I know, but if you're in business, you should make it a point to learn the basics.

Not that anything this clown is alleged to have done requires a law degree to know it's just wrong.

A sting from an insect inside a Tim Hortons, while you're on your shift, is a work place accident.

The person who informed the young lady that that was indeed the case, was the young lady that was terminate by a 13 month lay off.

Neither of which requires complicated reasoning or a degree in labour law, to understand.
Oh for sure, the basics, the stuff that comes up all the time, and the common sense stuff as well. Everyone should know it, and if they don't have it on the top of their heads they should find out. (That's usually why I get all the weird questions is when something odd comes up in the workplace. I don't know why they call their accountant with that though, maybe because they figure we do payroll so we would know?)

Old Macdonald's coffee is better than Starbucks.
I will take that as a yes. I know you can't physically type the words, but I appreciate the effort. Lol

You and SCB keep telling me that!
Great minds, yada, yada, yada. ;)

BTW: SCB makes a superior cup of coffee to Timmy's as well.
Homemade is always better.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
In my entire life I've eaten product from Timmy Hos exactly twice-once in Port Alberni and once in Abbotsford neither known as paragons of culinary excellence-IOW I was stuck for brekkie.

I still regret eating both 'meals'.