Air Canada jet performs low-level search for missing boat

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Attaboy.

The Boeing 777 flying from Vancouver to Sydney joined an Air New Zealand Airbus A320 in the initial search for the damaged boat.

Captain Andrew Robertson said the airline was approaching top of descent and talking to air traffic control in Brisbane at 8.18am when it was asked to assist in the search.

The flight crew programmed the coordinates of the stricken yacht into the aircraft's flight computer and determined it was about 160 nautical miles (296km) further out from the coast than the 777 but that the aircraft was enough fuel to reach the location..

"We were at 38,000ft and we just kept going down," said Captain Andrew Robertson. "I knew we would have to get really low and we got down to 5000ft above the water as we approached the area.

"I had already made a PA announcement telling passengers what we were doing and as we got into the area, I said: "We're coming into the search area, please everybody look out to the window and if you seen anything let us know.

As the aircraft executed a right turn back towards to Sydney, the first officer spotted the boat but was unable to see anybody on the deck.

more

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-altitude-search/story-e6frg6nf-1226497683869