Port Coquitlam teen driven to death by cyberbullying

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

FULL VIDEO: Amanda Todd: Struggling, Bullying, Suicide, Self Harm - YouTube

A Vancouver area teen who told a heart-breaking story in a YouTube video of cyberbullying that led to an all-out schoolyard attack has apparently committed suicide. In stories and posts flooding Vancouver's social media networks, #RIPAmanda is trending as people post news and condolences for the teen identified as posting the video, Amanda Todd.Video courtesy: Skybrite, ebaumsworld.com

The mother of a teenager who died Wednesday of suspected suicide wants her daughter’s anti-cyber-bullying video to be used to help other young people.

Fifteen-year-old Amanda Todd was found dead in a Port Coquitlam home at 6 p.m. Wednesday, five weeks after she posted a heartbreaking video on YouTube detailing how she was harassed online and bullied.

“I think the video should be shared and used as an anti-bullying tool. That is what my daughter would have wanted,” Carol Todd, Amanda’s mother, told The Vancouver Sun in a message on Twitter.

more

Port Coquitlam teen driven to death by cyberbullying (with video)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
its too bad that she didn't try blocking the cyber bullies. very sad. :(

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
... seems like grandstanding. just wanted her fifteen minutes of fame ...

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

You bring nothing to this Forum but disgust. You generate this all by yourself. And you do not have the balls to make that statement to a man. Face to face.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Absolutely it was. Because she was a depressed teenage girl. The psychology behind it is scary ****. Even the most well developed adult woman was likely at one point an insecure mess of a teenage girl. Feeling unloved. Unheard. Misunderstood. Alone. Worthless.

They lash out. They cry out. They seek attention. They wish just to have the world see them. She actually talks about that need in at least three spots in that video, and how it contributed to her problems. It put her in the situations it did, and it drove her to her final actions.

You're absolutely right.... and completely off base in your dismissiveness of it.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

Mabye you need the15 minutes of fame, and the only way your stegasaurous brain can think of a way to get that 15 minutes is to belittle this tragedy that has befallen the family of the girl who are probally really upset and emotionally destroyed.

But then again i dont want to bully you anymore for being half retarded so im going to lay off, but i doubt that will prevent you from getting negative rep'd into oblivion....

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
MPs to debate NDP anti-bullying motion
MPs to debate NDP anti-bullying motion - Canada - CBC News

One of Parliament's youngest members is calling on the federal government to show "leadership" and pass an anti-bullying motion he introduced, scheduled for debate in Parliament on Monday, as the RCMP in B.C. investigates the circumstances surrounding the suicide of 15-year-old bullying victim Amanda Todd.

In an interview airing on CBC Radio's The House on Saturday, Dany Morin, a 26-year-old MP from Chicoutimi–Le Fjord, Que. and the NDP critic on LGBT issues, told guest-host Chris Hall members of Parliament must do their part to combat bullying – an issue, he says, has become a "nationwide problem."

"Yes, I was bullied as a teenager," said Morin. "But what struck me as really problematic is that since I got elected a year ago, I had to rise too many times in the House of Commons to note the suicide of a bullied youth."

Todd, a teenager living in Port Coquitlam, B.C., killed herself last Wednesday, weeks after she posted a video on You Tube chronicling the impact years of online bullying and physical assaults at school had on her.

But as Morin points out, Todd's suicide is one among others that have been directly linked to bullying..... (list of recent incidences)

All I know is there needs to be a lot more punishment and consequences implemented for jackwads like these tools who bully and harass others to the point where they feel they're alone and the only option left is to end it all.

Sad thing is, back in my days in school, she looks like she'd be one of the popular ones, as my small town school (small town, small minds) bullied mostly based on superficial reasons.... now it seems these days they'll target anybody for anything..... and not let up.

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Teens these days are savvy enough to know these images can be and will be stolen borrowed or misused. Adults too. Posting nudes, self-shots on photobucket, imgur or whatnot, sharing a video sex session on Omegle or tinychat and having that stolen, copied or simply used is a reality of the internet and the people that look for that sorta thing. It's a community tango out there.

It's not a revelation that people of many ages do these things. Nobody forces them. It's either vanity, peer pressure or some void being filled. Some do it for money. Either way, these confused, perhaps naive internet starlets and stars are more a willing participant rather than the victims they can be made out to be after the fact.

This girl put up several flasher pics (some with a girlfriend too), did the video bit also. Sad that the kids today feel the need to do this crap to be wanted, feel pretty, belong...whatever. Pushed, manipulated, goaded into, 'blackmailed'. A shame her friends and family didn't take notice or do more before it was too late.

I hope the extortioner dude is properly confronted and/or charged if possible. He must also have a black soul and rotted conscience.

Sadly this sure won't be the last instance of hacked media.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I hate the idea of anti-bullying legislation. We already have laws against harassment. And all too often a depressed child will look at anything that excludes them as 'bullying'. We've given kids this 'empowering' notion that no one they go to school with should ever make them feel bad. If they do, then they're a victim. Unfortunately, we're failing to teach them the defining factors, and the tools to cope with the fact that not everyone will like them, especially if they screw up and do something to hurt someone else... because now they're the 'bully' and the school feels justified in attacking them.

Anti-bullying laws before there are clear cut definitions of bullying, and more importantly, clear cut definitions of what ISN'T bullying, would be a terrible thing.

.........................................................................................

Also... and I'm not dismissing the pain of teenagers who take their lives... depression is common, and debilitating. It frequently effects teenagers. Its symptoms often include feelings of exclusion, and paranoia. In a teenager it makes them ripe to amplify any issue they suffer in school. So when a kid commits suicide and says it was 'because of bullying' (I read a recent list lately a friend published on fb of Canadian teens who've committed suicide), it doesn't necessarily reflect what was actually going on as accurately as people seem to think. So to then start a witch hunt and blame classmates for someone else's suicide, someone else's mental illness... that's terrifying.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I hate the idea of anti-bullying legislation. We already have laws against harassment. And all too often a depressed child will look at anything that excludes them as 'bullying'. We've given kids this 'empowering' notion that no one they go to school with should ever make them feel bad. If they do, then they're a victim. Unfortunately, we're failing to teach them the defining factors, and the tools to cope with the fact that not everyone will like them, especially if they screw up and do something to hurt someone else... because now they're the 'bully' and the school feels justified in attacking them.

Good post, Karrie. Adversity, in my mind builds character and strength. We can't deny the "Cyber age" and kids today have to get involved to some extent, as computers ARE the way of the modern world. However I don't think computers and cell phones should be their main focus in life, as with many of them, they seem to be. I know the following statement might make me unpopular (Like I give a sh*t) :lol::lol: but one cure for bullies is for some bigger bruiser to give them a taste of their own medicine. :lol: