Alberta beef and e.coli

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This is a stupid, stupid, stupid area for any government to make cuts in. Food safety inspection is not something to be trifled with. And three weeks to recall/public notification is simply unacceptable.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
More to the point, why is CFIA only giving corrective actions? We have CAPA's at work, and the far more important one after audit findings is the PA, Preventative Actions.

CFIA is getting cutbacks like all the other government departments, and recently the government made it easier for establishments to become registered federally. In other words, more establishments to audit, with fewer resources. If anyone doesn't think that is a recipe for disaster, then they have some serious screws loose.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
More to the point, why is CFIA only giving corrective actions? We have CAPA's at work, and the far more important one after audit findings is the PA, Preventative Actions.

CFIA is getting cutbacks like all the other government departments, and recently the government made it easier for establishments to become registered federally. In other words, more establishments to audit, with fewer resources. If anyone doesn't think that is a recipe for disaster, then they have some serious screws loose.

I don't know a darned thing about food safety aside from the basic at home rules. But I do work with a lot of businesses and business people. Government requirements for reporting and compliance standards can be daunting and overwhelming. If you lighten up on any aspect of any of it, they'll slack off. It's inevitable. It's human nature. This is not to say that safety is unimportant to them and to their businesses, but I can all but guarantee that corners will be cut. And that's just too dangerous of a thing to be cutting corners on.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Was just informed that some back east may not of heard of this.....surprising.

CFIA food safety officer defends timing of decision on beef recall - The Globe and Mail

I am NOT a happy camper. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

I would suggest you cook it extra well...

Didn't they close XL Foods of Grande Prairie. Alberta aafter they found e-coli? I know a few Edmonton folks were effected.

http://www.producer.com/2012/09/cfia-closes-xl-plant-in-alta-over-e-coli-tainted-beef/

This thread, taking about steak is going to make me very hungry.. just can't shake the imagery of a juicy medium well steak and potatoes..

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I would suggest you cook it extra well...

Didn't they close XL Foods of Grande Prairie. Alberta aafter they found e-coli? I know a few Edmonton folks were effected.

CFIA closes XL plant in Alta. over E. coli tainted beef - The Western Producer

This thread, taking about steak is going to make me very hungry.. just can't shake the imagery of a juicy medium well steak and potatoes..

Don't know about Edmonton, but they did close down the plant in Brooks.

I see you're one of those that over cooks their steak and ruins a good cut.;-)

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Here in the east ,those of us not under rocks are pretty well informed.
Last week my cousin bought some meat at Costco in Moncton and when they got home received a call from Costco telling them the meat might be less than healthy.Pretty impresive,I think.
I'd just like to know why we'er eating Alberta beef,we have cows here too.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'd just like to know why we'er eating Alberta beef,we have cows here too.

Why? Because it's cheaper to do it that way. If you want good meat, find a local butcher. Hey, find a local farmer and pay for a cow.

A couple of years ago, I was at a wine tasting, and one of the women was talking about how she'd have to get up early to go to the Dieppe farmers market, 'cause she wanted this organic butter, and it sells out. I told her, simple solution. Talk to the farmer, offer to buy a cow, he keeps the cow and makes the milk and butter, and you get a guaranteed pound of butter a week. She looked at me like I was crazy, but I explained that a lot of farmers will do this - I know people who buy a beef cow, the farmer raises it, they share the meat. Her husband figured it could easily work, and be a good deal for both parties, and I'm pretty sure he was going to talk to the farmer.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Why? Because it's cheaper to do it that way. If you want good meat, find a local butcher. Hey, find a local farmer and pay for a cow.

A couple of years ago, I was at a wine tasting, and one of the women was talking about how she'd have to get up early to go to the Dieppe farmers market, 'cause she wanted this organic butter, and it sells out. I told her, simple solution. Talk to the farmer, offer to buy a cow, he keeps the cow and makes the milk and butter, and you get a guaranteed pound of butter a week. She looked at me like I was crazy, but I explained that a lot of farmers will do this - I know people who buy a beef cow, the farmer raises it, they share the meat. Her husband figured it could easily work, and be a good deal for both parties, and I'm pretty sure he was going to talk to the farmer.

Same out here- I know of a few that get together and split beef and pork. Get what you want, cut the way you want -

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ditto here, I have a lamb, half a pig and cow still walking around. From auction to butcher, less than half the cost of store bought.

Gh, I'm sorry to hear that. I honestly missed that in the news.

In my defense though, I have been busy, you know why, lol.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ditto here, I have a lamb, half a pig and cow still walking around. From auction to butcher, less than half the cost of store bought.

Gh, I'm sorry to hear that. I honestly missed that in the news.

In my defense though, I have been busy, you know why, lol.

How does half a pig walk around? Wouldn't he be hobbling really?

Lol. Sorry, I couldn't resist. :):):)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Wait til he sees the smoker.

Put an eye patch on- Only need one - and lead him on. All the time whispering to him that this way we are going away from the fire.
Then slam goes the door. Very humane way when dealing with half a porker I would say.

Why an eye patch may even be covered by your heatlh plan. Savings galore.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I retrospect, I can see I set myself up, lol.

Or just the really weird way that I look at things, lol

Wait til he sees the smoker.

8O

Put an eye patch on- Only need one - and lead him on. All the time whispering to him that this way we are going away from the fire.
Then slam goes the door. Very humane way when dealing with half a porker I would say.

Why an eye patch may even be covered by your heatlh plan. Savings galore.

That assumes he's been split down the middle, head to tail. He could be split in the midsection, in which case either both eye patches would be needed or neither.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Or just the really weird way that I look at things, lol

8O

That assumes he's been split down the middle, head to tail. He could be split in the midsection, in which case either both eye patches would be needed or neither.

Nope - When you get half a porker no one wants a complete head- not to be confused with giving or recieving head- Thus down the middle - from head to ass. After all he still has to go ya know. Kinda hard to do that when you are cut thru the midsection. I mean really.
Sorry - Not feasable.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Nope - When you get half a porker no one wants a complete head- not to be confued with giving or recieving head- Thus down the middle - from head to ass. After all he still has to go ya know. Kinda hard to do that when you are cut thru the midsection. I mean really.
Sorry - Not feasable.

That's the most logical reasoning of what half of a pig would be walking around as I've ever read.

It's actually the only logical reasoning of what half of a pig would be walking around, but let's not split hares because that's a whole other animal.;)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That's the most logical reasoning of what half of a pig would be walking around as I've ever read.

It's actually the only logical reasoning of what half of a pig would be walking around, but let's not split hares because that's a whole other animal.;)

Thank you. I am sure now it will show in Google search. We are going to be famous.