Graeme Hamilton: Marois’ swearing-in ceremony becomes a sovereigntist farce

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Freshly sworn in as Quebec Premier, Pauline Marois expressed her “firm conviction” that Quebec’s future is as a sovereign country. “A normal country that makes all its laws, decides for itself how to use its taxes and speaks with its own voice in the world,” she said Wednesday.
The problem is her Parti Québécois won just 54 of the National Assembly’s 125 seats on Sept. 4, and the opposition parties have no interest in helping her realize her dream. “What we will do in the context of a minority government is protect every shred of sovereignty already in our hands and acquire new ones,” she promised.
Related

On Wednesday, her determination to assert those shreds of sovereignty descended to the farcical. In an attempt to distance her separatist party from any visible association with the monarchy, cabinet ministers were sworn in by the lieutenant-governor behind closed doors before being introduced at a public ceremony in the Quebec City legislature’s ceremonial chamber.
The Canadian flag that had been on display in that chamber through nine years of Liberal government was placed in storage for the PQ event, as it had been during the swearing-in of the PQ caucus Monday.
Ms. Marois’ joy at becoming Quebec’s first woman premier had to be tempered by the realization that the most meaningful gestures she could summon on the issue dearest to her heart involved swearing oaths in a back room and hiding a flag.
Of course, hobbled as she may be, Ms. Marois was not willing to throw in the towel, and she loaded her cabinet with some heavy tasks.

Alexandre Cloutier, a 35-year-old lawyer, was named Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs and Sovereigntist Governance. Ms. Marois introduced him by saying that “remaining a province of Canada constitutes an unacceptable risk for Quebec.” She instructed him to use “all means necessary” to defend Quebec’s interests and to demand new powers from Ottawa in fields touching language, culture and the economy.
Jean-François Lisée, an adviser to previous PQ premiers who was elected for the first time on Sept. 4, was named Minister of International Relations and External Trade. “What I ask you is to open wide the doors of the world on Quebec,” she said. Mr. Lisée is also minister responsible for Montreal and Ms. Marois told him to pay particular attention to the anglophone community.
“Make them feel that they represent a treasure for all of us and that they are full members of the Quebec nation,” she said.
Maka Kotto, an actor and former Bloc Québécois MP, will also be under instruction to seek more powers, and accompanying budgets, from Ottawa as Minister of Culture. “If there is one field in which all Quebec political parties agree, it is that one,” Ms. Marois said.
With its big projects stymied, the PQ has to fall back on petty but ultimately insignificant gestures
Diane De Courcy, former chairwoman of Montreal’s main school board, becomes Minister of Immigration and Cultural Communities and is also responsible for Quebec’s language law, Bill 101. The PQ had campaigned on a promise to extend Bill 101 to the junior colleges known as CEGEPS, which would prevent francophones and the children of immigrants from attending English-language colleges.
Ms. Marois assigned Ms. De Courcy the job of proposing a new, strengthened Bill 101, but she will hit obstacles when she tries to win opposition support.
Quebec’s demands from Ottawa are not likely to be received any more warmly. On Wednesday, Christian Paradis, Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Quebec lieutenant, signalled that the federal government is not inclined to transfer additional powers to Quebec. “We have no mandate to dismantle the federation, so we’re not going to start improvising on all sorts of fronts,” he said in Ottawa.
The PQ hoped that by provoking battles with Ottawa, it could fuel dissatisfaction with the federation among Quebecers. But with a minority government, the Marois government will be unable to enact one of the tools it hoped to employ — citizen-initiated referendums. The Liberals and Coalition Avenir Quebec oppose the idea, and Ms. Marois did not even mention the referendums in her speech Wednesday. She simply told the new Minister of Democratic Institutions, Bernard Drainville, to “propose mechanisms allowing for increased citizen participation.”
With its big projects stymied, the PQ has to fall back on petty but ultimately insignificant gestures. The Canadian flag may be stashed, the lieutenant governor may be persona non grata, but this is a “sovereigntist government” in Ms. Marois’ imagination only.
National Post with files from The Canadian Press
• Email: ghamilton@nationalpost.com | Twitter: grayhamilton

Pauline Marois’ swearing-in ceremony becomes a sovereigntist farce | Full Comment | National Post

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Take it with a grain of salt. I have been banging the frenchiest chick ever, she never moans in 3D. That said. cut off their transfer payments

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
She wants a sovereign nation with a minority government?

Toss her and her minority on Baffin Island and say "Here's your Country, have fun... don't screw it up or the locals will boot you somewhere else more northerly.... perhaps all the way into Russia and then see how they tolerate your crap."

If Quebec wants to be its own Nation and it's done democratically within Quebec.... and they accept all the ramifications from that (all support and ties cut from Canada & Canada's resources hauled out of Quebec) then all the power to them.... but in a Minority Government?

Get Fk'd ya wanker.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
SO I guess the first thing she will do is demand that the federal government cancel all transfer payments to Quebec. Then demand that all federal government offices get removed from Hull.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
SO I guess the first thing she will do is demand that the federal government cancel all transfer payments to Quebec. Then demand that all federal government offices get removed from Hull.

That and the Montreal Canadiens will have to give up their name.... Which will lead to massive riots through Montreal and the rest of Quebec..... Of course, they'd riot over any excuse that related to the Habs. :p

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Freshly sworn in as Quebec Premier, Pauline Marois expressed her “firm conviction” that Quebec’s future is as a sovereign country. “A normal country that makes all its laws, decides for itself how to use its taxes and speaks with its own voice in the world,” she said Wednesday.

Pauline Marois’ swearing-in ceremony becomes a sovereigntist farce | Full Comment | National Post
Fine by me. I say they should pay off their portion of the nat'l debt, buy Rene-Lavasseur Island from us, and move there. Then strike up trade deals of their own and whatever else normal nations do.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I have been astounded for many years that Quebec's arrogance has been tolerated. More to do with political correctness anymore than actual reason. My favorite comparison is the Cajuns. Americans point to those folks, who are not only allowed to keep their identity but encouraged to, and say.....aren't they great? Their OURS!
Quebec has gone to a point where they do not realize that their very paranoia has alienated them from virtually all other Canadians except those who ascribe to the culture of victim.

That being said, my own travels in Quebec were delightful, particularly in rural areas where i was treated very well indeed. Definitely not the case in Montreal or Quebec city when i strayed outside of the English speaking areas.

I was as disgusted by their attitude towards me as i was by the attitude of low brows towards Quebecers in many parts of the west.
Having lived in military camps when young, i was exposed to the French language at a young age so had a reasonable knowledge of the patois, which was soon perverted by a teacher, the wife of a soldier, she had come from France, and true to military/government stupidity was recruited to teach French in the camp school.:roll:
Outside of that, in the camps, French Canadians and other mixtures like myself got along just fine, but of course, we were ordinary people, unvarnished by so called intellectuals.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Strange how these retarded individuals liken the symbol of the flag to being oppressed when much consideration went into it's very design so as to remove all aspects of Imperialism and the Monarchy solely to placate their widdle feelings. Mumbling the oath is another childish display but they do it anyway as a condition of receiving their salary while sitting MP's.

Symbols of Canada can be found all over the place and it is also very strange they don't mind handling those transfer payments with the very picture of the Queen on some of them; you'd think those would be the very anethma to elicit their feigned repugnance.

Buncha immature, two-faced morons.