Peter Lougheed Dead at 84

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Peter Lougheed was Mr. Alberta.
Nobody was more successful as a politician, more tenacious in defence of the province or more visionary in industrializing and managing Alberta’s resources and potential. Canny, determined and cosmopolitan, he modernized an insular province and made it a player on the national political stage and in the global oil economy.

A Red Tory, he led a socially conservative electorate through boom and bust, and created a political and social legacy that transcended politics. Earlier this year, Policy Options magazine voted him the best Canadian premier of the past 40 years.
He died Thursday in Calgary. He was 84.

more

Peter Lougheed, Mr. Alberta, dies at age 84 - The Globe and Mail

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Peter Lougheed was a true statesman. He cared about his province but he also cared about Canada. RIP, Peter.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
RIP sir. There has never been anyone since that could fill your shoes.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
If memory serves; wasn't he also the man who blurted "let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark" during the bitter conflict with Trudeau over resource ownership.

I could, of course, be wrong.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If memory serves; wasn't he also the man who blurted "let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark" during the bitter conflict with Trudeau over resource ownership.

That was King Ralph I believe.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Was a true Alberta man who told eastern Canada to "let them freeze in the dark"

Peter took care of the people of Alberta.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Was a true Alberta man who told eastern Canada to "let them freeze in the dark"

Peter took care of the people of Alberta.

"Ontario versus Alberta? East versus West? Last week’s oil sands comments by Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty harkened back to the national energy debate in the 1980s, when Calgary mayor Ralph Klein said: “Let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark.”

Making the oil sands personal - The Globe and Mail

Peter Lougheed cared about his family, his province and Canada. You may attribute many things to Mr Lougheed, but small-minded comments will never be among them. Above all, Peter Lougheed was a gentleman who treated everyone with the same courtesy and attention that he would a member of his family.

You are.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
"Ontario versus Alberta? East versus West? Last week’s oil sands comments by Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty harkened back to the national energy debate in the 1980s, when Calgary mayor Ralph Klein said: “Let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark.”

Making the oil sands personal - The Globe and Mail

Peter Lougheed cared about his family, his province and Canada. You may attribute many things to Mr Lougheed, but small-minded comments will never be among them. Above all, Peter Lougheed was a gentleman who treated everyone with the same courtesy and attention that he would a member of his family.

You are.

I stand corrected; it was Ralph Klein who made the small minded comment, not Mr Lougheed

Thank you.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
All the flags are at Half Staff here in Alberta.. has anyone notice the same in other Provinces??

When a former premier dies? Yes, we do it here (NB). Not when a former premier of another province dies, though. I don't think Alberta flies flags at half staff when one of our former premiers dies. It's a provincial thing.