PM Stephen Harper's statement on 11th Anniversary of 911

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement on the 11thanniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States and the second annual National Day of Service:

“September 11, 2001, was a day that shocked the world. More than a decade later, the horrific images from that terrible morning continue to evoke anger and heartache.

“As we remember the nearly 3,000 innocent people – including 24 Canadians – who were killed, and mourn with the countless others who lost loved ones, we also honour the incredible acts of courage and sacrifice of those who responded to the calls for help of those in need. From the police officers, firefighters, and emergency personnel who risked or gave their lives to help others, to the small community in Gander, Newfoundland, which welcomed thousands of diverted air passengers into their homes, Canadians and Americans alike demonstrated unwavering resolve and compassion in the face of adversity.

“While the grotesque events of 9/11 remind us that we are not impervious to the threat of terrorism and that we must remain vigilant, they also remind us of the power and resilience of the human spirit and of the feats that we can accomplish together.

“This is why our Government last year declared September 11 as a National Day of Service – a day for Canadians to reflect upon the past and to honour all of our country’s heroes, including first responders and members of the Canadian Armed Forces, who give so much of themselves for their fellow citizens.

“On this occasion, it is my hope that all Canadians will be inspired to once again show their friends, family and neighbours, the same warmth and compassion to which we were witness on this tragic day 11 years ago.”

http://www.conservative.ca/?p=2128

Emphasis mine.........and I concur.

GroundWater

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2008
Gibbons
I wasn't alive when JFK or Martin Luther King were assisinated, I do remember when Elvis died and when John Lennon was shot but, on Sept 11 2001 I was at home helping my wife after she got out of the hospital after having our first son, he was born on Sept 7. I was on my way to the store to get milk for coffee and was listening to the radio after the first plane hit and could sense from the DJ's voices that this was no accident, when I got home I turned on the TV to witness the second plane hit in real time and knew that things would never be the same.

It was a sad day, I remember wondering if bringing a child into this world was the right thing to do.

Not trying to derail your thread, just saying.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I wasn't alive when JFK or Martin Luther King were assisinated, I do remember when Elvis died and when John Lennon was shot but, on Sept 11 2001 I was at home helping my wife after she got out of the hospital after having our first son, he was born on Sept 7. I was on my way to the store to get milk for coffee and was listening to the radio after the first plane hit and could sense from the DJ's voices that this was no accident, when I got home I turned on the TV to witness the second plane hit in real time and knew that things would never be the same.

This is our generations 'Where were you when', that's for sure.

It was a sad day, I remember wondering if bringing a child into this world was the right thing to do.

This actually occurred on my daughter's tenth birthday, so that thought kind of hits home for me.

It's hard stuffing them back in.

Walter remember, if you're not with us, then you're with the terrorists.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I was in a logging camp on Northern Vancouver Island watching events unfold in the cookhouse. We went to work that day wondering if the rest of the world would still exist when we came in.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It took all this time to get them to stop whining about Pearl Harbour and now we suffer this
hero worship, of the past. Yes it was a terrible event agreed and it deserves to be remembered
in some way but the amount of TV coverage and papers and on and on it goes.
This does not compare with DDay or the Bomb that fell on Japan, and we finally got past that.
I remember JFK, being shot, I remember Martin and Bobby departing as well all were on active
duty and changing the world. The people who changed the world on 9/11 were the Arabs.
We half heartedly responded first by attacking Afghanistan, and letting more of them into North
America.
This nation and our neighbours don't understand yet we are in an ideological conflict that has
only just begun. Sad to say it was round one. Iraq was round two, acts three and four were
the Arab Spring. Its where the young people fought for freedom and the Muslim Brotherhood
hijacked the agenda. Round five is the question of Iran. If we get into war with Iran we will be
in a total war within a year. Its a repeat of the events of the Second World War, Chamberlain
had the white paper of peace that led to world war within six months.
In the midst of all this some paper makes Harper the Statesman of the year what a bloody joke.
Harper is a wimpy little guy in leather and he can't wait for Stampede Week so he can display
his leathers. Give me a break.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It took all this time to get them to stop whining about Pearl Harbour and now we suffer this
hero worship, of the past. Yes it was a terrible event agreed and it deserves to be remembered
This does not compare with DDay or the Bomb that fell on Japan, and we finally got past that.
I remember JFK, being shot, I remember Martin and Bobby departing as well all were on active
duty and changing the world. The people who changed the world on 9/11 were the Arabs.
We half heartedly responded first by attacking Afghanistan, and letting more of them into North
America.
This nation and our neighbours don't understand yet we are in an ideological conflict that has
only just begun. Sad to say it was round one. Iraq was round two, acts three and four were
the Arab Spring. Its where the young people fought for freedom and the Muslim Brotherhood
hijacked the agenda. Round five is the question of Iran. If we get into war with Iran we will be
in a total war within a year. Its a repeat of the events of the Second World War, Chamberlain
In the midst of all this some paper makes Harper the Statesman of the year what a bloody joke.
Harper is a wimpy little guy in leather and he can't wait for Stampede Week so he can display

As Adrian Cronauer said...You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history. :lol:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

People have been saying that for thousands of years. One of my grandmothers said that about her children because of the Cold War. Well, Im glad she had her kids as one of them was my father. The world is not a perfect place. No child has ever been born into a perfect world. I doubt any child ever will be. When you get down to it though, life is pretty good for most of us in this part of the world. Its worth living.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
America.

No worries DG. You are free to forget. We'll remember them for you each and every year as we did yesterday.

Go about your business.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
No worries DG. You are free to forget. We'll remember them for you each and every year as we did yesterday.

Yes we will, Eagle. We will remember that people from many countries died in the attack that day. What I remember is the tremendous amount of love and support shown to the American people in the days following the attacks. Hundreds of churches here in Canada held special services. People gathered to light candles and pray for all those affected by the tragedy. The Red Cross was inundated with calls asking what people could do. The heartfelt caring that was shown following the horror of that day is what remains with me to this day.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Yes we will, Eagle. We will remember that people from many countries died in the attack that day. What I remember is the tremendous amount of love and support shown to the American people in the days following the attacks. Hundreds of churches here in Canada held special services. People gathered to light candles and pray for all those affected by the tragedy. The Red Cross was inundated with calls asking what people could do. The heartfelt caring that was shown following the horror of that day is what remains with me to this day.

I will remember all that too. Sad that people like DG want us to just get over it... including the Canadians that were killed that day. We will not forget them.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We sometimes remember the dead at the expense of the living. No one will remember the innocent dead. All that will be erased by the carnage to come, made possible by the cynical exploitation of the selected victims. They were sacrificed for evil purpose far removed from the time and the place. Only now we begin to see that purpose unfold in crippling economies and permanent global war conducted on the billions of innocent for the benefit of the filthy few Lords of This World.