B.C. pole dancing class for kids causes controversy

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So if circque de soleil does it with a ribbon, it's fine. But if a kid does it on a pole, it's dirty?

And how does it truly differ from the assorted gymnastics disciplines? Balance beam, uneven bars, pommel horse, floor routines.

If you've caught many jazz dance classes, I don't see a huge difference, aside from a more muscular workout.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Dude, you're on a discussion board. Expect discussion. If yuo're gonna whine every time someone disagrees with you, stop posting.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
holy ****... remind me to start quoting when I reply to you. King of the edit.

But as I was saying.... what's the real difference from other gymnastic events/classes? The article clearly states that the class focusses on grips and spins and has removed the sexual moves. So, if the only similarity to stripping is the presence of a vertical pole, what makes it wrong? Is it the pole that turns men on? I always thought they were there for the women and the nudity. I know it's why I've gone in the past. The pole does nothing for me without a stripper on it.

I'd also like to underscore my point by encouraging people to google 'gymnastics' images, and thinking for five seconds about what makes that 'ok' for little kids, but spinning on a pole wrong.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
From seeing some girls/women on AFV many don't seen to have enough strength in the arms,they all most of the time fall flat on their faces or back. :lol:

Yeah, when doing sports people tend to get hurt sometimes, especially when building up strength. Gymnastics bloopers are brutal to watch. Skateboarding bloopers. Generally, any bloopers show will show you the worst of every sport. But, that doesn't change the fact that it can also be phenomenal.

Best Pole Dancer Ever - Jenyne Butterfly. [VIDEO] | Most Watched Today | The Best Online Videos

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
holy ****... remind me to start quoting when I reply to you. King of the edit.

But as I was saying.... what's the real difference from other gymnastic events/classes? The article clearly states that the class focusses on grips and spins and has removed the sexual moves. So, if the only similarity to stripping is the presence of a vertical pole, what makes it wrong? Is it the pole that turns men on? I always thought they were there for the women and the nudity. I know it's why I've gone in the past. The pole does nothing for me without a stripper on it.

I'd also like to underscore my point by encouraging people to google 'gymnastics' images, and thinking for five seconds about what makes that 'ok' for little kids, but spinning on a pole wrong.

I'm a fence sitter on this issue and you made many valid points. But maybe you can clarify something for me Karrie.

If parents put their children into gymnastics hoping their children grow up to be gymnasts, what do parents who put their children in pole dancing hope their children grow up to be?

That said, I support the right of adults to earn a living by stripping. I just wouldn't encourage my children to pursue that career. I would not put them in Pole Dancing lessons and instead encourage them to take up another activity. However if they were insistent, I'd relent, because any physical activity beats playing video games and watching TV, even pole dancing.

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
but... it's dancing. Humans will never be able to seperate dancing from sex effectively.
It's all about associations.
Is there anything inherently sexual about pole dancing (leave Freud out of this)? Probably not.
But when the origin of pole dancing is from strippers, it's something to be aware of.

Similarly, is there anything inherently wrong about serving grits, fried chicken, watermelon and collard greens to your black friend for dinner? No. But should you be aware of past associations, and therefore avoid such a dinner medley? Without a doubt.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
The single most difficult task i had as a parent was to accept the consequences of saying no to children, and depending on the age, proving my position. Those consequences being the normal resentment they will carry, often until until they mature.
Teaching begins at age zero so if a parent finally says no at age, pick one, 3,4, 5,.....10,11, they have already lost and failed the child.
Even worse if they use the child as a proxy for their own desperation for recognition.

My daughters thanked me sincerely by the time they were late teens but in the interim i took a lot of heat. I raised children, i did not get towed along with them. Yes i was a single Dad for most of their formative years, it was the best and worst time of my life. The past several years i have been pleased to be consulted regarding the antics of my teenage grand daughters. My advice is given sparingly, more like, you know what to do my dear daughter, but broken with the occasional "how do you like me now?";-)

IMO, pole dancing is irrevocably tied to sex in the real world and any child over about age 10 ish knows this. Not so gymnastics.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I find it strange how people try to resolve their ideas that Children Are Innocent with the fact that Kids Are Cruel.

It makes me sad to live in a world where it is acceptable to train children on how to kill people in the cadets, but training them on how to dance in a provocative fashion is considered to be a great crime. Even if you argue self defense... is it so much more acceptable to teach your children that people will try to harm them than to teach them that people will try to love them?

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I find it strange how people try to resolve their ideas that Children Are Innocent with the fact that Kids Are Cruel.

It makes me sad to live in a world where it is acceptable to train children on how to kill people in the cadets, but training them on how to dance in a provocative fashion is considered to be a great crime. Even if you argue self defense... is it so much more acceptable to teach your children that people will try to harm them than to teach them that people will try to love them?

Wanting or trying to F**k them is not necessarily loving them. Teaching them none will try to harm them is a fail?
The first part of your statement begs the question of your attitude, both towards pre pubescent females and females in general. Attempting to be disingenuous can backfire and out you.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
...what do parents who put their children in pole dancing hope their children grow up to be?
... any physical activity beats playing video games and watching TV, even pole dancing.

And right there, you've answered your own question. I have NEVER put my kids into a single physical activity hoping to mould them into something specific. That would be, in my mind, insanity. Put them into an assortment of activities so that they learn, simply, to be an active person.

Pole dancing is no exception to that.

IMO, pole dancing is irrevocably tied to sex in the real world and any child over about age 10 ish knows this. Not so gymnastics.

I have to disagree. My grandma sent me that video of the pole dancer I posted earlier. I've gone to pole dancing competitions to cheer on friends, and sat next to their proud kids to do so. I've seen my neices do flag stands on their gym equipment, and nothing about it was 'sexy'.... it was athletic and freaking impressive. There is nothing irrevocable about it.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Well some parents push their kids in something the kids do not want to do,some hope the kid become a sport star,so they could live in luxury,the millions they think he'll make,others push their kids "girls" in these child beauty contest,again same reason,they do not see a kid,they see dollar signs on legs.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yeah, when doing sports people tend to get hurt sometimes, especially when building up strength. Gymnastics bloopers are brutal to watch. Skateboarding bloopers. Generally, any bloopers show will show you the worst of every sport. But, that doesn't change the fact that it can also be phenomenal.

Best Pole Dancer Ever - Jenyne Butterfly. [VIDEO] | Most Watched Today | The Best Online Videos

I remember a few years ago how that girl had broken her leg while performing Gymnastics in the Olympics. I think she stuck it out and finished her routine to a standing ovation. I cannot recall her name, but I do know that she was American.