Yosemite rangers in triage mode after hantavirus outbreak

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The park has received thousands of calls since six cases of the rodent-borne disease were traced to Yosemite. Officials are answering questions and sending letters to those who may have been infected.

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK — The phones in the administrative building here are constantly ringing. Half a dozen rangers answer the calls:

"You were here just this last weekend?"
"Do you remember the area the cabin was in?"
"I understand your fear. I would have the same level of anxiety."

Responding to questions about a recent outbreak of hantavirus linked to the park, the rangers rattle off information about the rodent-borne disease. Calendars, news articles and park maps cover their tables. In front of each phone sits a notepad where rangers tally the number of calls received.

Paul Ollig, the park's deputy chief of interpretation, said that as of Saturday afternoon, the number was in the thousands. The emergency phone line opened Tuesday.

"We're getting calls from worldwide," Ollig said. "A lot of them from California, but we're getting calls from the U.K., we're getting calls from France, from China.... We haven't really seen much of a lull at all."

more

Yosemite rangers in triage mode after hantavirus outbreak - latimes.com

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
One bit of news leaking out now is that some Park seasonal employees may have the Virus too. They were sent home and told "don't tell anyone anything." No surprise to me. The double wall canvas solution just gives the Rodents better camoflage.