Pot-smoking driver in Saskatoon deemed not impaired

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Judge says ability to walk heel-to-toe not related to ability to drive

A woman who admitted to using marijuana before getting into her car has been acquitted of impaired driving, with the Saskatoon judge saying he was not convinced her ability to operate a vehicle was affected.

The case, recently published to an online legal database, concerned the arrest of a woman on June 19, 2011, who was pulled over during a routine traffic enforcement program.

According to the judge, the officer directed her to pull over even though she was driving appropriately and in her proper lane of travel.

Unlike drunk driving cases, where .08 per cent is the legal limit for a person's blood-alcohol level, there's no equivalent for marijuana-impaired driving. Instead, officers must rely on a lengthy list of tests to establish impairment.

In the Saskatoon case, when the officer went to the woman's car, he detected what was described as an "overwhelming odour of marijuana."

He decided to investigate further and learned from the woman that she had smoked some marijuana earlier in the evening.

With that, the officer decided to have the woman perform a number of roadside tests, including walking heel-to-toe and touching the tip of her nose with her finger.

Missed her nose

"She was only successful in touching her nose on one of six attempts," the judge noted in his decision. "On the other five attempts, she touched her face right under her nose."

The officer noted that the woman had reddened eyes, something consistent with marijuana use.

A urine sample was also taken and confirmed that the woman had used marijuana.

However, the judge was not convinced there was any evidence that the woman's driving ability was impaired.

In his decision, the judge said he was left with several unanswered questions, including:
  1. What signs of impairment would one expect to see in someone who has been using marijuana?
  2. How long after using marijuana would you expect to see these signs and how long would they last?
  3. Can the results of drug evaluation tests taken over 1½ hours after the time of driving be reliably related back to the time the woman was stopped?
  4. Was the woman's performance in some of the tests an indication of poor balance or poor co-ordination?
On the other hand, the judge found there was plenty of evidence to suggest the woman was not impaired, noting:
  1. The officer did not observe any problems with her driving as she came to the check stop, when she was directed into the check stop or when she was directed to drive out of the line of cars to a nearby parking lot.
  2. She had no problems understanding the officer or answering his questions and did not slur her speech.
  3. She was able to provide him with her licence without any problems and had no difficulty following the officer's instructions or getting out of her vehicle.
  4. When he asked her to take her hand off her vehicle and step away from it, she did so without problem. She did not have to hold on to anyone or anything for balance and after he handcuffed her, she had no problems walking to his police car and getting into the back seat.
  5. She was polite and co-operative with the officer.
The judge added he was not sure how the finger-to-nose test and the walking heel-to-toe test related to one's ability to drive a car.

"I would have appreciated some evidence as to how these observations related to the accused’s ability to drive a motor vehicle," the judge said.

Ultimately, the judge said he was left with reasonable doubt on the charge and the woman was acquitted.

The prosecutor on the case told CBC News that Crown lawyers were still deciding whether to appeal.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Dude, yeah whatever.

Anything that distracts, texting, phones, reading, shaving, putting on make up, hand jobs...whatever ya got going on. If you're sleepy stoned, mellow stoned, lmfao stoned, if it affects your attention and reactions, I say send them to Ellesmere Island Pen (that's gonna be in the arctic for anyone that hasn't been to the arctic) for the duration.

Be stoned at home, on a park bench, in the woods, a boat on a river, a bridge by a fountain, a train in a station, but fer gawds sake use your grown-up person common senses.

The rest, off with their heads.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
A police officer stops a guy driving drunk,he asks him to do the usual impaired driving tests,which he fail miserably,the officer tells him "you are so drunk you can't walk strait",to which the guy replies "I know thats why i was driving?"

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Dude, yeah whatever.

Anything that distracts, texting, phones, reading, shaving, putting on make up, hand jobs...whatever ya got going on. If you're sleepy stoned, mellow stoned, lmfao stoned, if it affects your attention and reactions, I say send them to Ellesmere Island Pen (that's gonna be in the arctic for anyone that hasn't been to the arctic) for the duration.

Be stoned at home, on a park bench, in the woods, a boat on a river, a bridge by a fountain, a train in a station, but fer gawds sake use your grown-up person common senses.

Maybe the woman was a cop?

I don't drive while high. Why kill a good buzz dealing with allegedly sober idots who can't figure out a four way stop

spero

Sep 1, 2012
Dude, yeah whatever.

Seriously!!! Wow!!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A police officer stops a guy driving drunk,he asks him to do the usual impaired driving tests,which he fail miserably,the officer tells him "you are so drunk you can't walk strait",to which the guy replies "I know thats why i was driving?"

In a discussion about impaired driving. Not funny at all.

This reinforces the fact that the law needs to get caught up when it comes to impaired driving. For too long we have concentrated on alcohol only. It's past time to get up to date and come up with some definitive testing for drug impairment.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Dude, yeah whatever.

Who says she was still under the effects of the pot? The urine test is no evidence because the effects can wear off psychologically long before they disappear from urine. And some people are just plain generally uncoordinated all the time.
Like the article said, she appeared to be able to drive well enough, follow instructions well enough, and the only indication that she MIGHT have been impaired was the smell of pot in her car. That smell can stick around for days.

You like kangaroo courts a lot, don't you?

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
In a discussion about impaired driving. Not funny at all.

This reinforces the fact that the law needs to get caught up when it comes to impaired driving. For too long we have concentrated on alcohol only. It's past time to get up to date and come up with some definitive testing for drug impairment.
The law is not severe enough,we know some do not care,and continue to drive after drinking,plus some of them have been caught at least 20 times,and they are still allowed to have a car,and get the drivers liscence.

Shouldn't there be a 3 strikes and you're out forver for them?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Who says she was still under the effects of the pot? The urine test is no evidence because the effects can wear off psychologically long before they disappear from urine. And some people are just plain generally uncoordinated all the time.
Like the article said, she appeared to be able to drive well enough, follow instructions well enough, and the only indication that she MIGHT have been impaired was the smell of pot in her car. That smell can stick around for days.

If you can't touch your own damn nose more than once out of six tries, you are not only impaired, you are ****ing bombed.

Nothing drives me crazier than people who would never drink and drive but think nothing of sparking up on the road.

And I know lots of them.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The law is not severe enough,we know some do not care,and continue to drive after drinking,plus some of them have been caught at least 20 times,and they are still allowed to have a car,and get the drivers liscence.

Shouldn't there be a 3 strikes and you're out forver for them?

and yet, you make a joke of it. :roll:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Seriously!!! Wow!!

And then...then, we really get serious on these guys. You watch. We'll get 'em all man.

Arctic. Ha! They'll wish they were in the arctic. That's way up north for those who have never been.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If you can't touch your own damn nose more than once out of six tries, you are not only impaired, you are ****ing bombed.
Your opinion.

Nothing drives me crazier than people who would never drink and drive but think nothing of sparking up on the road.

And I know lots of them.
Congrats. The fact remains that the woman could operate her car well enough to follow the cop's instructions. Another fact for you; the judge didn't find sufficient evidence in court.

And then...then, we really get serious on these guys. You watch. We'll get 'em all man.

Arctic. Ha! They'll wish they were in the arctic. That's way up north for those who have never been.
lol.

Another fact,; I'd rather follow a pot smoker around that's trying to concentrate on their driving than some ditz gabbin on their phone, stuffing their lunch into their face, gazing around the countryside, pondering some problem at work or at home, having a gabfest in their car with their passengers, or a variety of other things.