N.J. supermarket gunman kills two before committing suicide

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
An armour-clad gunman opened fire at a New Jersey supermarket Friday morning, killing two people before turning the gun on himself, U.S. media reports.

At least three people are dead after the early-morning shooting at the Pathmark shopping centre in Old Bridge, N.J.

WABC reports a man in his 20s entered the building at about 4 a.m. when clerks were stocking shelves in preparation for the store to open at 6 a.m. He shot two employees dead and then killed himself, the station says.

Reports suggest he may have been a current or former Pathmark employee.

Police have remained tight-lipped, so far. It's unclear whether anyone else was killed or harmed.

SWAT teams have set up a command post at a nearby restaurant, NBC reports.

NJ Transit's Old Bridge Park & Ride is closed during the investigation.

N.J. supermarket gunman kills two before committing suicide | World | News | Toronto Sun

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
If they are that hell-bent on killing themselves, I wish that they wouldn't take anyone else with them. If someone is depressed and they take their own life, I can feel sympathy towards them, but for the ones that go the murder/suicide route or the ones that go for the suicide by cop route I will NEVER feel any sympathy for.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If they are that hell-bent on killing themselves, I wish that they wouldn't take anyone else with them. If someone is depressed and they take their own life, I can feel sympathy towards them, but for the ones that go the murder/suicide route or the ones that go for the suicide by cop route I will NEVER feel any sympathy for.

Agreed. Though I can potentially feel some sympathy for the suicide by cop if no one else is harmed. I imagine its easier to do that than to actively put a gun to your own head.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Agreed. Though I can potentially feel some sympathy for the suicide by cop if no one else is harmed. I imagine its easier to do that than to actively put a gun to your own head.

I don't, and the reason for that is that they made it so a cop had to kill them. And the cop will be feeling horrible enough as it is, but once he (or she) finds out that the person wasn't going to actually kill anyone they just wanted a cop to kill them? It will make that police officer feel that much worse.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't, and the reason for that is that they made it so a cop had to kill them. And the cop will be feeling horrible enough as it is, but once he (or she) finds out that the person wasn't going to actually kill anyone they just wanted a cop to kill them? It will make that police officer feel that much worse.

Possibly. Depends on the situation. Having been suicidal at one point I'm of the opinion that its possible that people are not in control of themselves at times like that. I know I made an attempt and have no memory of it. I feared for months that something like that may happen again and that I might succeed. Fortunately it hasnt happened.

Not quite the same situation but my father 'killed' a 13 year old while driving his train. Nothing he could have done to prevent it but the kid had chosen that method as a form of suicide. It had a powerful effect on him and Im not sure that he ever got over it. In some cases there's not much you can do.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Possibly. Depends on the situation. Having been suicidal at one point I'm of the opinion that its possible that people are not in control of themselves at times like that. I know I made an attempt and have no memory of it. I feared for months that something like that may happen again and that I might succeed. Fortunately it hasnt happened.

Not quite the same situation but my father 'killed' a 13 year old while driving his train. Nothing he could have done to prevent it but the kid had chosen that method as a form of suicide. It had a powerful effect on him and Im not sure that he ever got over it. In some cases there's not much you can do.

I know what you are saying, but having a father that was a police officer, I'm just glad that he was never put in that situation in the first place.

And I hope that you'll be okay as well.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

There is a world of difference between feeling sympathy for them and empathizing with them. We have to be able to empathize before we can understand and prevent, in my opinion. Empathizing leads to a greater understanding. I can empathize with how they feel about whatever is wrong in their life that leads them to that place, but I don't sympathize with the actions/behaviour they undertake at the end. It's like the woman who jumped off the overpass with her kid, can totally understand and empathize with whatever crappy things went on in her life that made her feel so desperate that she didn't want to continue, but absolutely cannot sympathize or empathize with her decision (and it was a decision) to take her child with her when she tried to kill herself. Same situation with suicide by cop in my opinion.

That's good that it hasn't happened again, I sincerely hope that it won't, or if those 'impulses' do ever rear their head you will talk to someone about it. Sincerely.

Like a survivor's guilt, we feel a sense of responsibility for being in any way involved. I would imagine that anyone left behind after a friend or loved one has committed suicide would feel that way. It'll always be "What could I have done?"

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Steve Martin comedy sucks. But he plays a mean banjo.

Far as the OP, probably happens once a day in N. America. Glad the perp shot himself. Very sad that he took two others along.