100-year-old driver hits 11 people near L.A. school

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
100-year-old driver hits 11 people near L.A. school
By QMI Agency

A man just shy of his 101st birthday backed his Cadillac up on the sidewalk and hit 11 people, including nine children, near a South Los Angeles, Calif., elementary school Wednesday afternoon.
Four people were taken to hospital in critical condition. Four children were pulled from underneath the car, witnesses told local station KCAL9. They are all expected to survive.
Preston Carter, the driver, was apologetic when interviewed by reporters on scene after the crash.
"I'm really sorry about that. I wouldn't do that for nothing on earth," he told KCAL9. He said his brakes failed.
Police said the man has a valid driver's licence.

100-year-old driver hits 11 people near L.A. school - World - Canoe.ca

Wow! 100 years old and he's still driving a car! Not well mind you, but still driving!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I wonder if there is an age where it should be considered to be too old to drive(just due to the slowing down of reflexes and other mitigating factors). My late grandfather was like that. He always said he was still good to drive(even though we knew better), at least he said that until he ended up in a ditch. That is when he said "Hmmmm. Maybe you guys are right.". After that, he gave up his license. I know that it is a source of pride for most people (I know I'd feel inadequate if I couldn't drive anymore, as I like being able to drive wherever I want).

That being said, I am just thankful that everyone will survive in this case. That doesn't always happen(two young girls were killed in Chatham a few years ago when an elderly woman hit the gas instead of the brake and the girls ended up being smashed through a store-front window. They were young teenagers as well. A very sad situation for everyone involved. :( ).

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I wonder if there is an age where it should be considered to be too old to drive(just due to the slowing down of reflexes and other mitigating factors). My late grandfather was like that. He always said he was still good to drive(even though we knew better), at least he said that until he ended up in a ditch. That is when he said "Hmmmm. Maybe you guys are right.". After that, he gave up his license. I know that it is a source of pride for most people (I know I'd feel inadequate if I couldn't drive anymore, as I like being able to drive wherever I want).

That being said, I am just thankful that everyone will survive in this case. That doesn't always happen(two young girls were killed in Chatham a few years ago when an elderly woman hit the gas instead of the brake and the girls ended up being smashed through a store-front window. They were young teenagers as well. A very sad situation for everyone involved. :( ).

I think it's astounding to still be alive at 100, let alone running people over!

But it could have been much worse! I would think they should at least do testing at regular intervals when you reach a certain age.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I think it's astounding to still be alive at 100, let alone running people over!

But it could have been much worse! I would think they should at least do testing at regular intervals when you reach a certain age.

I believe they do. I'm not certain of the exact age nor how often they get tested, but they have to have regular testing once they reach a certain age.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

It is so different for most everyone, I've seen much younger people drive very stupidly, doing similar things
that some very old people do, but they continue to drive, it is scary when one thinks about how many drivers
are on the road that are a hazard, and if they were all rounded up, the minority would be real old.

A friend of ours had his licence taken away at the age of 92, his driving was fine, his health was fine,
but he had an incident, (just once) where he pulled over because he forgot where he was, a cop talked
to him, and that was the end of his driving, he was very upset, and quite lost without his licence,
but I guess it was time.
I'm not going to forget what happened to him, and if that ever happens to me later on, I will fake it,
and make up a different story, as he should have done. lol

"Oh hello officer, just parking for a few minutes, i'm early for my flying lesson, so thought I
would wait here a bit"

Not sure how to approach this situation, and I know that the elderly are tested more often and more
strictly, and doctors reports are necessary most times after a certain age, and if they would do that with many much younger people who are a hazard it would certainly
help.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is so different for most everyone, I've seen much younger people drive very stupidly, doing similar things
that some very old people do, but they continue to drive, it is scary when one thinks about how many drivers
are on the road that are a hazard, and if they were all rounded up, the minority would be real old.

A friend of ours had his licence taken away at the age of 92, his driving was fine, his health was fine,
but he had an incident, (just once) where he pulled over because he forgot where he was, a cop talked
to him, and that was the end of his driving, he was very upset, and quite lost without his licence,
but I guess it was time.
I'm not going to forget what happened to him, and if that ever happens to me later on, I will fake it,
and make up a different story, as he should have done. lol

"Oh hello officer, just parking for a few minutes, i'm early for my flying lesson, so thought I
would wait here a bit"

Not sure how to approach this situation, and I know that the elderly are tested more often and more
strictly, and doctors reports are necessary most times after a certain age, and if they would do that with many much younger people who are a hazard it would certainly
help.

Actually I saw that guy on the news tonight, to me he looked about 75 at the most.

You're a hoot! :lol:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Just think his first vehicle was probably this