NYC Softens Public School 'Discipline Code'...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
To Ease Penalties For Smoking, Cursing, Cutting Class

Students may be catching a break if they misbehave in school. The rules surrounding suspensions in New York City schools are changing.

The changes to the discipline code should result in far fewer suspensions, CBS 2’s Vanessa Murdock reported Wednesday.

“Our goal is to make sure the schools are providing a safe environment for our students, but also we just don’t push students out of the classroom where they’re not learning as well,” Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott said.

What will be different? Well, for starters Walcott said cutting class and cursing will no longer be grounds for suspension.

more children are our future

NYC Public Schools Change ‘Discipline Code’ To Ease Penalties For Smoking, Cursing, Other Infractions « CBS New York

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Suspensions dont do anything anyway. I was suspended once and enjoyed the day off. As I should have. I didnt do anything wrong to get suspended. Once of those cases of in the wrong place at the wrong time. The teacher decided to suspend everyone near by. They didnt even tell me about it til the next day when I showed up at school not knowing I had been suspended.

An in school suspension may work better.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
They need to go back to corpral punishment. Skip school and get some more days off? REWARD! Curse and get a slap on the head, you may think twice.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
To Ease Penalties For Smoking, Cursing, Cutting Class

Students may be catching a break if they misbehave in school. The rules surrounding suspensions in New York City schools are changing.

The changes to the discipline code should result in far fewer suspensions, CBS 2’s Vanessa Murdock reported Wednesday.

“Our goal is to make sure the schools are providing a safe environment for our students, but also we just don’t push students out of the classroom where they’re not learning as well,” Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott said.

What will be different? Well, for starters Walcott said cutting class and cursing will no longer be grounds for suspension.

more children are our future

NYC Public Schools Change ‘Discipline Code’ To Ease Penalties For Smoking, Cursing, Other Infractions « CBS New York

Yes, we must be sure we don't annoy the dear little darlings or hurt their feelings! :lol::lol:

Which states still use corporal punishment?

The ones with the best behaved kids! :lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The opposite seems to be true if you look at the states that do still have it and compare them with the other states.

But you might also want to check the criteria for "good behaviour" of each state! :lol:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If you are absent most days, your behaviour in class is not bad.

No, but your behaviour wherever you are is probably not good either. Kids who skip a lot and dont graduate high school are far more likely to become criminals. It'd be better if they're at school and maybe stress a teacher or two for a few years rather than going on to commit a crime and wind up in jail.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No, but your behaviour wherever you are is probably not good either. Kids who skip a lot and dont graduate high school are far more likely to become criminals. It'd be better if they're at school and maybe stress a teacher or two for a few years rather than going on to commit a crime and wind up in jail.

When we went to school we didn't stress the teachers, were just very careful to ensure the teachers didn't "stress" us. It worked out good that way in those days. "The tail just didn't wag the dog". :lol:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
When we went to school we didn't stress the teachers, were just very careful to ensure the teachers didn't "stress" us. It worked out good that way in those days. "The tail just didn't wag the dog". :lol:

Oh I imagine you still stressed them on occasion. Its impossible to be around 30 kids and not get stressed at some point. Even with well behaved ones. It goes with the territory of being in charge.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh I imagine you still stressed them on occasion. Its impossible to be around 30 kids and not get stressed at some point. Even with well behaved ones. It goes with the territory of being in charge.

Well, I did get my face slapped in grade one for pasting stickers on upside down. That taught me not to do that! Today the teacher would end up in jail and that would teach her not to slap the brat! :lol: