Bear Kill Hiker

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
In 1958, while hiking in Colorado near Steamboat Springs (I was working in Steamboat Springs at the time), I came around a bend in a trail and suddenly was about 15 feet from a mother bear with a cub. I dropped to the ground, and didn't move until she and her cubs had moved away. I was VERY lucky she didn't attack me.

Bears are in most of the mountain areas of the USA and Canada, and you have to be prepared for them. You can't outrun them, and you damn sure can't fight them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In 1958, while hiking in Colorado near Steamboat Springs (I was working in Steamboat Springs at the time), I came around a bend in a trail and suddenly was about 15 feet from a mother bear with a cub. I dropped to the ground, and didn't move until she and her cubs had moved away. I was VERY lucky she didn't attack me.

Bears are in most of the mountain areas of the USA and Canada, and you have to be prepared for them. You can't outrun them, and you damn sure can't fight them.

It's a good idea when walking in the bush to whistle a tune and NOT some of this modern sh*t that might just piss them off! :smile:

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
I think it f**Ks up their vision and respiratory system temporarily while you get the hell out of there! :lol:

Would still be useless to run away.
A: the bear can smell your track
and
B: He'll catch you faster than you think.....unless you have a jetpack to get the puck away. :lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Would still be useless to run away.
A: the bear can smell your track
and
B: He'll catch you faster than you think.....unless you have a jetpack to get the puck away. :lol:

I think if you have 100 yards head start you have time to figure something out! :lol:

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
LOL what proof do we have that spray will repell a bear,it will most likely piss him off.

The proof you have is enough people in this world telling you to bring and use it because it might have worked for them in the past. And they still market the **** to work. Its like the water proof paper i know of, they wouldnt have it on the shelfs marketted as something important if it didnt work in the first place. Of course this depends on where you habituate yourself, im not going to pull a heavy and have "I was there moment".

It does f%$&* them up but only for a short time so make tracks and do it in fashion. If you frequent an area with alot of maced bears then bring a gun!!!! :lol:...

And then theres another thing make sure you hit the bear in the right spot'cause gun or mace if your not using it right your going get bear handled.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
The proof you have is enough people in this world telling you to bring and use it because it might have worked for them in the past. And they still market the **** to work. Its like the water proof paper i know of, they wouldnt have it on the shelfs marketted as something important if it didnt work in the first place. Of course this depends on where you habituate yourself, im not going to pull a heavy and have "I was there moment".

It does f%$&* them up but only for a short time so make tracks and do it in fashion. If you frequent an area with alot of maced bears then bring a gun!!!! :lol:...

And then theres another thing make sure you hit the bear in the right spot'cause gun or mace if your not using it right your going get bear handled.
Like doing that?
a man kick a bear in the balls - YouTube
;-)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I think it f**Ks up their vision and respiratory system temporarily while you get the hell out of there! :lol:
GBears don't see well to begin with. But they do have excellent hearing and senses of smell.
Concerning the effects on their respiratory systems, they can sneeze and if it annoys them enough, they just get more destructive.

Grizzly bear kills hiker in Denali National Park - Yahoo! News
When will they learn,its not a freaking teddy bear,or Yogi bear,these bears wont cuddle up with them or steal the picnic basket,they'll eat anything that gets in their view.
http://www.darwinawards.com/

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.