Ex-trucker learns to read at age 73

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ex-trucker learns to read at age 73

By Jean-Luc Doumont, QMI Agency

ALMA, Que. - When former truck driver Gabriel Lavoie finally learned to read and write at age 73, choosing his first real-life writing task was a no-brainer.
The native of Alma, Que., north of Quebec City, created a thank you card for the daughter who had pointed him to a literacy class that helped him overcome his lifelong disability.
Lavoie drove trucks for 20 years without understanding warning signs or even the names of cities and towns that he visited for deliveries.
He had travelled countless kilometres and eaten in untold numbers of restaurants without being able to read the menu.
"In a restaurant, the waitress told me what was on the menu," Lavoie said. "I always ordered the special of the day, to avoid reading the menu. I ate the same thing twice a day so people wouldn't discover that I was illiterate."
Behind the wheel of his rig, Lavoie used a keen sense of direction to get around.

"I have a good memory," he said. "I memorized some houses or monuments to keep my bearings. When I saw that I was lost somewhere, I followed the other trucks."
Last Christmas, his daughter, aware her father couldn't read or write, offered him a gift that would change his life.
"She gave me a gift card to come to the Alma Reading and Writing Centre. I'm in my fourth session with them," he said.
He still can't function at an advanced level, and he was forced to learn to write with his left hand because of an old head injury that paralyzed his right side. But that didn't stop Lavoie's first act of gratitude -- sending a card to his daughter.
"I wanted to prove to her that I could send her a message of love to thank her for giving me this gift," he said.
Lavoie hopes his story will motivate other Canadians in his situation.
As many as 20% of Canadian adults are functionally illiterate.

CANOE -- CNEWS - Good News: Ex-trucker learns to read at age 73

Good for him for overcoming his disability. It's too bad that shame over what other people might think could make someone stay quiet, suffer, and prevent themselves from getting help.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
How many others like him there are,back when he was a kid,french quebecers apparently thought learning to read or write was a waste of time,stay on the farm help dad milk the cows,you don't need that to work bla bla bla.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Good for him for overcoming his disability. It's too bad that shame over what other people might think could make someone stay quiet, suffer, and prevent themselves from getting help.

People are very judgemental. If a person isn't married by a certain age, doesn't own a house by a certain age, still can't drive after a certain age, etc. judgements come in. I could immagine it being emotionally paralysing for some.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Good on the guy in the O.P. Reading opens up another world for him.
I read, everyday, and would have a less rich life if I didn't as I enjoy it
so much. Happy that another can now share that joy too.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How many others like him there are,back when he was a kid,french quebecers apparently thought learning to read or write was a waste of time,stay on the farm help dad milk the cows,you don't need that to work bla bla bla.

Not just French Quebers, that's a common story of small, back woods communities all over the country. And it wasn't all that long ago either.

People are very judgemental. If a person isn't married by a certain age, doesn't own a house by a certain age, still can't drive after a certain age, etc. judgements come in. I could immagine it being emotionally paralysing for some.

We all judge others to some extent, it's part of human nature. But I draw the line at anything that would put up an obstacle to other people enjoying their lives. In fact, I find that rather infuriating.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
anyone notice that he stated in the story that he had to learn to write with his left because the right was paralyzed. Yet in the pic, he has the pen in his right hand. Just sayin.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
anyone notice that he stated in the story that he had to learn to write with his left because the right was paralyzed. Yet in the pic, he has the pen in his right hand. Just sayin.

Good catch. I missed that. Maybe it's a stock photo? I usually only copy the photo in the article if I believe it's part of the story, often I don't bother if looks like a stock photo they stick in there to fill space. Seems like an odd article to have a stock photo with though.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
My father was in the Laubach Literacy group, teaching adults to read, for years. One guy wanted to learn so that he could read to his kids. My favorite was the guy who needed to learn to read so that he could take and pass his drivers license. What do you do for a living? I drive a pulp truck, he said...

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Good on the guy for doing it.:)

For myself, I can't imagine not being able to enjoy all the books I've read throughout my life. So many adventures that would never have occurred!:(