Teen girl escapes after 2 years in captivity

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Teen girl escapes after 2 years in captivity
U.S. woman held kept locked away, police say

By QMI Agency

Police say a teen reported missing more than two years ago escaped from a southwestern Illinois home this week, saying she'd had a baby after she was raped by her captor who kept her locked away.
The 19-year-old woman escaped from the dumpy Washington Park residence Monday with the help of a relative and police raided the home Thursday. The woman's two-year-old son was removed from the home and police arrested a 24-year-old man and his mother, reports The Associated Press. No charges have yet been laid.
Police said the woman told them she was repeatedly sexually assaulted and beaten.
The teen was originally from St. Louis and it appears she new her captor.
Neighbours they didn't notice anything unusual, reports WGN News.

Teen girl escapes after 2 years in captivity - World - Canoe.ca

You know, you hear these stories cropping up every now and again. It always makes me wonder how many "missing and presumed" dead 'runaways" may be out there, trapped and living a hellish existence.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Unreal. It'd be nice if poetic justice prevailed and descended upon the assahole and his mother.

Yeah, this time it's not just the fleabag creep but the fleabag creep mother as well.

It still makes me wonder how many other young women, and some young men, may be out there. Gone missing, presumed to have run away or died, but they're trapped.

Or maybe it's just that when I hear of someone getting away, while their life has been a torment, it kind of gives me hope for all the parents out there with missing children.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yeah, this time it's not just the fleabag creep but the fleabag creep mother as well.

It still makes me wonder how many other young women, and some young men, may be out there. Gone missing, presumed to have run away or died, but they're trapped.

Or maybe it's just that when I hear of someone getting away, while their life has been a torment, it kind of gives me hope for all the parents out there with missing children.
Fersher.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The real question here... is how much do you really know about your neighbor.. 8O ;-)

ha. Nothing. Even when I was a kid. Many neighbours didnt believe my mother had a son because they never saw me. I only used the back door.

Now I live in a high rise apartment. Not the best place to hold a kidnapped hostage I would imagine. All I know about my neighbours is that one plays the guitar and someone upstairs plays piano.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
ha. Nothing. Even when I was a kid. Many neighbours didnt believe my mother had a son because they never saw me. I only used the back door.

Now I live in a high rise apartment. Not the best place to hold a kidnapped hostage I would imagine. All I know about my neighbours is that one plays the guitar and someone upstairs plays piano.

Wasn't the fellow that was held captive and tortured mercilessly in Calgary(or was it Edmonton) held in an apartment? If that is the case, it just shows that one can be kept pretty much anywhere and others won't know about it.8O

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wasn't the fellow that was held captive and tortured mercilessly in Calgary(or was it Edmonton) held in an apartment? If that is the case, it just shows that one can be kept pretty much anywhere and others won't know about it.8O

Regina actually, about 10 blocks from where I'm sitting, & yeah...in an apartment.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Regina actually, about 10 blocks from where I'm sitting, & yeah...in an apartment.

If I recall correctly at least one of the neighbours complained about the noise to the landlord but the police were never called. Which I'm sure also happens quite frequently in cases of domestic violence as well. Nobody wants to get involved, they don't want to know "too much".

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Well, it's common enough in humanity that we actually have built in psychological mechanisms to adapt to the situation. That speaks a lot to how forcible partnership has played into the history of human evolution.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Well, it's common enough in humanity that we actually have built in psychological mechanisms to adapt to the situation. That speaks a lot to how forcible partnership has played into the history of human evolution.

you saying some people actually like being dominated?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

No, that's not what she said.

Prime example is warfare during the middle ages. Taking female prisoners as slaves and taking them as wives and concubines.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I agree with that but what these incidents make me wonder is how many parents with children that have gone missing may actually be out there alive, even if they are confined by their captors. I guess in a roundabout way, it kind of gives me a kind of hope, even though it would mean that these missing kids have been abused and tormented for the time they were missing, if you know what I mean.

Some people do but she's speaking of the adaptability of people, psychologically speaking, for survival. Stockholm Syndrome would be an example of one way.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I agree with that but what these incidents make me wonder is how many parents with children that have gone missing may actually be out there alive, even if they are confined by their captors. I guess in a roundabout way, it kind of gives me a kind of hope, even though it would mean that these missing kids have been abused and tormented for the time they were missing, if you know what I mean.

Some people do but she's speaking of the adaptability of people, psychologically speaking, for survival. Stockholm Syndrome would be an example of one way.

I shudder to think how many women are currently victims of the human sex-rings that are prevalent in the news today, started by those huge human trafficking rings.:(

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Well....while some people like consensual domination, no, I'm not saying some people enjoy being abducted. What I said is that there are psychological mechanisms (Stockholm syndrome) in humans that help them adapt and even 'conform' to that kind of situation.