'Top Gun' Director Tony Scott jumps to his death

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
"Top Gun" director Tony Scott fatally jumped off the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro on Sunday afternoon, according to Los Angeles police sources.

His body was pulled out of the water by Los Angeles Police Department, California Highway Patrol and U.S. Coast Guard officials.

[For the record, 9:48 p.m. Aug. 19: An earlier version of this post incorrectly said a suicide note was found in Scott's car, which was parked on the bridge. In fact, the note found in his car listed contact information. Investigators later found a suicide note at his office.]

Law enforcement sources said several witnesses saw Scott, the brother of director Ridley Scott, climb over a fence on the bridge and jump off.

The coroner's office identified him Sunday evening.

Scott was a respected action-movie director who also made "Enemy of the State," "Beverly Hills Cop II" and "Crimson Tide."

'Top Gun' director Tony Scott dead after jumping off bridge - latimes.com

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It just shows that fame and fortune can't really do too much to help against depression, and that it can affect anyone.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Scott.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
That's kind of shocking.. a successful and well respected Hollywood director... I'm not sure if there was some turmoil in his personal life.. or some organic mental issue.

I was a big fan of his brother Ridley's work.. who achieved a 'cult' following, after Blade Runner and the 1984 Mac Intro Commercial.. and other dark, atmospheric films.. Tony always worked somewhat in his shadow. RIP.

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Tony Scott, Top Gun director, commits suicide at 68

Tony Scott, the British film director behind Hollywood blockbusters including "Top Gun," has committed suicide at the age of 68 by jumping from a bridge.

He jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge over Los Angeles Harbour in California.

According to a coroner's report he was said to have left his car, climbed an 8ft fence, and then gone off the side of the suspension bridge into the water below.

Scott jumped at about 12.30pm on Sunday and his body was recovered by police and the US Coast Guard two hours later.

A note listing contact information was found inside his Toyota Prius. A suicide note was later found at his office. Its contents have not been revealed.

Lieutenant Joe Bale, of the Los Angeles Coroner's office, said there was no immediate evidence that Scott's death was anything other than a suicide. He said an autopsy had not yet been performed.

The bridge, is 185ft (56 meters) above the water and connects the port district of San Pedro at the southern tip of Los Angeles to Terminal Island in the harbour.

Scott, who was born in North Shields, in Northumberland, was the younger brother of Ridley Scott, the director of Blade Runner and Alien.

Top Gun, released in 1986, made a star of Tom Cruise, and Tony Scott later directed Cruise and Nicole Kidman in the car racing film Days of Thunder.

His other films included True Romance and Enemy of the State. He directed Denzel Washington in several films including Unstoppable in 2010.

The Scott brothers had recently finished making a television medical thriller called Coma. The two brothers ran Scott Free Productions and were working jointly on a film called Killing Lincoln.

Tony Scott lived in Beverly Hills. A spokesman for his family said: "I can confirm that Mr Scott has indeed passed away. The family asks that their privacy be respected at this time."

Tributes were expected to pour in as news of his death emerged. Director Ron Howard said: "No more Tony Scott movies. Tragic day."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...tt-Top-Gun-director-commits-suicide-at-68.htm

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
BOOMer, there was already a thread about his death, so I merged your thread with the older one.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
BOOMer, there was already a thread about his death, so I merged your thread with the older one.

friggen Locutus, should just scan his posts first. lol

He went out in true Top Gun fashion.. I wonder if he broke the sound barrier speed on the way down.. or maybe had an "oh sh!t moment", "this was a bad idea?"

Guess he should have had a Red Bull before jumping..

I hear it gives you wings!!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It makes me wonder if the brain cancer itself caused him to commit suicide. By this, I mean his personality could have been affected by it.

no more drugs

Electoral Member
Jan 21, 2013
"The report ruled that the official cause of death was multiple blunt force injuries and drowning.
But it also showed that therapeutic levels of the anti-depressant mirtazapine (Remeron).........

Tony Scott Anti-Depressants: Prescription Drugs Found In 'Top Gun' Director's System

"depression and/or the emergence of suicidal ideation and behaviour can occur..."

www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/datasheet/a/apo-mirtazapinetab.pdf

"The L.A. county coroner today confirms that director Tony Scott was not suffering, as some early news reports suggested, from brain cancer — or any other serious underlying medical condition — "

http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/tony-scotts-toxicology-results-are-in.html

"Tony Scott’s wife told investigators that the widely circulated rumour that he had inoperable brain cancer is incorrect."

Tony Scott did not have inoperable brain cancer, family says | Toronto Star

"The report ruled that the official cause of death was multiple blunt force injuries and drowning.
But it also showed that therapeutic levels of the anti-depressant mirtazapine (Remeron).........

Tony Scott Anti-Depressants: Prescription Drugs Found In 'Top Gun' Director's System

"depression and/or the emergence of suicidal ideation and behaviour can occur..."

www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/datasheet/a/apo-mirtazapinetab.pdf

"The L.A. county coroner today confirms that director Tony Scott was not suffering, as some early news reports suggested, from brain cancer — or any other serious underlying medical condition — "

Tony Scott

"Tony Scott’s wife told investigators that the widely circulated rumour that he had inoperable brain cancer is incorrect."

Tony Scott did not have inoperable brain cancer, family says | Toronto Star

no more drugs

Electoral Member
Jan 21, 2013
Blunt force trauma and then drowned.... Ouch thats a ****ty way to go...

It sure is...

and to think he was taking an antidepressant...

of course we know they have the adverse reactions of SUICIAL ideation...

Sounds like legal mind altering drugs side affects got the best of him..Very sad!.