Canadian shoppers irk Costco customers in Bellingham, Wash.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Boycott Bellingham, bitching about Canadian shoppers.. now they want Canadian Free Costco!!!

[youtube]QyCZTVapOnM[/youtube]

That’s the message residents of Bellingham, Wash., have for Canadians who have been pouring across the B.C. border to shop for bargains at the local Costco.

A Facebook page called “Bellingham Costco needs a special time just for Americans,” has drawn local and international attention, garnering more than 3,000 likes and hundreds of comments since being created July 19.

Whether it was started in earnest or as an inside joke by a few Bellingham residents, as claimed by one poster pleading for peace, it’s managed to raise hackles on both sides of the border.

Canadians are being admonished on the Facebook page for littering, bad parking, cutting off other drivers, pushing past other customers to grab merchandise and clearing Costco shelves of milk.

“It’s not Costco, it’s everywhere!!! I feel like I’m in Canada anytime I drive anywhere in Bellingham. I wouldn’t have a problem if they were considerate people ... but they are the rudest people I’ve ever encountered,” according to poster Julie Lawson.

It’s that kind of ire that inspired Todd Smith, 25, of Coquitlam B.C., to launch his own Facebook page: “Canadians invade Bellingham Costco,” inviting Canadians to shop the Bellingham Costco on Saturday, Aug. 18.

Smith says he and his partner make the half-hour drive across the border weekly, not only because gas, food and clothes are cheaper in the U.S., but because stores there offer greater variety. About a dozen people have said they’re interested in the shop-the-Bellingham-Costco event.

“It’s a bit tongue-in-cheek, but we do go down there quite regularly and we might go down Saturday,” said Smith. “I find it kind of odd that these people would take such trivial things out of context. Have they not stopped to consider that we’re supporting their economy?”

Many of the posters to the Facebook page leapt to the defence of Canadian shoppers. “I want to apologize on behalf of Bellingham for this page,” wrote a poster identified as Ali Taysi. “Your shopping provides invaluable tax revenue for our community.”

The administrator of the site did not respond to an email request for an interview.

On June 1, duty-free limits for Canadian shoppers in the U.S. were raised to $200 from $50 for a 24-hour stay and $800 for visits longer than 48 hours.

A BMO report in May predicted that cross-border shopping would boom as a result, particularly in border states.

Statistics Canada figures on travel and net expenditures abroad have not yet been released for the period, so it’s too early to say what impact the changes to duty free have had so far, said BMO deputy chief economist Douglas Porter Tuesday.

Matthew Davison, a spokesman for the Peace Bridge, said traffic volume was up 2 per cent in June, and is up a total of 1.3 per cent for the year to date. But traffic was down in July over July 2011.

Davison said traffic at the border is driven more by events and currency changes than it is by changes in duty-free limits.

source: Canadian shoppers irk Costco customers in Bellingham, Wash. - thestar.com

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
With all that Milk being digested, sh!tting bricks is probably not a problem. :lol: More like the Hershey Squirts.
Did you watch it again?

The part that I caught, that I find extremely funny, is very noticeable. AND a common complaint I've heard around here.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Did you watch it again?

The part that I caught, that I find extremely funny, is very noticeable. AND a common complaint I've heard around here.

Yes I noticed that.. but what are they wearing again.. turbins?? That is what I saw in the farmers fields in Abbotsford.

I think Bellingham as the rest of the USA is afraid of a brown people invasion, from the south.. and now the north. LoL

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yes I noticed that.. but what are they wearing again.. turbins?? That is what I saw in the farmers fields in Abbotsford.

I think Bellingham as the rest of the USA is afraid of a brown invasion, from the south.. and now the north. LoL

Turbans are a fact of life in the Fraser Valley. I don't blame them for going for the best deal. If it wasn't so expensive to get off this rock I would as well.
But it does kind of make you wonder why you should shop locally when a short drive can make so much difference in your monthly expenses. WE need to have a serious look at our whole structure if a a staple product can be so much cheaper 10 miles away.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Seems some understand they need Canadian shoppers, however 3000 have decided they are not so happy with the daily invasion. I think we should give them a month off.. just Boycott Bellingham for 1 month.. see how the stores, shops and business people feel about the loss of Canadian business.. and as they lay off "American" workers.. see who is crying.

The only reason Bellingham is on the map is because of Canada.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Seems to me, some people from Bellingham, are upset with a specific group of Canadian citizens, that have a recognized culture of being rude and pushy.

I really do hate it when people perpetuate their stereotypes.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Seems some understand they need Canadian shoppers, however 3000 have decided they are not so happy with the daily invasion. I think we should give them a month off.. just Boycott Bellingham for 1 month.. see how the stores, shops and business people feel about the loss of Canadian business.. and as they lay off "Ametican" workers.. see who is crying.

The only reason Bellingham is on the map is because of Canada.

I'm sure the vast majority do understand that it is more beneficial to their community than not, I think they are just frustrated with the congestion. I don't blame them for that, the roadways, the parking lots, the stores themselves were not designed for this volume, it must be incredibly frustrating.

I wouldn't take 3,000 starting up a FaceBook page as indicative of anything, people start up FaceBook pages when they stub their toes.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
The US dairy industry has been in trouble for a long while, bankruptcy common because of the depressed prices. You do not see bankruptcy in the Canadian dairy industry unless it relates to stupidity. We subsidize the industry heavily and control supply management.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Canada needs to start charging a Head Tax for people leaving the country to shop in the USA.

This takes away from the Canadian economy, effects our taxes, unemployment rates. This should be discouraged.

As i said earlier,canadians would not need to go to the US if the items were sold at the same price,since many items made here,are sold at a lower price in the US,while we get screwed.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It should be lower,cause from the manufacturers to the stores,there is less time on the roads for truckers.

The problem is, most of the products we buy are made in China, shipped to mega ports, sich as Long Beach, CA then transported to US dispribution centers and shipped up to Canada and various other US distribution centers..

Also, our minimum wage and standard if living is higher in Canada to the USA so cost if goods are offset in the stores.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Something I noticed about the video, she referred to "these people" not Canadians..

She is clearly referring to East Indians. In Canada they are also really rude, so Bellingham welcome to our living hell... lol

"You would think you in were Canada" I would suggest the next time she visits Canada she get's out of the Vancouver Lower Mainland, drives east to Alberta..

http://m.facebook.com/pages/Belling...00765&refsrc=http://www.google.ca/search&_rdr