Construction worker impaled by metal rod through his head survives trauma

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Construction worker impaled by metal rod through his head survives trauma

QMI Agency

First posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 01:13 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, August 17, 2012 03:00 PM EDT

A combination picture shows the tomography examination of the mason Eduardo Leite in Rio de Janeiro August 17, 2012. Leite, survived on Wednesday after being pierced through his skull by a 2-metre rod while working. After five hours of surgery, his condition stabilised, according to the hospital board. REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes

A 24-year-old construction worker is alive after a two-metre iron bar pierced his head at a construction site south of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Wednesday, local media report.
Eduardo Leite had five hours of surgery to remove the metal rod and is lucid and talking normally, doctors say.
Leite was kneeling on the ground floor when the bar fell from the fifth floor of the building, pierced his helmet, went through the top of his head and exited between his eyes.
He was still conscious and talking as firefighters sawed through the bar and took him to hospital with a half-metre of the rod still left in his head.
The head of neurosurgery at Miguel Couto Municipal Hospital said the bar pierced through the front part of Leite's brain between the area that co-ordinates behaviour and emotions and the region that controls movement.
If the bar had been one centimetre further back, Leite could have been paralyzed, or two centimetres to the right, he would have lost an eye, Ruy Monteiro told the Globo TV Network.
Leite will need a further evaluation to determine whether he'll suffer any cognitive, memory or emotional problems, added neurosurgeon Nilton Lara Jr.
For the next two weeks he'll be fed antibiotics intravenously to reduce the risk of infection, doctors said.

Construction worker impaled by metal rod through his head survives trauma | Weird | News | Toronto Sun

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Unreal! "Still conscious and talking to fire fighters", can you imagine being cognitively aware of something like that happening to you?8O

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
He must have had major amounts of dopamine coursing through his body. Imagine the hangover from that. You'd have a splitting head ache.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I would go bat **** insane if that ever happened to me.

He will probably have some mental issues in the future, due to the damage done to the brain itself. Whether that will be migraines, mood changes, or something else(or maybe he'll not have any discernable effects at all...hopefully). He is lucky to be alive, though. It's amazing how certain trauma that looks like there is NO chance of survival ends up being survivable!8O

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Years ago in Ripley's Believe it or not there was a case of a guy whose head was impaled by a piece of pipe. Rather than trying to remove it they just cut it off flush on both sides and he carried on that way-:)

I would go bat **** insane if that ever happened to me.

Yeah, it could tend to spoil a person's day! :smile:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Years ago in Ripley's Believe it or not there was a case of a guy whose head was impaled by a piece of pipe. Rather than trying to remove it they just cut it off flush on both sides and he carried on that way-:)

Yeah, it could tend to spoil a person's day! :smile:

Wouldn't the pipe end up killing him once it became rusty?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A few years back there was a plane crash where several people got impaled on the same piece of pipe. I believe all survived. Rescue workers had to cut the pipe between each person before they could be moved.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A few years back there was a plane crash where several people got impaled on the same piece of pipe. I believe all survived. Rescue workers had to cut the pipe between each person before they could be moved.

I think they called them the Kabobs!

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

I think they called them the Kabobs!

sheesh/SHēSH/

Exclamation: Used to express disbelief or exasperation.

sheesh kabobs

;)