Ecuador's decision on asylum

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ecuador grants asylum to WikiLeaks founder Assange

Ecuador grants asylum to WikiLeaks founder Assange - The Globe and Mail

Ecuador decided Thursday to grant political asylum to Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks founder who sought refuge in the country’s embassy in Britain to avert extradition to Sweden.

“The Ecuador government, loyal to its tradition to protect those who seek refuge with us at our diplomatic missions, has decided to grant diplomatic asylum to Mr. Assange,” Ecuadoran Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino said at a news conference.

Ecuador Grants Political Asylum to WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange | World | TIME.com

Ecuador says it is granting political asylum to WiliLeaks founder Julian Assange two months after he took refuge in its London embassy to avoid extradition to Sweden to face questioning for alleged sexual misconduct.

Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino says Ecuador found that Assange faces a real threat of political persecution including the threat of extradition to the United States, where Patino said the Australian would not get a fair trial and could face the death penalty.

In the two months since Julian Assange ducked into Ecuador’s London embassy to seek political asylum, President Correa has been consistently deferential to Britain while insisting on his right to protect what he sees as a free speech advocate facing persecution.

Asked earlier this week if he felt solidarity with the WikiLeaks founder, Ecuador’s leftist president told a TV interviewer “of course, but we also feel solidarity for England and for English and international law.”

The decision on Assange’s petition, which his government said it would announce Thursday, would come only after careful scrutiny of the law and consultations with the governments involved, Correa insisted. And after London’s Olympics fest was over.

On Wednesday, the cordiality ended.

(MORE: Why Is Ecuador Julian Assange’s Choice for Asylum?)

Read more: Ecuador Grants Political Asylum to WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange | World | TIME.com

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I was surprised that the UK threatened to enter the embassy to retrieve him, that would cause a MAJOR diplomatic event.
UK passed a law in 78 for these cases- But embassies - consulates- as such are sacred ground- I do not see the UK storming the Embassy- But i do see them preventing Assange an easy pass and out of the country.

London had warned Ecuador in writing earlier in the day that a 1987 British law permits it to revoke the diplomatic status of a building if the foreign power occupying it “ceases to use land for the purposes of its mission or exclusively for the purposes of a consular post.” Its Foreign Office said later in statement that it is Britain’s “obligation to extradite Mr. Assange.”

Read more: http://world.time.com/2012/08/15/britain-warns-ecuador-over-assange-asylum/#ixzz23ijrR3mZ

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Anyone know what he is ACTUALLY guilty of?

He was not convicted of anything- The Judges rule on is there enough evidence to justify a trial- Is there a legal system in place where he would receive a fair trial.
The Swedes presented evidence that supported their request to have him extradited. Then he would go to trial.
Just because a person is extradited does not mean they will be found guilty at trial.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It saves the West face from having a prominent political prisoner.

I wonder about the Afghans that by releasing information identified them to the Taliban. I wonder how they would look at him.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wonder about the Afghans that by releasing information identified them to the Taliban. I wonder how they would look at him.
No differently than a newspaper who or Crown Prosecutor who releases info on a confidential informant of a Canadian helping to fight crime.

We put our own at risk just the same.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No differently than a newspaper who or Crown Prosecutor who releases info on a confidential informant of a Canadian helping to fight crime.

We put our own at risk just the same.

Most CI's have legal protections- And that information is rarely released.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The solution is simple, really.

Who cares about Ecuador?

Declare their diplomats and foreign embassy staff persona non grata in Britain. They have to leave. Assange has no diplomatic status, the second he leaves the embassy, he is subject to arrest. If he doesn't leave the embassy, let him starve there.

Simple..

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
the second he leaves the embassy, he is subject to arrest. If he doesn't leave the embassy, let him starve there.

Simple..

Would this not be the case already anyway? Even with asylum he'd have to leave the embassy to get to some form of transportation out of the UK.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes.