Auto Workers up for contract????

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Auto Workers up for contract????

Next time we bailout the Fukers- The Union should be on the hook as well as the companies- It cost Billions.

Battle lines drawn in auto labour fight - The Globe and Mail

The future of 20,000 of the best-paying jobs in Canada’s battered manufacturing centre is on the line as the Canadian Auto Workers union seeks to reverse concessions that helped keep auto makers afloat during the recession, while the companies insist labour costs must be cut at what they say are the most expensive plants in the world.

The CAW’s effort to increase wages that have been frozen since 2008 and to restore vacations and other benefits comes amid a strong comeback by the Detroit Three from the crisis that sent two of them into bankruptcy protection and led to the elimination of tens of thousands of jobs in Canada and the United States.

Four years later, the companies have “no ethical or economic right to demand more concessions,” Mr. Lewenza declared. “Our members have to make some progress in this round. They have to receive some recognition for the sacrifices they have made.”

But GM needs to cut hourly labour costs, said a person familiar with the talks.

“In a highly competitive global marketplace, we can’t sit still as the rest of the world races forward, particularly with rising commodity prices, a higher Canadian dollar and other cost pressures,” the source said.

All three companies are profitable, and their sales have been robust amid the North American recovery – with the exception of GM Canada’s sales, which have fallen this year while the overall Canadian market has improved.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I predict robotics or hecho en México

Robotics are already growing - I believe IBM is one of many that is relocating back to the US- Chinese labor costs are not relevant-

CAW needs to be 'more flexible,' expert warns - Canada - CBC News

I think if the CAW pushes too hard, we're going to see no new investment in Ontario from the Detroit 3," University of Windsor professor and auto industry expert Tony Faria told CBC News. "If they can work out a deal that is more satisfactory to both sides then I think there's a chance we can get investment here and retain, and maybe grow some jobs."

The Canadian Auto Workers union is looking for a guaranteed increase in wages and cost of living allowances over the life of the contract. The companies want the union to accept the same deal their counterparts in the U.S. received — no pay rate or cost of living increase. Instead, the Detroit 3 want the union to agree to profit sharing, meaning their increase in pay for that year would depend on the automaker's profits.

Autoworkers at the top of the pay scale get around $34 an hour — $40 if benefits are included.

"I think the CAW has got to be more flexible in their negotiations," Faria said. "They've got to think more in terms of what they need to do to retain jobs in Canada."

The union made a number of concessions, including to wages, vacation time and cost-of-living payments, to help the ailing automakers during the 2008-09 recession.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think it's the mediocrity UAW encourages that makes Toyota look like a better deal anyhow.

They pay the same- benefits are about the same- but deadwood moves on. One problem with unions-

Good companies and good unions have a symbiotic relationship- It is in everyone's best interest to send parasites that inhibit that relationship on their way.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
We 'bailed out' GM (and, despite what some claim, the money has not been paid back, and late estimates are that the US gov't is losing something like $25 billion on the deal), so that they could expand in China.

That's the Romney ideal, too, so don't expect things to change any time soon.