Alberta man in custody after bylaw officer dies

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Alberta man in custody after bylaw officer dies - Calgary - CBC News

A southern Alberta bylaw officer is dead and a man who lives near the community of Priddis has been taken into police custody.

Former Mountie Rod Lazenby was dropped off at a southeast Calgary police station in his own SUV on Friday morning. He was taken to hospital in critical condition, but was pronounced dead on arrival.

The bylaw enforcement officer was driven to the District 8 station by a "person of interest," who turned himself in to police, according to RCMP. That man is in custody, but no charges have been laid.

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

The Foothills District peace officer was one of two bylaw enforcement officers for the area. The officers have authority to enforce certain laws and regulations.

RCMP officers are conducting an investigation at an acreage two kilometres north of Priddis, which they are calling a protected crime scene.

A neighbour told CBC News that the man in custody and were known to one another. The man in custody, who lives on the property near Priddis, owns several dogs, which he keeps in a Quonset hut, that have been the subject of complaints from neighbours.

The neighbour said officials have removed dogs from the property in the past.

Alberta Solicitor General Jonathan Denis released a statement Friday afternoon offering condolences to Lazenby's family, friends and colleagues.

"Tragedies such as this remind us all of the selfless acts peace and police officers make to protect our safety each and every day," said Denis.

"On behalf of all Albertans, I want to recognize Mr. Lazenby for his service and assure his loved ones that his sacrifice will never be forgotten."

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We do not know the circumstances as to what may or may not have happened so
I for one would reserve comment.. Does anyone know what happened?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
We do not know the circumstances as to what may or may not have happened so
I for one would reserve comment.. Does anyone know what happened?
No one does - I just posted it as it is developing.

Just reported on Global- Officer was beaten - Died en-route to Hospital.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The owner of the house the guy rents from said that he had 30 dogs there and the peace officers have been called in to the residence in the past according to 660 cfr radio in Calgary.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The owner of the house the guy rents from said that he had 30 dogs there and the peace officers have been called in to the residence in the past according to 660 cfr radio in Calgary.

Who would think a By Law Officer would be beaten so bad he would die.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Who would think a By Law Officer would be beaten so bad he would die.
When we first got glorified dogcatchers in our town they got beaten on a regular basis by dog owners and last weekend at home another one got beat real bad after he went after some kids,he started swinging his baton and they threw it in the river,next came the maglight and that also got tossed,a homeowner heard the commotion and probably saved the guys life.

At one time our bylaw officers were petitioning to carry guns.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
When we first got glorified dogcatchers in our town they got beaten on a regular basis by dog owners and last weekend at home another one got beat real bad after he went after some kids,he started swinging his baton and they threw it in the river,next came the maglight and that also got tossed,a homeowner heard the commotion and probably saved the guys life.

Sounds like they need them.

What the hell's wrong with people in Alberta?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
CALGARY - RCMP are investigating the possible murder of a former Mountie after a dispute on a Alberta ranch turned deadly.The bylaw officer was killed after an altercation broke out in the Foothills Municipal District, 10 km west of Calgary.

RCMP spokeswoman Sgt. Patricia Neely said investigators with the RCMP and the Calgary Police Service were still trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle after someone took the injured officer to a nearby police station.

He was later taken to Rocky View Hospital, but was pronounced dead.

The man who drove the victim to the cop station is now in police custody, but has not been charged.

Neely would not name the deceased, but sources confirmed he is retired Mountie Rod Lazenby.

Bruce Adams, the owner of the property where the incident took place, said his tenant had run-ins with Lazenby in the past.

"He's got as few dogs, that was what the whole battle was about," Adams said, from his own property not far from the scene.

Adams estimated the tenant had about 25 Blue Heeler dogs, far in excess of what is allowable on the rural properties, but the animals posed no problems and were in good health.

He said he believed a neighbour who was trying to sell his property may have complained because the dogs would bark if you got too close to them.

"They don't bark if nobody goes near," he said. "They're in good shape."

He would only identify the tenant by his first name, Trevor.

Adams suggested his tenant was co-operative during earlier visits by Lazenby.

"The one time that he came Trevor even called the RCMP in on it. Trevor did himself," he said.

"We're working with the Calgary Police Service to determine exactly what did occur," she said. "We do have one subject of interest in custody," said Neely.

"I don't know if he lives here, or was present," she said, of the residence where the suspected altercation occurred, tucked in amongst trees and hidden from the roadway.

"We are considering it a crime scene. We are protecting it until we can determine what happened."

She did not know why Lazenby might have been attending the home.

"Why the peace officer was here (is) part of the investigation," Neely said.

She said the investigation was ongoing and no criminal charges have been laid.

Sun News : Retired Mountie killed in ranch altercation

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Our town council is bringing in 2 new ones and they say it wont cost us a dime,that's because the fines they give out are supposed to pay their wages and upkeep so I expect to see a lot more of this soon.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
You have to remember there is small town Alberta, Mayerthorpe, and here and
other small towns. Its not confined to Alberta though, there is small town BC as
well. Ever been to Beaverdell BC? They do what ever the hell they please.
The nearest cops are likely an hour away at least.
People in some of these little towns do things their own way and what happens
is usually kept quiet. I have hear a lot of tales from Cape Breton as well. Not
so much with authorities but disputes with neighbours or folks who pi**ed the
locals off. Remember the fishing dispute in New Brunswick a few years ago?
We have creeping law by paper in this country. There is the condo folks who
make it clear you can't have a clothesline, or your own garden. We have the
bylaw people who hound people about weeds, yet they won't allow sprays
Roundup is more efficient that pulling weeds. Mix it with Chateau and there is
no weeds for a longer period of time and there is a new one where they won't
come back for a year. But some guy with a paper rules your life.
No I am not saying we should beat people to death or at all, its just that there
are small town people who don't give a damn about the law. I am glad I am
not one of them.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
other small towns. Its not confined to Alberta though, there is small town BC as
No I am not saying we should beat people to death or at all, its just that there
not one of them.

It was a ranch,a few miles from town.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
not one of them.

Beaverdell might even be a little tame, compared to Lasqueti Island in Georgia Strait, served by foot passenger ferry only (there's a few "vehicles" on the Island that are barged in) Anyway that Island when I worked over there in the '80s was a laugh a minute, not uncommon to see logs yarded down the main street behind a behemoth of an old vehicle quite often issuing clouds of black smoke, sans plates, registration, insurance. I think the cop went over there once a week predictably on the same day at the same hour. (So there was no yarding logs on Wednesdays)
Anyone who had power had their own generator.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Wow, where do you come up with this crap? Do you feel marginalized as you are not deemed fit to catch dogs, therefore you take out your rage on the good people who do it?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Wow, where do you come up with this crap? Do you feel marginalized as you are not deemed fit to catch dogs, therefore you take out your rage on the good people who do it?
They started out as town dogcatchers,then became bylaw officers,they worked on a quota for dogs at first and some lured the dogs out of the yard and got caught and some of those poodles have pretty big owners.Hope that clears things up for ya!

Also i'll dumb it down for ya,our 2 new bylaw officers make their wage through the fines they will issue if your lawn is an inch too long or too short.

I have no rage,I never get mad.

GroundWater

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2008
Gibbons
I don't consider these to be by-law officers, there's have been a huge increase of these Peace officers in Alberta in the last 5 years, they are more or less traffic cops, they have taken over from the RCMP and, are the ones that usally pull you over for speeding.

And they are unarmed, it was just a matter of time before something like this occured.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I don't consider these to be by-law officers, there's have been a huge increase of these Peace officers in Alberta in the last 5 years, they are more or less traffic cops, they have taken over from the RCMP and, are the ones that usally pull you over for speeding.

And they are unarmed, it was just a matter of time before something like this occured.
They all do the same work now, sheriffs,peace officers,DOT,they all work together now and theres a couple more rural ones i cant think of also,I heard he was a peace officer and not a bylaw officer or is there a differance?
When they do traffic blitzes on highway #3 they are all involved.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They all do the same work now, sheriffs,peace officers,DOT,they all work together now and theres a couple more rural ones i cant think of also,I heard he was a peace officer and not a bylaw officer or is there a differance?
When they do traffic blitzes on highway #3 they are all involved.

Yep, sometimes I wonder if there isn't a little overkill, it seems now the main fire truck is dispatched to pretty well every emergency, even if its a heart attack. Can't they send the defibulator in a smaller vehicle? Must cost an arm and a leg to dispatch that sucker. Is there something I'm missing? :smile:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They started out as town dogcatchers,then became bylaw officers,they worked on a quota for dogs at first and some lured the dogs out of the yard and got caught and some of those poodles have pretty big owners.Hope that clears things up for ya!

Also i'll dumb it down for ya,our 2 new bylaw officers make their wage through the fines they will issue if your lawn is an inch too long or too short.

I have no rage,I never get mad.

That's their job, dumbass, just like cops issue speeding tickets. Are you really that dense?