PQ/Labrador Iron Belt Railroad

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ban it before it makes money and puts food on the tables of those in PQ. If it does go ahead. I want a my cut. From this AND Muskrat Falls. NL is making too much money as it is.

MONTREAL -- Canadian National Railway (TSX:CNR), several mining companies and a major pension fund manager are looking at building new transportation infrastructure to serve iron ore producers at the Quebec-Labrador border.

Besides Montreal-based CN, the participants include the Caisse de depot pension fund manager as well as Labrador Iron Mines Holdings Ltd. (TSX:LIM).

Other partners include Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. (NYSE:CLF), a big multinational iron ore producer, as well as Canadian public mining companies New Millennium Iron (TSX:NML) and Alderon Iron Ore Corp. (TSX:ADV).

The group has agreed to fund a feasibility study to analyze the cost and engineering requirements for a rail line and ore-handling terminal.

CN says it will co-ordinate an application to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, clearing the way for discussions with affected parties including First Nations.

Canadian National didn't disclose how much the project might cost or when it could be completed.

"CN will work closely with mining companies in the group and the Caisse to determine the best design and right timing for the development of rail infrastructure to tap the significant iron ore production potential of the Labrador Trough in northern Quebec and Labrador," said Claud Mongeau, president and chief executive of the Montreal-based railway company.

Rod Cooper, Labrador Iron Mines' president and chief operating officer, said in a separate statement that a new terminal handling facility at the Port of Sept-iles would complement plans for a new dock at the port.

"We are excited to move ahead with these developments, as they represent important steps to enhance long-term rail and port access for LIM's iron ore," Cooper said.

Read more: Railway, miners to study Quebec-Labrador iron belt project | CTVNews

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The article says a new line and new terminal at port. The old ones are fine and eco-friendly but the new one is sure to be problematic for the lobsters.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Plus, the existing one is owned (I think) by ArcelorMittal, so I can see why they might want competition, but it sure seems like an expensive proposition to keep the Indians and Chinese in Iron Ore.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I travelled the existing line 55 years ago. Worked at the camp where they were planning the spur line to Wabush. The trains were over a mile long.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Plus, the existing one is owned (I think) by ArcelorMittal, so I can see why they might want competition, but it sure seems like an expensive proposition to keep the Indians and Chinese in Iron Ore.
These days we have to ship ore and heavy oil overseas. Smelters and refineries are evil remember.